Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Passenger

Default Cruising during hurricane season??

How do you all feel about cruising in late August? We have it booked but are nervous and considering canceling because of the possibility of bad weather. This would be the kids 1st cruise and we don't want it spoiled for them by sea sickness! We did get a GREAT price though.
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I would not let the threat of hurricane or seasickness stop you and your family from this cruise. The ship will stay clear and even reroute the itinerary.

Plan your cruise, take out the insurance and enjoy!!!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 25th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Admiral

I have cruised during the summer quite a few times with my grandson and only had to be re-routed once due to an approaching storm. Our stop in St. Maarten was cancelled as the hurricane was heading straight for the island. Other than that, the Captain headed into calm seas and we felt no ill effects from the approaching storm. I did, however, ride out Hurricane Wilma on the Fascination in October 2005 and that was quite a wild ride!! So, it doesn't matter which month you cruise, you can't do a thing about the weather. Children are very resilient and adapt very well to any situation. If the parents are having a good time, the children will. We had a wonderful time on the Fascination and my grandson still laughs about it and calls our cruise, the wild ride on the crazy boat and said it was better than riding Space Mountain at Disney World.
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Admiral

We usually book between Sept. and Nov. We don't worry about the weather. The ships Captain stears clear of hurricanes. DW and I were on a cruise a few years ago when Charlie was churning out in the Caribbean we went around him and continued on with our cruise. What an experience though. It was very windy day and night. At night the light show was awsome. Thunder and lightening.
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

You can read various posts on here about people who cruise during hurricane season - mainly to take advantage of the lower prices.

The Captain will steer around a hurricane. The ship will NEVER go directly into the storm.

But these are things you need to consider - do you mind missing a port & going somewhere else instead? Do you mind having a sea day instead of being at the port? These are things that can and have happened.

Expect some rocky weather in case the Captain has to play tag with a hurricane. Even though the storm could be hundreds of miles away, the ocean is vast & the waves can be felt.

Definately get the insurance. If you don't & something happens, you can't blame anyone but yourself.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Hurricane Season is kind of hard to avoid. It runs from late May to the end of November with the worse months being September/October.

Cruise prices after Labor Day and before Thanksgiving nosedive.

I cruise every year in early October. I just hope for the best.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Here is a question. What if, due to a hurricane being between where you live and where your home port and the weather is SO bad that it makes driving to port a bad decision, would you have to file on the insurance or would the cruise line reimburse you or just transfer your reservation to another cruise? I don't worry about being on the ship, they will take care of you. I worry more about getting to the port if the weather is dangerous to drive in.

Need some cruise help?
Old April 26th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I usually end up cruising during hurricane season and only once have we encountered a hurricane. We were in the gulf when Hurricane Katrina hit. While it was "bumpy" for about 5-6 hours that night (we left Cozumel at midnight) the Captain did a great job of getting us out of the way. The next day I went up on deck expecting to find wind and rain and we had a gorgeous sunny day with calm seas (we went around the lower part of Cuba and well out of the storm's way). We did end up having to disembark in Ft. Lauderdale instead of Tampa (Carnival provided buses back to Tampa but I just switched my flight and flew home from Ft. Lauderdale). I wouldn't worry about it and just plan to go and have a great time. My kids thought it was a great adventure and had a great time telling all of their friends about being in the gulf of mexico when a hurricane hit when they got home.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 27th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Admiral

We too book at least one cuise each year during "hurricane season", and have never missed a cruise, or even had rough weather. Lucky? Yes, I suppose so, however the risk is well worth it when you consider the price break! As the others have stated, just take out the trip insurance, and don't worry about weather. If you can board the ship, the captain will keep you out of the storm. (you might even get an extended vacation for free!) Just consider the weather thing part of the great adventure of cruizin'.

See you aboard,

Ken
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Check whatever cruise insurance you have carefully to make sure that a problem getting to the port would be covered.

I have only cruised outside of hurricane season once officially, with the other in December.

Late August and September have such good rates, it's hard to resist adn that's when I usually book cruises.

Take some Bonine (a different formula than Dramamine) in case the ship starts rocking, and consider giving it to your kids BEFORE they get sick if you think there's a chance.

Enjoy your cruise.

d

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004