Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:05 AM
Passenger

Default Debark - Self Check-Out or Leave bags out night before?

This is my first cruise and I was wondering which would be easier or more convenient.

Thanks for your help!
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:08 AM
Admiral

If you don't fly out early on the day you return then its easy to let them take care of the baggage for you. Just kick back and relax on the Lido deck and enjoy breakfast. Less stress... and if you have to self-assist make sure you can lug around your own baggage. No one will help you with that.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:50 AM
First Mate

Has anyone ever had their suitcase stolen? I know I'm probably a bit paranoid... I don't mind pulling our 1 carry on and 1 suitcase if we can take our time and have breakfast. We aren't flying home till the following day. So we will self-debark. What is the latest time shuttles leave to take people to the airport? We're picking up a car rental there and staying at a hotel near the airport. Orlando.
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Hmmmmm.. I suppose it could happen. People are people. If they want all my dirty laundry then more power to them. hahahaha Its never a good idea to put any valuables in the luggage you set out the night before.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:44 PM
Admiral

We were told if you self-debark you have to get off when they call around 7:30am. Otherwise if you wait with your luggage it would be too crowded with everyone in the elevators and lounges. If you're not in a hurry, put them out the night before and relax the next morning until they call your color.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Debark - Self Check-Out or Leave bags out night before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okieblue
This is my first cruise and I was wondering which would be easier or more convenient.

Thanks for your help!
I say "Let THEM do the work!!!" Put you stuff out the night before, and only carry things you will need for the next day, and as carolin said keep your valuables on your person.

This way you can take an easy pace, enjoy a nice breakfast, then leave later when the crowds lessen. It will be easier to find your luggage in the staging area later when more people have claimed their luggage.

I had no idea what to expect or do when leaving till I spoke to a veteran cruiser on board. She gave me all that above advice, and it worked great for me. Once I got off the ship it was a breeze to find luggage, then clear customs. Almost no crowds or lines at that point.

If I had not spoken to her I probably would have been my usual overly worrysome self and got up too early, get stuck in overly long lines waiting to get off, not had breakfast, got irritated real fast, and not gain anything but being off the ship I enjoy too early and down on the street to early not enjoying myself anymore.

Mark
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:47 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellet1959
Has anyone ever had their suitcase stolen? I know I'm probably a bit paranoid... I don't mind pulling our 1 carry on and 1 suitcase if we can take our time and have breakfast.
My boyfriend said the same thing since so many suitcases look alike. That maybe someone might pick his up by accident.

So we did the self assist disembark with the same amount of luggage you have. It was really easy and we could leave at any time. Of course we stayed till the very last minute and didn't have to fight any crowds. Carla
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
We were told if you self-debark you have to get off when they call around 7:30am. Otherwise if you wait with your luggage it would be too crowded with everyone in the elevators and lounges. If you're not in a hurry, put them out the night before and relax the next morning until they call your color.
We just got off the Glory 4/28 and we did the self-debark and were off by 8:15 AM.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:57 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
We were told if you self-debark you have to get off when they call around 7:30am.
Actually you can leave at any time. We were kind of confused on this to until we asked one of the social hosts. He said as long as you have your own bags you can go at any time. We will be doing the self disembark again in December and waiting till the last minute to get off. Carla
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:00 PM
Admiral

I say let them carry off those great big heavy bags! I don't have to be anywhere that bad, and why leave the ship before you have to anyway. Enjoy a liesurely breakfast in the dining room, find a nice lounge to hang out in, read the newspaper or whatever, and take it easy.

Actually, the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I are platinum, so we can put out our bags, let them be carried off, and still leave the ship by shortly after 8 if we really need to be off. Ah yes,,,,the best of both worlds.

Ken
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:13 PM
Captain

I agree with Ken. You are still on vacation up to the minute you get home, so let someone else do it. Thats what we do. If you just absolutely need to get of fast then self-disembark, otherwise sit back enjoy the view for as long as possible. 8)
Just My Humble Opinion
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old May 1st, 2007, 05:33 PM
Captain

We set our bags out for the porters on 7 of 9 cruises. On two of the 7 we had baggage that just never again showed up which resulted in the very painful loss of one teddy bear and a prized blankie as well as two sets of formal wear and other bits and pieces of clothing and personal articles. While I don't consider it paranoia and I don't know how often it happens I was disappointed with the attitude of the guest relations folks when our suitcases never reappeared. We met with comments like "well we can't screen all our passengers to make sure they only take their luggage" or my husbands personal favorite "you should never pack anything that is important to you in your luggage". I think from here on out we'll do the self assist I don't care to deal with insurance companies anymore and the reality is that there are some things you just can't replace and that includes your first teddy bear and definitely a well worn blankie.
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Definitely!
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:05 PM
First Mate

it sounds like it's a good idea to keep ALL valuables, electronic do-dads and things you don't want to lose in a carry on, and keep just clothing in the suitcases. clothing is easily replaced, other things are not.
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Okieblue, if you were in a hurry to get off the ship at the end, then do the self assist. If not, then set those bags out at night and be among the last ones to leave.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.