Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Passenger

Default Please Help!

I have a cruise booked for May 19th. We are going with a group. My husband and son are going to be in a room down the hall from us - the cruise is paid in full and has been for a long time now. We have discovered that we are going to be unable to come up with the $200.00 per person for all 4 of us to go on the sign & sail card - that would be $800.00 - we kept thinking something would change. It is a 5 night cruise and it would be $200.00 per person, plus we would have to pay to park at the port. Will I lose all of the money for their room? Me & my daughter are still going- it is for her senior trip. My son is going to be devastated when I tell him that he can't go - I know I wouldn't be able to get any money back for him because he actually received the free berth - and we just had to pay port charges and taxes for him - I had also paid the deposit of $200.00 - I think that the way I understood the papers that this close to cruising time we could get 50% of my husband's room back (not including any of the deposit) - or maybe we couldn't get any of it back....my husband has lost his job and that is the reason we can't come up with the money or I would have never booked them to start off with. I feel SO DOWN TODAY. Should I let Carnival know - or just wait and hope something happens - of course we sail 3 weeks from today. Either way this has really put a bad damper on the cruise - I truthfully wish I could cancel also - but I organized it and another youth is booked in the room with me....so if I didn't go it would screw everything up. I am so mad, sad, ill - whatever you want to call it. Just needed to vent I guess!
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Please Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamom4
I have a cruise booked for May 19th. We are going with a group. My husband and son are going to be in a room down the hall from us - the cruise is paid in full and has been for a long time now. We have discovered that we are going to be unable to come up with the $200.00 per person for all 4 of us to go on the sign & sail card - that would be $800.00 - we kept thinking something would change. It is a 5 night cruise and it would be $200.00 per person, plus we would have to pay to park at the port. Will I lose all of the money for their room? Me & my daughter are still going- it is for her senior trip. My son is going to be devastated when I tell him that he can't go - I know I wouldn't be able to get any money back for him because he actually received the free berth - and we just had to pay port charges and taxes for him - I had also paid the deposit of $200.00 - I think that the way I understood the papers that this close to cruising time we could get 50% of my husband's room back (not including any of the deposit) - or maybe we couldn't get any of it back....my husband has lost his job and that is the reason we can't come up with the money or I would have never booked them to start off with. I feel SO DOWN TODAY. Should I let Carnival know - or just wait and hope something happens - of course we sail 3 weeks from today. Either way this has really put a bad damper on the cruise - I truthfully wish I could cancel also - but I organized it and another youth is booked in the room with me....so if I didn't go it would screw everything up. I am so mad, sad, ill - whatever you want to call it. Just needed to vent I guess!
I don't envy your position at all; I would call Carnival and try to get someone up high on the chain of command and ask exactly how much of a deposit is going to be required for each person on the sail & sign card; I have never noticed the holds or how much the hold they put - but I have takend 5 day cruises and I have charged less than 200 on my sail & sign card; not much of a shopper and I skipped sodas and stuff and only used my sail and sign for my cocktails. Parking at the port is roughly about $12.00 per day and you will need cash for that.

Maybe a more experienced CM can have some suggestions - hang in there - maybe something can be done to salvage your vacation; maybe downgrade your rooms for a ship board credit???
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Passenger

I hadn't thought about down grading the cabin - will they let you do that this close to cruising? We have already received the documents. If we could just put the $100.00 a person on the sign & sail like we have for the 4 day cruises - we could probably swing that. Since their room was down the hall from us anyway and since the two of them weren't having to be shown as chaperones for any of the other kids - they might could be changed to another deck or something - or maybe to an inside cabin. I know we would spend no where near $800.00 - we never bought a soda or anything other than about 4 cocktails on the other cruises. But I guess a Carnival rule is a rule. Does anyone know if they "EVER" let you put less than $200.00 on a 5 day cruise? This will be on the Celebration out of Jacksonville.
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Admiral

maybe retitle the thread re: help re: sail & sign deposit info -or start another thread with that title - and start another thread re: can you downgrade room after deposit dates or soemthing to that effect... wish i had more info for you..
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60
Default Re: Please Help!

Quote:
i can only use logic to answer your question based on what i know. the first point is you will only need a single sail & Sign card for the entire family, so if that $200 number is based only on the sail&sign account you should be fine. you should call the cruise line to be sure
RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Admiral

when you refer to the $200 per person are you speaking about the auto tip policy? did you already pay for those when you purchased your tickets?
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Passenger

No the sign & sail is per person - each person has to have their own card - and $200.00 (from what I understand is suppose to be put on each card) no we didn't pay for tips up front. So even if we didn't use any money at all on the sign & sail card $50.00 per person would come off from each card for tips. What a time for him to be without a job!
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Call Carnival and check with them. You are going to worry about this until you find out. When we brought our kids years ago, we were able to block their ability to charge to the sail & sign account. If this is still the case, you would only need $400.00.

Melody
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Passenger

Would I have to call the group department? I can never get through to them. My daughter will probably get money for graduation from people so she could probably put up her own $200.00. I know that they told me originally to tell everyone in the group that they would need to bring cash, credit card (in their own name - since we are talking about seniors) or traveler's checks.
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Would I have to call the group department? I can never get through to them. My daughter will probably get money for graduation from people so she could probably put up her own $200.00. I know that they told me originally to tell everyone in the group that they would need to bring cash, credit card (in their own name - since we are talking about seniors) or traveler's checks.
Is there a credit card you can use. Just as a place holder because if only two are going that is $100 in tips and just be care not to use the sail and sign card to much then check the charges to make certain nothing was charged by accident. If you don't have a credit card try are gt one for the trip then cancel after the trip ends. I hope that helps.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Is there a credit card that has a $800 limit on it? If so you can have all charges put on that card. Just keep the charges down and you will have no problem. Carnival will allow all charges to placed on one card. You can also have certain Sign and Sail cards designated as "no charge" cards. This will keep certain members of the group from purchasing drinks or other things while on board. It seems a bit Draconian but it will keep the charges down.

Are there other family members that can assist you? Think creatively there may be other ways to come up with the $800 other than canceling the cruise.

I am sorry about your problem but I hope you can come up with something so you don't lose your cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Passenger

I only have one credit card and it has no where near a $800.00 credit limit - I have e-mailed the company to see if they will raise it to that just for the cruise and then lower it back down. I wonder if we "do" end up having to cancel and we did it within the next week and they give us an on-board credit - would that mean that it would go on the sign & sail card? If so would that be considered an extra amount or could that be used as part of the amount that has to be placed on it at check in? I know that the most we could get back right now would be 1/2 of my husband's fair. I"m not sure if we would get 1/2 of the port charges & taxes on my son's - like I said his was the free berth.
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I only have one credit card and it has no where near a $800.00 credit limit - I have e-mailed the company to see if they will raise it to that just for the cruise and then lower it back down. I wonder if we "do" end up having to cancel and we did it within the next week and they give us an on-board credit - would that mean that it would go on the sign & sail card? If so would that be considered an extra amount or could that be used as part of the amount that has to be placed on it at check in? I know that the most we could get back right now would be 1/2 of my husband's fair. I"m not sure if we would get 1/2 of the port charges & taxes on my son's - like I said his was the free berth.
I really would suggest that you get on the telephone with carnival and confirm what they can and cannot do - when you first call ask for an experienced VIP explain that you have a problem and are on a short time frame - be very assertive in a nice way - second "CALL" do not email your credit card company and explain that you will be travelign; that the cruise line places a mandatory "hold" but it does not mean you will be charging that amount; talk to a rep for the company; this isn't unusual for them and get telephone confirmation that they will accommodate this hold - most credit card companies can do this without raising your limit
third; do you have a good, long standing relationship with your bank; if so can you get a card from them for this purpose...
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

You can always apply for the Carnival Mastercard, they give you an instant reply whether you qualify or not and the amounth they approve you for. It's also nice to have cause you can get discounts off future cruises with having it, among other things. If I were you I would look into all possibilities before you have to cancel your whole trip. Good Luck!

Jessie
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Passenger

You are not going to believe this - then again you probably will - I just called Carnival - got a PVP with the group section and told her the situation - she said that if we canceled now - today - or any day up until the cruise that we would receive no refund at all...I questioned this over and over -- then after we were finished talking - I was reading my contract - and I called back and got another agent - I was reading her the page in the contract that said that there was a 50% cancelation fee if you canceled between 29 & 8 days...she told me to stop before I went any further-- she said it is NOT mandatory to put $200.00 per person on the sign & sail card - I asked her about 4 times if she was sure about this - she said yes - that they recommend it but it is not necessary - I asked her if the people at the port would know this when we were getting ready to board - and she said yes. She said the sign & sail card was our money and that it was for our convenience but that we knew how much we would spend above the tips. Do you think that I will have problem with this at the port. She assured me over and over that I wouldn't. Should I call the port - I don't even know how to call the port. What do you think?
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Admiral

GAMom,

Like I said earlier...we didn't have to link the kids sail & sign card to our credit card. They had no money on their sail & sign card, so the PVP person is right. Ask her to send you a confirmation email and bring that with you.

Melody
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Passenger

I don't even know the person's name - but I have e-mailed our entire conversation to our PVP with the group department and I am going to get her to confirm this. So when you went before you just had your children's gratuity on your's but not anything else?

When you put cash up - how do you get the amount back you don't use? If you do put cash up and you happen to need more could you go to the purser's desk and add more? If you use a debit card it puts a hold on your back account for how long?
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Admiral

We paid the gratuity before we left. The kids had no money on their sail & sign cards. If they place a hold on your debit card, I think it's held until two - three days after the end of the cruise. If you use cash, you can add more at the purser's desk. They will let you know when you are running low on your card. If you have cash left on your account at the end of the cruise, they will issue you a check!

GAMom, looks like we are sailing a day apart.....what ship did you choose? What port are you sailing from?

Melody
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Passenger

We are sailing on the Celebration out of Jacksonville - what about you?

I will never ever plan a group cruise again - this was NEVER suppose to be my responsibility - but since I had cruised before and me & my daughter were the 1st 2 to book - I guess when people started deciding they wanted to go - I was sort of put in charge....but it wasn't suppose to be that way - it took forever (as you probably remember me posting) to get all the rooms straight - since minors without parents on board had to be booked in the room with an adult over 25...this has been a logistical nightmare. I AM NOT and I mean it going to coordinate everyone getting down there. It was so much easier when it was just my family cruising the last 2 years.
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Admiral

We are doing the Conquest out of Galveston....you might want to let everyone know they have to check in by the cabin roster you submitted to Carnival. The person over 25 and the student check in together, so they need to arrive at the same time.

It's such a longdrive, we booked a charter bus and with the price of gas, the fee of $65.00 per person is looking pretty good! We have everything paid for...tips, shore excursions, charter bus....I hope we don't have anymore bumps in the road! Good luck to you and relax on your cruise. There will be better things in store for you and your family when you return.

Melody
Old April 28th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I don't even know the person's name - but I have e-mailed our entire conversation to our PVP with the group department and I am going to get her to confirm this. So when you went before you just had your children's gratuity on your's but not anything else?

When you put cash up - how do you get the amount back you don't use? If you do put cash up and you happen to need more could you go to the purser's desk and add more? If you use a debit card it puts a hold on your back account for how long?
It also helps to call your bank to let them know you are traveling and using your debit card; give them all your ports of call; as they can put it in their "system" so you card will work at the various places you use the card. Also let them know your return date as well.

I have been told that the cash is returned to you via CHECK ?? can someone else confirm this; but I have read earlier on hte posts that the checks are mailed to you that they do not return the cash on the ship; so if you are cash strapped; add the cash to your account as you go.
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Did you buy Travel Insurance? If so, it could cover your DH's job loss.

Quote:
she said it is NOT mandatory to put $200.00 per person on the sign & sail card - I asked her about 4 times if she was sure about this - she said yes - that they recommend it but it is not necessary - I asked her if the people at the port would know this when we were getting ready to board - and she said yes. She said the sign & sail card was our money and that it was for our convenience but that we knew how much we would spend above the tips. Do you think that I will have problem with this at the port. She assured me over and over that I wouldn't. Should I call the port - I don't even know how to call the port. What do you think?

IMO, this is wrong. You must either have a credit (or debit) card or at least $200.00 cash pp (adults) to board the ship. If you don't want to have your children charge on the ship tell them when you check in. The cash is not just for the tips, but for any other charges you may have. You can always take the tips off (they would be $200.00 for all of you), but I don't think this is a good idea !.

If you put a certain amount of cash on your S & S and don't use it you'll be issued a check at the end of the cruise.

Quote:
I AM NOT and I mean it going to coordinate everyone getting down there. It was so much easier when it was just my family cruising the last 2 years.
AMEN!

I hope you're able to get this straightened out and enjoy your cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Admiral

I agree with Fern. I am under the impression that you must have a min. of $200 cash on each S&S card without a credit or debit card.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Admiral

I went to Carnival website under the FAQs here is the link and a quote form the site.http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Sai...d_Account.aspx

"All charges will automatically be billed to the guest's credit card at the end of the voyage. On the final morning of the cruise, a statement detailing all purchases made with the Sail & Sign card will be delivered to the guest's stateroom. The total amount will be applied to the credit card presented during registration. For those guests who put down a cash deposit, if there is an overpayment at the end of the cruise, the guest will receive the overpayment in the form of a check attached to their detailed statement on the final morning of the cruise."

This also states the $200 per person on 5 day cruise here is the break down.
2-4 day cruises: $100 deposit pp
5-8 day cruises: $200 deposit pp
9 + day cruises: $350 deposit pp
My suggestion is to try and raise your credit limit on credit card just for the cruise. Carnival staff is saying something different then what is on the website this is a cause for concern. I really wish you a wonderful cruise and much less stress.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Admiral

GAMOM,

I'm telling you......I did not put ANY deposit on my kids cards.....NONE. They couldn't charge to it, so why would Carnival need it? Paid the tips in advance and that was it! You will need your tip money, unless you pay that in advance and $200.00 (although I though it was less for shorter cruises) for your Sail & Sign card and DH Sail & Sign card.

Melody

Just get it in writing and bring it with you.
Old April 29th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Passenger

My husband lost his job just weeks before our cruise, too, so I can definitely sympathize. I must tell you - the cruise was just what we needed to deal with this stressful time. We used our debit card, and did not have to have any deposit for our two kids. They had a "no-charge" card.

I also checked, and found out the $10.00 a day tip that is automatically charged can also be negotiated. You can reset it to a lower or higher amount, or you can tip as you go.

I wish you the best of luck.

Pride - 4/15/07
Old April 29th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Passenger

mstill - didn't you say that you are going with a group of graduating seniors also? How many are going with your group, for how long and where to? Is this the 1st cruise for a lot of them? How many chaperones do you have going with you? Just curious since this has been so difficult for us to arrange - but we didn't use a travel agency either - we just went directly through carnival and it started out as an individual cruise and got transferred to the group dept.
Old April 29th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Admiral

GAMOM,

We have 50 on the cruise....20 teens and the rest parents. We had a TA, but it was still difficult. A lot of room shuffling will be going on after we sail, but we have someone over 25 in each room on paper. We have 3 other groups from the same school on the same trip. Each group had to do the same thing!

We sail May 20th on the Conquest... 7 days! We blocked our rooms over a year ago. All tips were added to the cost of the cruise, so that has been paid in advance. It is a first cruise for many, but we do have about 20 returning guests! Ports of call: Montego Bay, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, and Cozumel, Mexico. I have an extra vacation day after we get back to recuperate!
Old April 29th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Passenger

That sounds great! We are going to be gone 5 nights (since my daughter will be leaving the following Saturday to be a camp counselor for the summer). We get back on Thursday - I'm taking Friday off to help her pack and all (and also wash clothes!) She leaves on Saturday or Sunday & Monday is Memorial Day - so I will have a couple of extra days off.

I have forgotten - in the documents - do we go ahead and fill out the form for The Bahamas Immigration arrival Card? Then again - you aren't going to the Bahama's....I think the past two years we haven't had that filled out and they have pulled us to the side and told us to fill it out...if anyone knows please let me know so I can tell everyone.

I just called Carnival - the group section doesn't work on Sunday - but the person I got told me that it is not mandatory that both parents sign the consent form - that one parent signing and the chaperone and then having it notarized. We have already faxed them in - and they have been approved - they said for both people the chaperone and student to carry the form with them.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:02 PM
Beginner

why don't u go all in one room save the money there, you never are in the room all except sleep