Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Passenger

Default Upper decks & motion sickness

Are the upper decks, outside cabins, worse for motion sickness? I have gotten conflicting information from friends, but after reading some posts here it makes sense that the motion would be felt more on top of the boat.
Thanks everyone for helping the novice, read never, cruiser make her mind up about everything
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Passenger

i think all people are different, some are prone to motion sickness, others are not. my wife and i seem to have no problems.first cruise was bottom deck inside room, no problems there, last cruise upper deck balcony room, and we loved it. i think you should be prepared and have meds for motion sickness, but it seems most people have no problem no matter where their cabin is.
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Passenger

this is what I learned. Last Cruise was to the Bahamas and our stateroom was the most forward of the balcony rooms on the Verandah deck of the SENSATION. Cat 11. and we were slightly seasick on our 2nd cruise. Our first cruise(to Halifax Nova Scotia), our state room was a balcony in the middle of the ship, VICTORY and we were NOT seasick. Could it be?

But according to the ship's crew, whom we have become friends with. That the voyage to the Bahamas has lately been that was because of the northeast'r that had just hit and was on its way out to the Atlantic (last March 16) - hence the waves. The crew were kind enough to share their own pills which they use for seasickness with us. Kudos to the Sensation crew!!

Plus the Victory is a bigger ship than the Sensation. At any rate, being RN's we've decided that next time we cruise that we were to take a couple of pills the day before to make sure they are in our system prior to sailing.
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

We have cabins in all different locations and have never had any motion sickness. I am one that can sick in a car but never an issue on the ship. Just relax, go into the cruise with no worries and you should be fine. If you think about getting sick, chances are you will.. Mind over matter!
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 4th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

It is true that different parts of the ship can make you feel the motion more than others. We have also cruised on different levels, and have never felt bad.

The experts will tell you that the best location to be is in the middle of the ship.

If the weather is bad. It won't matter much where you are.

Always go prepared. A small bottle of sea sick meds can be purchased at Wal Mart. At the first sign of quizziness, take the recommended dose, and instead of staying in your room and laying down, go outside and wait for it to take effect. Don't look down, but out on the horizon. if for some reason you can not take pills, you can also get ginger which works about the same as the pills. I met a lady who took a box of ginger snaps on the cruise. If she felt bad, she would nibble on them, until it went away.

What is happening is your body is sending signals to your brain that you are no longer on land. Until your brain understands, it sometimes upsets your stomach.

You might also feel these effects once you have left the ship. Again, your body needs time to reset itself.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I gad a cabin on Verandah deck (deck 8) on the Victory. We were sort of central part of the ship, ok, slightly more to the bow, but near midship (center). We were keenly aware we were at sea heading through the Gulf of Mexico to Costa Maya since the ship was rocking and a rolling--stabilizers were doing their best, but it there were 12 foot waves....The only other real times I noticed the motion was in the dining room and forward show lounge. The motion didn't bother me, rather it made me sleepy......

I am booked in a cabin on Panorama deck on Triumph. My cabin will be nearer than it was in January. I plan on having a good time, and perhaps this time I will actually get some deck time to burn my skin. There was so many activities onboard during the day that it was hard to find time to get some suntanning time in....I didn't come back tanned, but the 300+ pictures proved I was on a ship floating through the Caribbean!!!!
Old May 5th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Beginner

Default sea sick..

Just returned from my first cruise on the Elation..the most wonderful time of my life. I was prepared with evrything incl the patch from the dr ..but all I took was one ginger tablet a day wth my mid lunch.

Had a wonderful time..we were on the Empress deck. mid the most perfect spot for all . E129.. was great..if you need any ohter answeres please ask..
Old May 5th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Passenger

we were on the panorama deck..10th deck. I did not get sick being in the room..but the dinning room is where I felt the boat move the most. It was in the back of the boat...i just took one chewable bonine in the morning and one just before dinner and I was fine.