Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carnival Glory- 4/21/07

We drove down from NC and stayed at the Country Inn and Suites right there at the dock. They have a stay & park deal, if you stay the night before at the hotel you can park there for free the whole week. We loved this idea, it is a very nice, clean and safe hotel and the provide a complimentry shuttle. I believe parking at PC is around 15.00 a day.

The Ship

The Glory is a much larger ship than we had both been on previously. It is laid out in a similar manner as the Fantasy class ships, so once you get used to the layout of the decks it is very easy to navigate. Our only issue with this size ship is the amount of people onboard. You don't notice it so much while on the ship...until you come to a port. The crew that was working this cruise was very poorly trained on the organization of large groups of people. The crew overall was horrible. Our cruise director Weee Jimmy was the best cruise director I have seen, and our bartender at dinner (Klaude) was fabulous. Other than those two...the crew down right sucked. The dancers were so-so...sometimes they were on...othertimes it was like watching high schoolers perform at half-time (I was a dancer for 15 years...not saying I could do MUCH better, but I know people who could)

Food

The Lido buffet/resturant was wonderful as always. The pizza on Carnival is the best and the selection of food is never sparce. The main dining room was horrible.

WARNING TO FUTURE CRUISERS...if you are in the GOLDEN DINING ROOM and on the balcony...request to be reseated. The "windows" on this level look out onto the lifeboat deck and if you ever open your curtains you will see a lovely view of the seafoam green holding area and numerous crew who wander back and forth on this deck.

The food was horrible...we had the 8:30pm seating and our entire table believed they made our food for the earlier seatings and just continuosly warmed the plates of food up as they needed them. Food was MUCH better on the Fantasy class ships.

Ports

Cozumel- We had been here before so we just went shopping. When they tell you to take the taxi, just pay the three dollars and take it. It was about a 3-4 mile walk from the port, my husband thought they were kidding. We took a taxi back to the ship

Belize- Ok...you know it is bad news when they have a skull and cross bones sign on the tender stating "Leave the port at your own risk, you have been warned." The country itself is third world. We did the cave tubing (which I recommend highly), this involved taking a tour bus 1 hour to the rainforest. Along the way we were astonished to see such poverty. The cave tubing was great, the water felt so nice and was so clean. Just remember to keep your bottom's up!

Costa Maya- This port is beautiful...I don't know what everyone was complaining about. We took a taxi (5$ roundtrip) to the nearby fishing village. At the dock there is a beautiful shopping plaza with pool/swim up bar and open air dining. The port also included a sandy area with chairs as well as loungers and hammocks.

Nassau- We did not have enough time here. We rented a moped for $65 and went to Atlantis. Absoultly beautiful hotel and will definatly be staying there next summer sometime.

Overall it was not a bad cruise. The crew was horrendous, except for the 2 I mentioned earlier. We will definatly stray from the Conquest class of ships from now on however. Too many people, too much ship.

Read and post cruise reviews

Booked :razz:
NCL Sun - November 2011
Disney Dream - December 2012 *Honeymoon*

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
Carnival Triumph - January 2010
Carnival Glory - April 2007
Carnival Inspiration - July 2006
NCL Star - April 2003
Carnival Sensation - April 1998
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Thank you for your review. I am sorry I missed it before now.

I can understand why some would prefer smaller ships.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Passenger

Funny how people on the same cruise can have such a different experience.

I was on the same cruise as the OP and I found every staff member I met to be very friendly and helpfull. Everyone that I passed smiled and said hi or have a nice day. Many even stopped to ask how my cruise was going.
We had the 8:00p seating in the Platinum dining room. The service was excellent, the food was good. The one or two items that we ordered that we did not care for were promptly replaced with another selection, no problem.
The entertainment was, entertaining. Not world class but still good. I found most of the small venue entertainers to be very good.
We spent most of our time on board during the day on the aft Lido deck by the pool. We never had a problem finding a seat and the kids that were there were well behaved and well supervised.
I only found the crowds to be a concern on one or two occasions. The worst was Nassau. I'm not sure what happened at that port but the line to get off the ship was rediculous. Every other time the crowds were well controled and moved along nicely. Even lines for the tenders in Belize moved fast. Disembark was quick and painless, from our room to the shuttle in 20 mins.
Overall I would give this cruise a 8.5 out of 10.
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Passenger

I have to agree about your rating - we loved our Glory cruise - service was great and so was the food. I think your cruise is what YOU make of it - I believe Carnival does a great job trying to please all 3000 people.
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:42 PM
First Mate

Default GLORY

We rode GLORY during her inagural season, was fantabulous, the crew was a little new, but most was exceptional. The crowds do not bother me except, if the people are rude and abnoxious, your fellow passengers can makes it misrable. You have to relax to , RELAX let the crowds go first. This will be our 6th cruise NOV 3, and it will be the second on Glory. if you want to be first in line to get off for any reason, go for it but DONT BE MEAN AND NASTY AND RUDE TO FELLOW CRUISERS.
BOB
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

We were on the same cruise last week on the Glory. Overall the cruise was great but I did also notice some of the staff seemed a little burnt out but I also have down weeks at work. Life goes on.
Happy sailing to all!
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty