CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Mandatory Lifeboat Drill! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/332312-mandatory-lifeboat-drill.html)

Allure April 25th, 2007 11:21 PM

Mandatory Lifeboat Drill!

Is this a must?
I did it on my last Cruise and it was soooooooooooooo long!!!!!!!!!!
How long are they now,that was 10 years ago!

marvlgirl April 25th, 2007 11:22 PM

It is a requirement of every cruise. They last maybe 15-20 min.

lauriloo April 25th, 2007 11:33 PM

Considering a cruise ship just sank a few weeks ago, don't you think it's important to know what to do and where to go? Mandatory is mandatory and I'm told they hold up the drill to find the people trying to skip out. not a good way to make friends.

SUSAN CURTIS April 26th, 2007 01:32 AM

Ya, what she said. Plus where else are you gonna get all those great lifeboat drill pictures :?:

Phil&Liz April 26th, 2007 08:57 AM

LOL yeah like "sweaty guy" we sat next to during the drill who we picked on. Turns out he was our table mate for every dinner !!

Leaving the house now for Galveston !! See y'all next week.

Phil & Liz

Cassandra April 26th, 2007 09:07 AM

Yes, your cabin is checked and security is around the ship making sure people go to this. It's mandatory & a law.

Would you want to run around in terror if something happened & you don't have a clue as to what to do?

Floridanamaw April 26th, 2007 10:35 AM

It's not that bad. You cannot hide, they will find you :!:

misguidedangel April 26th, 2007 09:06 PM

It is necessary and can be quite fun because you meet lots of people in line with the same fashion sense that you have at the moment--a lifejacket and sweat rolling off your face!!!!

Fern April 26th, 2007 09:35 PM

Re: Mandatory Lifeboat Drill!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allure
Is this a must?
I did it on my last Cruise and it was soooooooooooooo long!!!!!!!!!!
How long are they now,that was 10 years ago!

Absolutely! It may have been long 10 years ago, but now it doesn't take but about 10-15 minutes, unless the crew has to "hunt" for the people who don't show up :( !

We enjoy the drill (as much as we can LOL ) because it means we'll be at sailaway soon!

Thoth April 26th, 2007 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauriloo
Considering a cruise ship just sank a few weeks ago, don't you think it's important to know what to do and where to go? Mandatory is mandatory and I'm told they hold up the drill to find the people trying to skip out. not a good way to make friends.

Exactly !!! :idea: The Sea Diamond went down and at last count, only 2 unfortunate souls were uncounted for out of over 1000. These lifeboat drills seem to work.

wakedreams April 27th, 2007 01:54 AM

we hate the part where we have to wear the orange life vests, but .....they do make for some really GREAT cruise photos. :)

It is necessary, it is mandatory, but ...it is also a signal that we will be sailing away very soon....we get excited!!

lhp April 27th, 2007 08:48 AM

Things have really changed in 10 years.

Carnival is making it as "painless" as possible. In December, we sat in a lounge and did not have to put the jacket on until the 10 seconds of official..."this is how you put the vest on" and then we could take it right back off.

Just think of it as yet another "cruise event"....because it woiuldn't be a cruise without it!!

bobbo777 April 28th, 2007 01:53 PM

Its required

Just don't blow the whistle!

Irish Shark April 28th, 2007 02:19 PM

Re: Its required

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbo777

Just think about how many have done that. Let the germs spread. :roll:

lauriloo April 28th, 2007 02:26 PM

Re: Its required

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbo777

Just think about how many have done that. Let the germs spread. :roll:

most germs don't live that long, especially without water. if they did, no one would survive being anywhere in public. but there's no reason to be the annoying whistle-blower anyway :)

if you really want to worry about something, be sure to clean the tv remote. that's supposedly the dirtiest thing in a hotel room and probably something the attendant rarely wipes off thoroughly.

sailgirl April 28th, 2007 02:49 PM

I don't care how quickly germs die. I still won't blow the wistle unless I'm in the H2O LOL

subtropic April 28th, 2007 10:43 PM

who blows the whistle ?

Ron April 28th, 2007 11:02 PM

Germs or no germs, just think about how many mouths those whistles may have been in-- :shock:-- now just think about what all may have been in those mouths -- :shock: --- still want to stick it in your mouth ?? :)

lauriloo April 28th, 2007 11:21 PM

hey, I bring my own snorkel just for that reason. Not because I'm afraid of germs but because of the general ick factor. I know I can't catch anything but just don't like the idea.

Inis46 May 3rd, 2007 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakedreams
we hate the part where we have to wear the orange life vests, but .....they do make for some really GREAT cruise photos. :)
It is necessary, it is mandatory, but ...it is also a signal that we will be sailing away very soon....we get excited!!

.....with my red hair I'll surely stand out...lol

ready2gonow May 3rd, 2007 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inis46
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakedreams

.....with my red hair I'll surely stand out...lol

When wearing that lovely orange vest, standing out is a GOOD thing!

Luanne Russo May 3rd, 2007 03:16 PM

I am glad that so many of you agreed that the lifeboat drill was a must. Use to, the boards were full of people talking about how to get out of it.

Lou 123 May 3rd, 2007 04:03 PM

The life boat drill is just part of cruising. I feel like it is just a repeat but it is good to go with the new people that have not cruised before... besides we love the nice pics from the drill LOL

Thoth May 3rd, 2007 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou 123
The life boat drill is just part of cruising. I feel like it is just a repeat but it is good to go with the new people that have not cruised before... besides we love the nice pics from the drill LOL

That's the way I see life boat drill...all part of the fun. 8)

mehawk May 4th, 2007 01:25 AM

Just a step for a stepper

Lou 123 May 4th, 2007 09:42 AM

So true. Just need to relax and go with the flow!
:)