Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2007, 02:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel
Default Cabin choice-g=how do you choose?

I see and read many posts and see people who have inside cabins on the lowest possible deck. I have cruised twice and have booked a third (and fourth before I leave for my third). My first was a twin share outside cabin on the Holiday in 1991. I loved the outside cabin and vowed if I was ever able to cruise again I would have nothing less than a outside cabin. This past January I had a balcony on Verandah dech (Victory) and now I would never go with anything other than a balcony cabin!!!

What drives you to choose the cabin you choose? Price, location, or you don't care where the cabin in as long as you hve a place to crash for the night.

I still can't figure that ticker out, so in the meantime I don't have one...that and my computer crashed and the link to the ticker was on that computer......

Holiday 1991
Victory Jan 2007
Triumph Sept 2007
Conquest Jan/Feb 2008
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2007, 03:14 PM
Admiral

When we first started cruising, we sailed on the SS Norway. Outside cabin. She did not have any balcony cabins. After a referb, they added the Sky Deck with about 6 balcony cabins all the way forward. After that, we were hooked.

Since then we book mini-suits, or the equivalent. It is not so much the balcony, but rather being able to open the door and go outside or open the door to let some nice sea air in.

Unlike many others, we do spend time in the cabin. So the extra room is nice.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old April 21st, 2007, 04:17 PM
Admiral

I look for a cabin that is convenient to get to as I get on/off th eship at the various ports of call. I also want to get to the venues easily. I enjoy being able to look out and see the stars, moon, sun and ports as I lie in bed.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 21st, 2007, 04:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

My money is tight and I couldn't care less about the room so I get a 1A Guarantee and hope to get upgraded so I have a bigger bed (although I've had a 1A and the bunk beds were perfectly fine too.) I don't think I would spend more on the cabin even if I had money because I just don't intend to be inside that much.

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old April 21st, 2007, 04:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

My wife and I also prefer a room with a private balcony as well. We try to get a room that is not too far forward or aft so during rough seas, there's not as much movement. We also try to stay away from being too close to a stairway, elevator and lundry room (noise).
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:10 PM
Admiral

I always prefer a balcony, but sometimes the cost will force me to look elsewhere. Some cruises are just more expensive than others. There have been times that I booked so close to sail date, only very expensive balconies were available, so we booked inside cabins.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:42 PM
Captain

My plan, since we do not have that much cruising experience, is to get the Maximum amount of cruises in for the least amount of money. I do believe that I will enjoy the balcony much more than the 1-a we have booked now. I will try and get a Balcony for cruises that are 7+ days. On shorter I believe we will be fine with the 1-a. I may adjust my opinion after our next cruise. We all have our opinions, and that is what makes this board so great.
Well this is my opinion, and my logic. Hey read my saying in my signature.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old April 21st, 2007, 06:15 PM
Admiral

I personally enjoyed the balcony but really could take it or leave it.
My wife, on the other hand, spent hours on end in a chair on our balcony.

I doubt she'll even consider an outside with a window going forward.
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

DW and I have only stayed in an outside cabin-claustrophobia or just the idea of possibly getting it is enough to keep me on the outside of the ship. Plus I like to look out outside once in a while. Also away from the elevators. In our 4 cruises we've only been midships to minimize movement. We will be trying a balcony for the first time in November. The location will be aft for the first time also. We will be directly below the aft pool on the Lido Deck so I'm not sure about that location.

T
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

This is the first time that I picked out my own cabins, before I called the TA.

My kids stay in an inside room, and I can barely stand to go in there, because it is to enclosed. The window rooms are fine, but the balcony is the best.

We got a really bad room on the Elation, so I learned not to do a guarantee, and to not trust the TA when only I would know our comfort level.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 21st, 2007, 10:59 PM
Admiral

I book Cat 1A. I don't care if they put me in the engine room. Just give me access to a shower, toilet and somewhere to hang my clothes and I am happy. I could, actually, sleep quite well on a pool lounge chair to be honest.

I have a big balcony. During the day it is called the Lido Deck!!!

It is all in personal preference. By booking Cat 1A, I can take 2+ cruises a year. If I was stuck on having a tiny balcony (rather than the Lido Deck), I would only be able to do 1 cruise a year (if that).

As far as your ticker is concerned, click on my ticker and it will direct you to the website that offers a free ticker. It is then a matter of selecting the proper format once the ticker is created. I believe this forum board uses the BBCode format. Not sure. Trial and error.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old April 22nd, 2007, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Very interesting comments.

I like the balcony, and I do admit I spent a fair bit of time just hanging out on the balcony because it was quiet and the best place to just watch the water..

hope this works...

Old April 22nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Passenger

I liked my oceanview, this will be my first balcony room. I wanted a balcony because my son is going this year.... My wife and I may need to be "alone" sometime.....

Caribbean Hotels & Resorts

2006 Carnival Holiday
2007 Carnival Legend
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:22 PM
Admiral

If price is a major concern, I book the cheapest guaranteed cabin. Otherwise a balcony cabin is the preferred choice. A cruise to Alaska is the one itinerary on which a balcony cabin is a must ! Look for a cabin amidships, not next to the elevators, and close to locations that are important to you.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:07 PM
Passenger

we usually go with 6a ( oceanview). I'm sure a balconey is great but with 3 teens we need 2 cabins and the cruise gets pricey. ( excursions, etc.) Also, I figure ther is no way the kids could fall overboard with an oceanview. I'm just a little afraid of heights. We all have our ssues, I guess. One time our girls had an inside across the hall from us and they felt like they were in a closet. Still< with teen girls it's so essential to have 2 bathrooms. Happy cruising.

Old April 24th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Passenger

we have only cruised twice,both were 7 day. first cruise we had an inside room and to tell you the truth we were so busy during the cruise we did not spend much time in the room , except to sleep and change. second cruise we had a balcony room and now we are hooked! we will never cruise without a balcony. you can spend so much quite time together and just enjoy the water, weather, and quite time.
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Passenger

I've been inside, outside and Saturday is my first balcony. As of now I could settle on an outside room but we'll see after 7 days on a balcony. My main item in selecting my cabin is location. I don't look for the free upgrade, once I choose my cabin that is where I would like to be. I look above me below me to make sure the galley and disco are away from me. I would rather have rooms above and below me. Away from the elevators and stairs too. Forward, Aft so far that has made no diffrence to me. My TA knows this and makes sure I get the vacation I am looking forward too. Hope this helps.