Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
I say who cares if they can swim!!! :evil:

(I almost spit my water out when I read this)

Old June 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Yeoman

We are all dying to know how you ended up getting through it?? *hug* Carla
Old June 11th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Yes, please tell us how the cruise was and if your mother in law fell overboard (accidentally, of course!)
Old June 11th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to passionmango

This cruise was fun but at the same time it was an eye opener. I didn't see much of my Mother in Law just at dinner and we would run into her here and there. My mother in law cried threw out most of the time when I would see her. My husband did not hang out with his family to much, just after dinner for a while and 1 day he went jet skiing with his dad and brother. My mother in law was scared they would miss the ship so there she was crying again. I didn't stay with her for long my brother and I were at the bar. The last night my mother in law was acting out like a child and took my son before dinner without me knowing and I was running from deck to deck looking for him. Of course I called their cabin and my son was with her. I was so angry that I didn't even go to dinner. My husband was mad at me for reacting, and then she had the nerve to tell my husband that I didn't deserve to eat. The eye opener is that I finally made a promise to myself, which I just don't care anymore about my husband’s family. It doesn't matter what they think or say anymore. I am done with that family!!

Carnival Splendor May 2009
Carnival Valor May 2007
Carnival Glory 2005
Carnival Conquest 2004
Old June 11th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionmango
This cruise was fun but at the same time it was an eye opener. I didn't see much of my Mother in Law just at dinner and we would run into her here and there. My mother in law cried threw out most of the time when I would see her. My husband did not hang out with his family to much, just after dinner for a while and 1 day he went jet skiing with his dad and brother. My mother in law was scared they would miss the ship so there she was crying again. I didn't stay with her for long my brother and I were at the bar. The last night my mother in law was acting out like a child and took my son before dinner without me knowing and I was running from deck to deck looking for him. Of course I called their cabin and my son was with her. I was so angry that I didn't even go to dinner. My husband was mad at me for reacting, and then she had the nerve to tell my husband that I didn't deserve to eat. The eye opener is that I finally made a promise to myself, which I just don't care anymore about my husband’s family. It doesn't matter what they think or say anymore. I am done with that family!!
Wow!! I am so sorry you had to endure even a second of difficulty on your vacation. I am sure you deserve better than you are given by them.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Admiral

start planning now (if you have not already done so) for YOUR next cruise and you should go with some girlfriends and spoil yourself rotten to make up for this one..I'm sure your husband and his family will understand if they are not invited
Old June 11th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
start planning now (if you have not already done so) for YOUR next cruise and you should go with some girlfriends and spoil yourself rotten to make up for this one..I'm sure your husband and his family will understand if they are not invited
that's a grand plan and if you need your own personal cruise directors, I am certain that you will get a lot of volunteers

sorry that the family couldn't let their hair down and enjoy; next time, just do your thing...
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old June 11th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Well, I'm sorry things had to turn out so badly for you. Just remember, you are a valuable person....you deserve to take care of you. Plan a trip girl!

Melody
Old June 11th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Passenger

I agree with Vince!! I'm glad you got to make the most of a majority of the cruise! Good for you for promising not to let his family bother you. Stick with yours, they sound like much more fun!!
Old June 11th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

It is best that I don't say how I would handle your in-laws if they were mine.............
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Admiral

Since your husband was so controlled by his mother, I think it's time to hit him for alimony and split.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Yeoman

*hug* Glad to hear that your husband didn't spend as much time with his family as you though originally. Also kind of glad to hear there were no 'accidental' falls overboard for your manic depressive MIL So did you have problems with the rest of his family too? It kind of sounded that way cause you said you were done with his whole family.

I agree with all others on here, book another cruise with your sister or some friends. You sound a little down and planning the next one will make you feel 100% better. It did me when we booked for new years. And I bet I will feel even better when we book next summers Europe cruise Carla
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Barkingowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellet1959
If your husband would take his mother on a cruise knowing how she treats you, I would say you don't need a cruise - you need a divorce. Take it from someone who has divorced two husbands so far.

As Jennifer Aniston said about Brad Pitt, "he's missing a sensitivity chip!"
02/06 Carnival Liberty
01/05 Carnival Fascination
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Passenger

I am so sorry your trip wasn't as wonderful as it should have been. It should be easy to shrug off your MIL's childish behavior, but taking your child without letting you know is absolutely unacceptable. I hope you let her know this in words, and not just by skipping dinner.

I hope you enjoy your next cruise, sans MILFH* (Mother-in-law-from-hell)
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to passionmango

Carla,

The problems I had with my in laws were that my sister in law and her bf kept fighting and American Airline would not let them board since they were fighting. She had to get other flights to FL. The following day while we were waiting to get on the ship, she asked if she could stroll my son, I said sure 1 second later she used his stroller with my son in it., to run over her bf’s hand. At that point I took my son away from her his only 18 months. Of course her bf and she like attention so they were yelling at each other. I feel she should NOT use my child or any child to get back at her bf. I didn’t pay much attention to her threw the trip. On the last day she left her suit cases on the ship. Just having to see and hear all off this was very tiring.

MG

Carnival Splendor May 2009
Carnival Valor May 2007
Carnival Glory 2005
Carnival Conquest 2004
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Admiral

HBO could make a tv series about your family !! why are you still there ?
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

The best thing to do? Be a lunatic for 5 minutes & go on a major screaming rage at them. Maybe when they realize that you won't put up with their...."nonsense" (although I have a few colorful metaphors)...they may back off. Sometimes you have to go Alpha on people to bring them to heel.

As for the excursions? Go online, look at what YOU want to do & the hell with the rest of them. Including your husband!

If your husband isn't going to stand up to his family, then he's not being any better than they are. Sorry, but I'm the type of person that doesn't take any baloney from anyone.

Better yet....invite your friends along! Then if they do start up, your friends can give 'em hell.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Passenger

Show your husband this thread...

My wife was getting pushed around by some family members on a family trip she took without me last year.

I made shure to go with her this year and planned to lay down the law at the slightest sign of trouble.

I planned ahead, thought about possable ways to handle things, and then let my wife know, all she had to do was relax, I'd handle the trouble makers.

My wife enjoyed the cruise and my only regret was that they didn't step out of line more often. I only got to give them heck twice, and it was amazing how much they changed their attitude real fast.

Too bad, I was looking forward to a little more combat but they folded like a deck of cards.

Its true what they say about bullies
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
Better yet....invite your friends along! Then if they do start up, your friends can give 'em hell.
You can tell a good friend by this trait. I have one who traveled across the state to do that exact same thing and boy did it shut those people up!

I agree with what Cassandra said, bullies sometimes need to be bullied. If you can't win by reason win by volume
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to cana57
Default toxic in laws

This response is as much for your in-laws as it is for you, your husband and family. Remember, you are on a cruise and as much as this is a vacation for you, it's also a vacation for them. Hopefully, you are all doing what YOU want to do. Are they reading this website and other cruise websites to get some very valuable information. If they don't have a computer, now's the time to get them one.

Are they reading the Carnival website, checking out the excursions and deciding what they're going to do in ADVANCE. Not to mention that deciding in advance may save a few dollars and no disappointment when excursions may be filled in advance. Whether friends or relatives, no one should feel obligated to do an excursion just because someone else is. When we cruised to cozumel in May people snorkeled who should NOT have been allowed in the water but probably went along because of someone else. If you're not a swimmer, you don't become one overnight. If you've never dived, a cruise is not the time to learn. Learn at home and then go to an island. You shouldn't have to do an excursion because the others want to do it. If you want to do the same excursion, great. Otherwise, look at it this way, by doing different excursions you may have some very funny stories to share at dinner.

As for fun days at sea; as much as my mother loves the warm weather, she isn't a sun worshiper so the times she's by the pool are different than what we might be at. Make sure they take sunscreen and use it. There's nothing worse than a part of a "party" having sunburn. They ruin it for everyone else. By the way, I heard from a couple of other women cruises that the towel animal class was a hoot and they spent the rest of the day near pool making their towel animals!! I'll be doing this on my next cruise!

Otherwise, treat your in-laws nicely, give them their space and enjoy yourselves. Don't stress about it. Did you ever think that they might be thinking "oh my gosh, we have to be with our children the whole time"!! Are the grandkids going too??? If they're young enough for Camp Carnival or Club O2, take advantage of them. I've heard some very good reports from friends who have taken their children and used these programs. My coworker had to force her grandson off the ship in Aruba on the Destiny last November because he was having such a good time in camp. If you are the parent of an "only" child, think about springing for an interior cabin and take a friend of your child's so that they have company.

Sorry for writing a book but I think this was a great topic. Now if I could just convince my mother that ships are not what they were in the early 60's when my father was a Marine and we came back to California from Hawaii by ship!! I wish my father were alive. He and I were the only ones that didn't get seasick then and I still don't. I do hear that Pacific cruises can be a little bit rough.....My mother could travel the world right now and she won't and she's one of the youngest 78'rs I've ever seen!

Carnival Imagination 5/4/06
Carnival Fantasy 9/30/06
Carnival Inspiration 5/3/07
Carnival Triumph 10/13/07
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Passenger

I put a stop to the vacations with the outlaws many many years ago,the only stupid thing I have done since the stop of the vactions was to go into business with them,i know shame on me.Word of advice NO MORE VACTIONS with them .