Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Getting to Galveston is such a hassle!!

We are booked on the Conquest out of Galveston in Sept. It seems like such a hassle to get to Galveston. We need to fly. What do cruisers do from our part of the country? [/b]
Legend 2006
Spirit 2006 & 2007 & 2009
Conquest 2007 & 2009
Pride 2008
Dream 2010
Norwegian Dawn 2011
Magic 2012
Princess Grand 2013
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Hi grandy,,

Mehawk says: this is how you fly to cruise out of galveston,,,

You can fly into either of the TWO airports in Houston.

IAH is Bush Intercontinental and is on the far north side of Houston. That will put you about 1 1/2 hours away.

HOB is William B. Hobby and it is on the south side of Houston and is about 45 minutes away.

Galveston Limosine can shuttle you back and forth or, of course, you can rent a car. If you are planning on coming in early, get a place in Galveston and enjoy it.

Hope this helps,,,

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:21 PM
First Mate

First of all relax Things will go much smoother when you relax.

Galveston isn't a hassle unless you make it one. If it were so awful, then the cruise lines would find another port.

That said, we drove (7 hours) to reach Galveston. No hassle, just FAST moving traffic!

I think the advice the pp gave you is what you need. Just decide on your airport and take the limo service from there.

I would advice you get a room a day prior to your cruise so you can unwind and enjoy! For goodness sake, this is a VACATION

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

No big deal. When we cruised out of Galveston we drove from Iowa... Yes it took a while but it was added time with the wife. Now the down side to the drive, (MY MOTHER IN LAW WAS IN THE BACK SEAT) . OK on a serious note.. Fly into Houston, catch transportation to Galveston and stay at a nice hotel for the night and then a taxi to the port........
Enjoy...
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Admiral

I'm sorry our airports in Houston are not closer to Galveston .

Also, the code of Hobby Airport is HOU, the main (newer airport) Bush Intercontinental Airport is IAH.

Galveston is a great city visit, so if at all possible, come in a day or 2 before departure.

I wish I could offer a personal shuttle service! I think that would be great fun!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

When we cruised out of Galveston, we flew into Bush International (IAH) because we flew Delta. If/when we cruise through Galveston again we will fly to Hobby (HOB). I've heard that it is much more convenient. For us, that means flying Southwest next time.

In order to simplify transportation, we rented a car oneway from Houston to Galveston; it was not very expensive. Also, there were a few tourist things we wanted to do in Galveston so we flew in a day early.

Galveston is very manageable if you can fly in a day early. We would do it again...

Monarch of the Seas - December 2006
Elation - April 2006
Sensation - May 2005
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Captain

We are driving down in Jan. for a 5 day on the Ecstasy. We will have a 700 mile trip one way. I know that doesn't help you. If I were going to fly I would do the Hobby airport and rent a car. We are trying to get a room at the Harbor house. They have free cruise parking, and you can walk to the pier. Hope you come up with a plan that works for you.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old April 19th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Galveston is a easy port to sail from,easy to get to from Houston.We sailed on the Conquest.
While in Galveston we stayed at the Harbor House.They charge a small fee for parking for the week.It was $20.00 if my memory is correct.The Strand,beach ,etc are in walking distance of the hotel!
Great place to visit!
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:55 AM
First Mate

Gary, you are correct about the Harbor House.

We stayed there prior to our cruise as well and left our car. $20 for the week!

Yes the hotel is a bit pricier but you are RIGHT there! The ships sail right outside your window!

We woke on Saturday morning to a ship docking and then on Sunday we watched the Conquest. It was awesome.

If you want to stay at the Harbor House, you need to book early as it is a smaller hotel and books up fast.

http://www.harborhousepier21.com/

Old April 19th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Captain

There are bus shuttles that run from both airports. Call the cruise line or you TA to find out more information. It might be cheaper to rent a car, depending on how many people are in your group.

Libragirl
Old April 21st, 2007, 03:14 AM
Captain

I'll trade ya the hassel! Were driving from dallas and it should take a good 5-6 hours.

Its not a lot different then those flying into orlando to cruise...just rent a car! You can rent a car so cheap no days. Make sure you shop the best deals on line and sign up for the reward memberships and reserve it in advance. There are always rental agencies in the airports that will let you rent and drop off at the terminal close to the ship.

have fun!
Old April 21st, 2007, 08:14 AM
First Mate

Nurseypoo5, we just 2 hours North of you in Durant, OK

The drive really isn't that bad. The night we drove into Galveston everyone was cruising 80-90 mph so like I said, traffic moves quickly!

Old April 21st, 2007, 10:10 AM
Admiral

8)

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRT
Galveston is a easy port to sail from,easy to get to from Houston.We sailed on the Conquest.
While in Galveston we stayed at the Harbor House.They charge a small fee for parking for the week.It was $20.00 if my memory is correct.The Strand,beach ,etc are in walking distance of the hotel!
Great place to visit!
I looked into the Harbor house, looks great. I called and they do not offer one night stays. How many nights did you stay
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryvet9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRT
Great place to visit!
I looked into the Harbor house, looks great. I called and they do not offer one night stays. How many nights did you stay
We stayed there in Jan.06 for 1 night.We checked in on Saturday afternoon at 2:00 P.M.,and boarded the Conquest at 11:30 A.M on Sunday.We did not have reservations at the Harbor House,just walked in and asked if they had anything available and told them we were going on a cruise.Very nice people, and they told us about the parking on their lot.
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Admiral

A lot depends on your location from where you are flying. Where I am it would mean flying SWA which means Hobby Airport which makes the trip into Galveston much easier. Such ports of embarkation as Mobile and Norfolk would mean a huge pain for us.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Admiral

terryvet9, I have stayed there twice and each time it was a one night stay. Call again and tell them that you know a handful of people who have done so.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
terryvet9, I have stayed there twice and each time it was a one night stay. Call again and tell them that you know a handful of people who have done so.
Do you happen to remember how much you paid?
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany
When we cruised out of Galveston, we flew into Bush International (IAH) because we flew Delta. If/when we cruise through Galveston again we will fly to Hobby (HOB). I've heard that it is much more convenient. For us, that means flying Southwest next time.

In order to simplify transportation, we rented a car oneway from Houston to Galveston; it was not very expensive. Also, there were a few tourist things we wanted to do in Galveston so we flew in a day early.

Galveston is very manageable if you can fly in a day early. We would do it again...
Brittany, Which car rental agency did you use? My husband and I are thinking about renting a car at IAH. We would only need it one way.

Thanks for any help you can give us!!

Libragirl