Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Passenger

Default Cruise Insurance

We are leaving on May 19th for a 5 day cruise to Key West & Nassau. My husband has no health insurance at all...and all of a sudden it has hit me - what happens if he got sick or hurt and we were gone - of course I don't even know what would happen if he got hurt and we were home as picky as hospitals are these days. I called a company I read about and they called me back and said that they could insure just my husband -not me or the two kids for $38.00 - this would include cancelation for him, evacuation, lost luggage everything. They said we could get it on all 4 of us for $118.00. But they really didn't recommend it on all of us since we are less than 3 weeks away now....and anyway - I thought that was sort of nice - she wasn't pushing anything. She sent me an e-mail....I don't know what to do. Money is tight - but one sickness with NO health insurance at all - and that could be it for us. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Is your husband in good health? If it were me...3 weeks away? I would chance it -- but then again what is 38.00 or 118.00 after the thousand you just spent on a cruise? I didn't think you could get insurance so close to the cruise -
Old April 29th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Admiral

gamom4,
Check out insuremytrip.com. Insurance isn't just for sicknesses. It can also cover any injuries, delays, evacuations, etc. We always get insurance and had to file a claim once. They covered our hotel and food. We've seen a young person break their arm slipping by the pool. Accidents can and do happen. It would cost a lot more out of your pocket if you don't have it. I know car insurance is required but I would have it anyway, just like I would purchase travel insurance for a trip.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 29th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Passenger

I priced it at insuremytrip and tripinsurancestore.com

I was really impressed at how they didn't "try" to talk me into purchasing anything. They even told me that they would e-mail what we had discussed - I just don't know if I should purchase it or not - we are really tight on funds - but if he got injured or hurt or anything - what is $38.00 compared to the cost of the trip. In fact I could get it on all 4 of us for $118.00.
Old April 30th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Passenger

I purchased my travel insurance through CSA travel. Even if you are short of money, I would go for the $118 and insure everyone. If one of your children are sick, are you going to still go on your vacation? If not, then it is worth it to cover everyone just in case. It is a small price to pay compared to losing the whole cost of the trip.
Old April 30th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Admiral

You should insure the whole family. That way if one gets sick, the ins will pay for everyone to come home together. Otherwise, only your husband (assuming he is the sick one) will be able to come home. You and your kids would be stuck continuing your cruise.

I undertand money is tight but see if you can't take $100 off of something else so that you buy this coverage. Many times, these island nations' medical facilities want money upfront or at least an assurance from a recognized company (ins) that payment will be received. This is when insurance (or a credit card with a high limit) is needed.

Perhaps you can cut back on the excursions or maybe the photos. There is a lot of wiggle room in a cruise.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Heck, for peace of mind, I'd go ahead and get it for all of you. The $118 is a small price to pay to all be covered. Hopefully, you will not need to make a claim, but if anything should go wrong, at least you'd all be covered.

Have a great cruise!

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
I didn't think you could get insurance so close to the cruise -
You can get insurance up until days [if not hours] precruise. Some items [such as pre-existing conditions] won't be covered
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Admiral

is pre existing covered when you buy ahead of time??
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, if you purchase the insurance within 7 days from booking, pre-existing conditions are covered. Just read the fine print first.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Admiral

just 7 days??? I booked for Jan - and plan on buying insurance...just haven't done it yet. If pre existing doesn't count -- thats the pits!
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
just 7 days??? I booked for Jan - and plan on buying insurance...just haven't done it yet. If pre existing doesn't count -- thats the pits!
Different policies have different rules. While most are 7-21 days, one carrier allows you to buy "pre-existing" up 'til '"final". Individual providers have specifics...including each company's definition of "pre-existing"
Old April 30th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Admiral

May I suggest . . .

As soon as you book your cruise (same day) and pay your deposit, purchase your insurance policy. Compared to what you are paying for the cruise, insurance is cheap and if you just lump it with the rest of your cruise fare, you won't feel it as an added expense. It is just part of the cost of your cruise.

If you wait, then it will be "oh, I have to pay for the insurance too."

Also, if you purchase it on the first day, you avoid the "pre-existing condition" clause.

Another thing, if by chance you cancel your cruise, the ins companies will generally let you transfer the coverage to another cruise. You just have to contact them as soon as you know you are cancelling and they will transfer it or put the policy on hold.

I never purchased insurance but after reading the boards and thinking about it, I have decided that when paying $1,300 for a cruise, why not spend another $70 or so in order to make sure the trip is covered in the event of some unforeseeable occurrence. Since I purchased the insurance at the same time (separate company) that I paid for the cruise, it was all added to my credit card at the same time and my cruise was not $1,300 but $1,370.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:02 PM
Captain

Buy the insurance. Our recent trip on the Destiny had me repeating over and over again, "I'm so glad I have my insurance". My teenager fell ill on the first day due to a chemical allergy on the ship and despite the $400 bill for the infirmary I could focus on her and not on "How am I going to afford this". When we got home we filled out the paperwork and within 3 weeks we received reimbursement. The insurance company was a dream, Carnival was a disappointment but it was nice to know that we could access whatever treatment required to get her better even if it meant a flight home. You can't put a price on your family's health and you just never know when a child will take sick.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Ditto to all above posts. I know from experience-get everyone covered for the cruise. The peace of mind is well worth it !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82