Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Passenger

Default Leaving toddler on ship during excursions

I have never been on a cruise and we are bringing our 2 1/2 year old. I see that you can leave your child with the camp workers while you are in port. What does everyone think of that and have you done it. I am so torn on what to do. I think she would have more fun staying on the ship but I am not sure how I feel about that.
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:17 PM
First Mate

I would never leave my child alone, anywhere, and he's 14.

Why did you bring your child if you weren't taking them on excursions?
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Admiral

as a parent of a "Grown" child, I would say enjoy the time you can while your children are young.
If you left your child on the ship would you be anxious all day and not truly enjoy the excursion.
take the kid to the beach or the dolphin encouter or see the stingrays, there are many excursions that young children will enjoy and then perhaps if you want time to shop on your own have your hubby babysit for a bit.
I would just be worried that something would happen either to me while I was in port or to my child while he was on the ship....
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:31 PM
First Mate

On our first Carnival cruise, we left our then-3 year old in Camp Carnival while we went ashore in Puerto Vallarta. We were only gone a few hours, and I think she never noticed we were gone...
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Passenger

Thanks Msblackjack. I was thinking the same thing. your answer was very compasionate.
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

OK, I'll probably get flamed for my response sinceI support taking kids,but here goes.
Granparents are dead and nobody else is around/free to take care of our kids for that amount of time. Now they are 13,10 and 5, and they do most shore excursions, but last cruise when the youngest was3, we did Dunns River Falls. I knew it would be too slippery for her, and you can't carry a kid up the falls, so we left her at Camp Carnival for about 4 hours. She was fine, she had fun with the counselors and other kids. We picked her up later for the duration of the day, and she was fine.

Carnival is great for kids and they learn so much on cruises, but I like to have some time for myself/my husband. I let the older ones have time by them selves on the ship to do what they want, and they spend time with other kids. My youngest likes the Camp Carnival counselors, the yare very protective and great with the kids. Mine have been in daycare since they were young because we both work, so that environment is very familiar to my kids. They have never complained about the time in C.C., they actually miss being there sometimes.

There are lots of excursions kids can go on, but if you want to leave your child for an excursion, as long as the child is OK and happy with the counselors, don't feel bad - enjoy yourself!
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Passenger

I left my then 9 year old daughter in the kids camp in a Cancun hotel and went shopping downtown. Five minutes after we left, there was a huge thunder and lightning storm and I was getting more and more anxious about the fact that I left her there alone. I made my husband return to the hotel with me in about 15 minutes, it was a terrible feeling and I would never do it again. If you are like me, you will not relax leaving your child alone while you are off the ship...... its just not worth it!!
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Passenger

I'm putting on my flame-proof hat with workinmomof3...my husband and I left our four year old in CC while we did a snorkel shore tour in Jamaica. The tour was literally within site of the ship, which did ease my mind. When we returned to pick up our son he begged to stay longer at camp. Funny story, actually...he was at the camp programn for an average of three hours per day and grew to enjoy his counselors and new friends so much when we got off the boat in Miami and started heading home he CRIED thinking when we disembarked at the end of the cruise we were all just going on another shore tour!

We're taking him again in October (he'll be 6) and plan on doing three tours wtih him, one without him, and not leaving the boat at all in San Juan due to the timing of arrival. He's already recalling CC fondly, and eager to get back on board. The security of the facility was superb, and the counselors well trained and friendly.
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:47 PM
First Mate

I take my daughter with me where ever I go, and she will be 10. I would feel that she was missing out on something that she would enjoy, like the beach or the dolphin encounter.

A few years ago, when my daughter was about 7, we went on the dolphin encounter in cozumel and she had the best time, she still talks about it.

I guess it is up to the parent if they feel more comfortable on leaving your child at camp carnival or not.
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Well when I first read the title of this thread, I thought to myself, "She must be kidding!!" That response was borne of my ignorance to the established practice and serviced provided by Carnival which allows a parent to check their little one into CC while they leave the ship to do a grown up excursion.

With that said, I vote you go for it. Your child is as safe as when you leave him/her at the daycare center each day and is probably a whole lot safer than following behind mom or dad on Island paradise on some excursion not designed for little people.

If you do this, make sure you take a ship's excursion so there will be a smooth stream of information if the need arrives.

It is a sure bet that the ship will not leave you behind when it leaves port. No way no how will they pull out with you on the island on your little one in their care and custody. Nope, they will search the entire island if they have to b/c mom/dad needs to get on the ship and pick up "lil spongebob". 8) 8)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Personally speaking....if I take my grandson (and before him, my daughter) on a cruise or any land based vacation, I spend every minute of the vacation doing fun things with them, creating memories as a family, it is our special time together. I want to be part of their happy memories. I would feel terrible if my grandson wanted to go on a cruise because he had so much fun with the babysitter in Camp Carnival.
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Admiral

P.S. My grandson is now 16 years old and we still travel together and he looks forward to and is excited about every vacation we spend together so that tells me I must have done something right. To have my grandson, at 16 years old, still look forward to traveling with his grandmother is a blessing.
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:55 PM
First Mate

My 14 year old and 17 year old niece will not be out of our sight the entire cruise. We are going to have fun as a family. I planned shore excursions that we can all do.

You never know what can happen. Fire, accident, etc...

No Holloway incident for us.

Brian

Sensation
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Leaving toddler on ship during excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmyk13
I have never been on a cruise and we are bringing our 2 1/2 year old. I see that you can leave your child with the camp workers while you are in port. What does everyone think of that and have you done it. I am so torn on what to do. I think she would have more fun staying on the ship but I am not sure how I feel about that.
IMO, it depends on your child. If she's happy in Camp Carnival and you're doing an "adult" excursion, I'd leave her there. If, heaven forbid, you don't get back to the ship before it sails (not very likely) she won't be shoved out of Camp Carnival to fend for herself ! Camp Carnival is one of the very best children's programs at sea, and I wouldn't hesitate to leave my grandchild there if he was happy and didn't want to go on shore with us.

I understand those of you who have older children wanting them to be with you, but at age 2 1/2 I'd do whatever makes the child happy!

Flame away !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

Your child will be safe on the ship, no worries there but will you have fun leaving your child? If so go for it but for myself, I would take my child and do the things I can do with them... But thats me.. besides, my wife would never leave our children on the ship when we got off..
They have fun at new places also.
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:02 AM
First Mate

Your 2 year old won't even remember any excursions you take him/her on. People are saying the Camp Carnival is great. If you can leave him/her with a babysitter to go to dinner and a movie together at home with a babysitter, you can do it on the cruise, right?

Just make sure to book your excursions with the ship so that they will know where you are if an emergency does arise.
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Passenger

We just returned from our cruise last week and we had our children 8 and 2 1/2. When we docked at Costa Maya we took both of them to the beach. My son played in the sand and water until he was pooped! He had fun. Will he remember it? Probably not except for the pictures I'll have.

When we docked at Cozumel we left him on the boat. Yes, we took him to Camp Carnival, checked him and walked right off of the boat. I didn't look back either. Does that mean I don't care about my son? No.
I knew he was in good hands and I also have faith in God. If something horrible did happen (to us) it was all in God's plan anyway and my son would be well taken care of.

Anyway, we took my daughter and spent a little one on one time because she's 8 and will remember it clearly. We took her to do the dolphin swim and we went to Paradise beach so she could jump on the water toys. We had a great time and I don't regret leaving him for half a second. He was fine when we returned back to the boat...he proabably had a better time there getting his face painted and making Dora the Explorer back packs than he would have had we drug him around Cozumel all day!

So go and have fun, your child will be well taken care of. It's great that a lot of the people who responded wants to spend every waking moment with their children but its not horrible to want to have a little time for yourself either. Heck, you could have left him/her at home with grandma for the whole duration of the cruise instead of the measly 6 hours that you will be on an excursion! (and my mom wouldn't have painted his face! )

Have fun whatever you do, you'll love it!!!!!!
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Leaving toddler on ship during excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmyk13

My family has been cruising since the girls were infants and YES, we left them with Camp Carnival plently of times while they were young. As a matter of fact, one time the tour ran late, the tour guide called the ship and the Camp Counselor assured us they were fine.

They even took them to the Lido deck for lunch. The girls loved it. Was I worried.... NOT EVEN FOR A SECOND.... Having cruised Carnival, and getting to know all about the counselors, my husband & I had a great time and the girls had an even better time.....

Please go, leave her behind and I bet you all have a great time....you on your tour, her with the Camp Counselors.... The only thing I absolutely do recommend in this case, book your tour thru the cruise line.....!!!!

Just because you leave her in the camp while you're on a tour doesn't mean that you can't spend time with her during sea days... Carnival is a family cruise line and there is always something to do for everyone... If it wasn't for Carnival and their camp program, I wouldnt be booking my 15th cruise with them!!!! The girls are now 13 & 16 and still love cruising, and, believe it or not, still participate in the Scavenger Hunt run by the Camp...
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:42 PM
First Mate

Just curious since I won't leave my kids on the ship without me.

Do they have any sort of credentials for the people watching the kids? When my son was in daycare the people running it were accredited with the state with a license. Every person that worked there had to taken a class and was a local that we knew. I am pretty sure none of them were a registered sex offender.

My impression is that most of the people working on the ships are very nice, but from a third world country. Don't flame me saying I am prejudice of third world country people because I am not. I am wondering if Carnival does any sort of background check or do they have any training? Did they just happen to land in the Camp Carnival department by chance instead of being a bus boy?

Thanks,

Brian

Sensation
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpm
Just curious since I won't leave my kids on the ship without me.

Do they have any sort of credentials for the people watching the kids? When my son was in daycare the people running it were accredited with the state with a license. Every person that worked there had to taken a class and was a local that we knew. I am pretty sure none of them were a registered "***" offender.

My impression is that most of the people working on the ships are very nice, but from a third world country. Don't flame me saying I am prejudice of third world country people because I am not. I am wondering if Carnival does any sort of background check or do they have any training? Did they just happen to land in the Camp Carnival department by chance instead of being a bus boy?

Thanks,

Brian
May I step in here?

I do not have small children that I cruz with but I did walk over to Camp Carnival once just to see what it was like. If it makes you feel any better, just like the entertainers, the camp employees that I saw were all American women. Now, tell me, would the background check be unnecessary if the OP was taking their child with them on an excursion?

Trust me, Carnival is fully aware of what people are working Camp Carnival and what is going on every minute of every hour of every day. I am sure the entire camp is under surveillence and is filmed and I wouldn't be surprised if counselors aren't required to be paired up at all times. In other words, no one-on-one. On the other hand, if you take your little one to the beach on a tropical island and you blink or turn your head. . . . .

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:35 PM
First Mate

Last year on Elation, there was a Camp Carnival Counselor named Lizabeth from the Phillipines, and my daughter absolutely loved and adored her. My daughter would have stayed in Camp Carnival the whole time if we let her. She did come with us on the excursions, but as soon as we got back on the ship, she wanted to go to Camp Carnival.
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

My daughter loved Camp Carnival. As her mom, I knew she was a social child who adapted well. Only you, as a mom, will know if your child is a clingy child who needs a parent by his side 24/7, or if he is oblivious to comings and goings and adapts to his environment. You know the answer to your question. Or, you will know the answer to your question as soon as you check out Camp Carnival! Have fun!

Melody

PS You're not a bad mom, no matter what your decision happens to be.
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Admiral

I have never had any reason for concern when allowing my children to attend the children's programs with Carnival, RCCL or NCL , whether I am on the ship or not. The young men and women who staff these positions generally have, or are working on university degrees in early childhood development. Most of the counsellors are not American, but many are from Canada, and other parts of the world.
As my children get older and I am more comfortable with taking them on shore excursions we find that we use Camp Carnival much less on Port days. But indeed it is a luxury during those days when you want to be a little more free or adventurous, and it does ensure that everyone has a great vacation and no one gets shortchanged.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Passenger

Thanks to everyone that responded. I have alot to think about.....
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Passenger

Wow, this is a tough one. My son is now 22 but on the last couple of cruises our group (95+) had children and grandchildren of various ages. The kids LOVE camp carnival and they are so well taken care of. I would have no hesitation about leaving my kids at the camp while I was on board. I think it would also depend on the excursion and whether the ship was docked. Some of the ports have stuff you can see right there and then there are others that are 8 hours and you have to take a couple hour bus ride to get to. Personally, I could probably do a little site seeing right by the ship but an excursion that was by bus or boat I'd be too paranoid. It all depends on what your comfort zone is.
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Obviously there are 2 main concerns that are different than taking your child to normal daycare:

1. In case of an emergency, (even on a Carnival excursion) you can not be reached easily.

2. A normal daycare can't sail without you. Carnival ships can and it has happened to people even on a Carnival shore excursion. The ship does wait 98% of the time....but there is that 2% when they have left passengers on Carnival excursions at the port.

We have 2 boys that started sailing with us when they were 5 and 8. We have never taken an excursion without them. When they were 10 and 13, we would allow them to stay at CC at ports that we were docked at only (never where we tendered in) while we walked around the dock area to do a little shopping. And that decision was based solely on the maturity level of our oldest son. By that age, he had already traveled to places like Israel with us and was more proficient at getting around than I was.

I believe our children are our most precious resource and certainly worth a little inconvenience while on vacation.

This has nothing to do with the quality of care at Camp Carnival. They have always met or exceeded our expectations on all 16 cruises. We have had counselors who have had their Master's degrees in Education.

However, there is no substitution for a parent when an emergency arises.
And, IMO, there is no excursion worth taking that kind of chance with my child at that age.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp
Obviously there are 2 main concerns that are different than taking your child to normal daycare:

1. In case of an emergency, (even on a Carnival excursion) you can not be reached easily.

2. A normal daycare can't sail without you. Carnival ships can and it has happened to people even on a Carnival shore excursion. The ship does wait 98% of the time....but there is that 2% when they have left passengers on Carnival excursions at the port.

We have 2 boys that started sailing with us when they were 5 and 8. We have never taken an excursion without them. When they were 10 and 13, we would allow them to stay at CC at ports that we were docked at only (never where we tendered in) while we walked around the dock area to do a little shopping. And that decision was based solely on the maturity level of our oldest son. By that age, he had already traveled to places like Israel with us and was more proficient at getting around than I was.

I believe our children are our most precious resource and certainly worth a little inconvenience while on vacation.

This has nothing to do with the quality of care at Camp Carnival. They have always met or exceeded our expectations on all 16 cruises. We have had counselors who have had their Master's degrees in Education.

However, there is no substitution for a parent when an emergency arises.
And, IMO, there is no excursion worth taking that kind of chance with my child at that age.
Well said!
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Admiral

I see no reason for concern about leaving the children at Camp Carnival BUT... only when I would be onboard myself. This topic was in a thread earlier this year (or was it last year) about someone doing the same thing. If I were to leave the ship, my kids would be with me. Too many things to go wrong if I were on an excursion and something seriously happened to my child. How would you feel if the child were to break his/her arm if you left them and you were on an excursion for a couple of hours. You would be P!$$ed bigtime. You know it. Even though it could still happen while you were onboard, at least you would be there sooner rather than later.

Now... OFF the soapbox.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.