Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:09 PM
First Mate

Default what was your first time like, stepping on a cruise ship?

What are some of the things everyone had done the first time they stepped onto a cruise ship? When my son and I step on board Sensation in July, once I take my carry on to our room I will probably want to wander all over and get used to the layout of the ship. I printed out a 2-page document showing the deck plans so we know where everything is. And of course I will want to take photos of everything, and probably head for lunch on the Lido deck.

When the ship pulls out of port, what do you do? Are you near the stern watching the port behind you or on the bow watching the sea open up in front of you?

I'm having vivid daydreams of what it must be like and I'm sure the reality wil be a million times more exciting! 3 months to go.

I've been on small daily excusions on Lake Michigan, and took a 3-night windjammer cruise in Maine many years ago, but this will be my first time (and my teenage son's) on a "real" cruise ship.
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Admiral

The first thing I do is find my cabin to dump off my stuff. Then its off to the lido deck to pick up my drink of the day and hang around up there as we pull away from port. Then its time to wander and explore the ship.

Ahhhhh.. the memories...

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

I walk around looking like an idiot,saying to the wife" Hey Maw!" Isn't that the theme to Jaws and the Titantic they are playing????
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Passenger

Well the first cruise I took was on my honeymoon August 19, 1995 and aboard the Carnival Ecstasy. My wife and I fell in love with cruising after only being on board for less that a day. Since it was our honeymoon we drank, danced and well, you know quite a lot. It was a great feeling seeing the ship pull out of Miami and waving to the cars and people along McArthur Blvd. Well that was 12 years and 9 cruises ago. My wife and counting the eight short days until we will be cruising out of our home port of NYC aboard the Carnival Miracle.
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Admiral

We found our room, then my BF had to read ALL the safety things. He figured out where we had to go for the muster drill. When it was called we walked right to it........After that we headed up to one of the decks to watch sailaway. We have a balcony this time so might just watch from our balcony. I guess we will decide that when we get there. Oh, and we each bought a sailaway drink. We were starving be then and went to find some food. They had given us a late dinner time and we couldn't wait that long so we ate at the buffet.

Need some cruise help?
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Admiral

The very first cruise we took was in '97. After I cleared the gangway and made it through the entrance way I was so amazed at the beauty of the ship I just stood there with my mouth agape for 10 minutes.
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Admiral

8) 8) I'll let you know when I return on May 5th 8) 8)

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

I stood in awe looking at the ship from the dock for a few minutes. There were 3 ships in port at Port Canaveral and while ours was the smallest it was still huge. I took pictures. When I got on the ship I just gawked and gawked. We couldn't get into our cabins yet so we hit the buffet for lunch. It was so incredible. I was with 3 other women. I spent time taking pictures of all of us, the food, the buffet, and the dining room. We managed to find the boat drill station and took more silly pictures of us in the lifejackets. We had been able to get into our cabins by then to drop off carry on stuff.
Then we went up on deck to walk around and watch as we sailed and take more pictures. We didn't stay in one spot long. We waved and I gawked some more. The others had cruised before. It was magic. I didn't know two of the women well and didn't see a lot of them during our short voyage to Nassau but I enjoyed it all. All of my trips have been awsome and exciting.
Be careful of all of the photographs that are offered. Some of them only come in 10x12 for the first one and it can get expensive. Pay attention. Be selective. The ship photographers take a ton of photographs at lots of locations on the ship and on embarkation and sometimes on the docks of different locations. I love to look at them but you can drop some change. I usually get the embarkation photo as a souvenir.
We would cruise more if we had the time and money. 8)
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:38 PM
First Mate

wow, I will definitely be a "gawker" - it's fun to hear everyone's first thoughts as they board, and can't wait to have my own first time gawk!
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Admiral

My first impression upon stepping into the atrium on my first cruise was wonder. All the books, TV advertisements, CruiseMates photos, online tours, etc., do not do justice to seeing and feeling the ship up close and personal. I must admit that I was a little taken aback by the size of our stateroom (ocean view room) but very quickly adjusted. There is plenty of closet and storage space to stash everything away. On my first cruise, we did not arrive until after 2:00 p.m. and rushed around a little before the mandatory lifeboat drill. On all subsequent cruises, we arrive before Noon and have plenty of time prior to sailing to relax and explore. Upon boarding, the staff will pass out a little booklet with diagrams of each deck. You probably will not be able to access your stateroom until after 1:00 p.m. The drinks, food, and music will be waiting for you on the Lido deck. Relax and have lunch then set out to explore the ship before it gets really crowded. You should also check your Sail & Sign card to make sure you have been assigned the dining time you requested. If not, go see the Maitre 'd who will be located in one of the dining rooms answering guest's questions (you can also check out your table location). When you are allowed entrance to your stateroom, stash your carry-on and head back out. Oftentimes, our luggage is delivered prior to sailaway so I unpack quickly if I have time. When the ship pulls out of port, we head for the highest deck, forward, Port side (if we're sailing out of Miami). Waiters are walking around with the drink of the day and taking orders for any other beverages. I have purchased small bottles of bubbles from Michael's Craft Store (used at weddings instead of rice or confetti) and hand them out to my fellow passengers to enjoy as we blow bubbles off the top deck and watch them float on the wind towards the funnel. Sailaway is a magical experience that I never tire of. Have a wonderful time with your son!!! I cruise often with my 16 year old grandson and he's a gamer so he brings his Nintendo DS and portable DVD player, IPod, etc.
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:50 PM
First Mate

I love the bubbles idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Captain

I feel that if you don't get excited after several cruises, you should probobly find a new form of vacation. I don't think I will ever get over the awe of stepping on a cruise ship. A least I hope I don't.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old April 25th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Admiral

When you first get onboard the ship, you instantly start trying to absorb everything. The ships are so beautiful. The excitement of coming days at sea, away from every care and worry.

I confess, though, that on our last cruise (no. 7) we had inside cabins. We were in our DS's cabin visiting with our son, DIL and precious grandbaby, enjoying drinks, when sailaway occurred. It was O.K., though, because we were as happy as those up on the deck, watching the shore disappear over the horizen. We laughed about the fact that we weren't up on deck for sailaway.

Every cruise is special and exciting!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:12 PM
First Mate

The Sensation was my very first cruse also, back then it was a seven day, and I will always remember every bit of that week , from pulling up to the ships, to walking into the atrium, I still get that exciting feeling , and its been about ten years ago, and now I am getting ready to go on my eighth cruise

Some things do change over time..........
Ten years ago, I was so happy with a window but then I moved to a balcony, and now I have to have the aft, and now I must have a corner balcony, and the biggest is I have to always have another booked, when I finish, even if its a year away.
enjoy!!!!!!!!!1
Destiny
Norwegian Majesty
Legend
Legend
Valor
Valor again Yahoo!
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Passenger

I have a feeling that after you go on this 1st cruise that you will want to go on one every single year! Thats whats happened to us. We are getting ready to go on our 3rd one, we took our 1st one in 2005. The feeling once you go aboard is hard to describe but I guess magical is the best word for it!! It is by far the best vacation we have ever been on and we think the value is just wonderful given that all your meals & entertainment are included. We always spent more money just going to Myrtle Beach for a week. Have fun and report back to us when you get back!
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:24 PM
First Mate

My thoughts were. My god this is a large ship, it's not grey, I don't have to salute anyone and I don't have to swab the deck.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: what was your first time like, stepping on a cruise ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellet1959
What are some of the things everyone had done the first time they stepped onto a cruise ship? When my son and I step on board Sensation in July, once I take my carry on to our room I will probably want to wander all over and get used to the layout of the ship. I printed out a 2-page document showing the deck plans so we know where everything is. And of course I will want to take photos of everything, and probably head for lunch on the Lido deck.

When the ship pulls out of port, what do you do? Are you near the stern watching the port behind you or on the bow watching the sea open up in front of you?

I'm having vivid daydreams of what it must be like and I'm sure the reality wil be a million times more exciting! 3 months to go.

I've been on small daily excusions on Lake Michigan, and took a 3-night windjammer cruise in Maine many years ago, but this will be my first time (and my teenage son's) on a "real" cruise ship.
Michelle,

Every time I board a ship it's like the first time all over again, man what a rush!

Bill
Old April 29th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Captain

we always go to pur cabin drop off our stuff then we just relax
Old April 29th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Great question and I will answer it three ways

1)my very first cruise was in 1975 with my then GF and her family of 16 on HAL Rotterdam to Bermuda out of New York City. I really had no clue what to expect and I followed the lead of my future father-in-law. I was lost and stumbled around alot and didn't appreciate what I was experiencing

2)my "second" first time that I absolutely fell in love with cruising was my first cruise to Europe on the then Sun Line Stella Maris (held about 300) in 1985 out of Athens and we were only one of six American couples on board. The excitement of leaving out of Athens, sailing to the Greek Islands of Santorini and Myknos and then to Istanbul with an all Greek crew was incredible. It's like when you fall in "real" love for the very first time with a woman that just seduces you just by being in her presence

3) my "third" first time was being on my first smooth jazz charter out of Galveston on the Conquest last year. The excitement of seeing my smooth jazz idols in person and every night filled with great music and all night jam sessions combined with the romance of the sea and every guest in sync with the music (our common bond) "sealed the deal"

One never forgets their "first time" of cruising
Old April 29th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Admiral

I was absolutely infactuated with the sights. The atrium was unlike anything I could have imagined.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:57 PM
First Mate

Thanks everyone..... I love hearing your experiences! I know I will fall in love with cruising and though being a single mom in Chicago area I probably can't afford to cruise more than once every 4-5 years, I will certainly do it as often as I can! I do know that when I retire in 20 years I will more to Florida so I can do it at least once a year!
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I can't remember the first cruise since it was in 1991, but I do know that I was awestruck by the size of the ship. The Holiday is only 46000 tonnes but it seemed like a monster.

Now, in January when we boarded the Victory I had to make my mother come to her senses because she was blown away by the size of the ship. Once I figured out how to open the door, I pulled my small carry on case in dropped it and ran for the balcony. I stayed out there for a good 10 minutes soaking in the scenery.

We were on the starboard side and faced the causeway with all those million dollar homes when we left port. We were bow in and had to go to the end of the channel to turn around. I got awesone shots of Freedom of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, Norwegian Pearl and Jewel. I didn't get any of the Valor because it left before us and was bow out, so she justg pulled out and took off. I stayed on the balcony until the ship cleared the channel. It took close to 45 minutes.

My next cruise will be just as memorable, even though it is only 9 months after the last.....I cruise alone, so no one to drag around or have to wait for either....
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Passenger

We checked out our cabin, had lunch then went out as we sailed away from miami. It was the first time that me, my sister and my brother (and spouses) had ever went on vacation all together. So we were all happy and carefree as we sailed away. It was one of the best vacations ever.