Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Default Ever Missed the Ship

Have you ever been left behind at a port?

Tell us your story.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

We have never been left behind but in 2005 at Cozumel a group of high school band kids were 5 hours late getting back to the boat. The boat did wait but I am sure a few kids got in a little trouble...
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I haven't personally, but I do have two stories. The first is from 1991 while docked at Reynolds Pier, naturally, this was way before the current pier was built. Two women were, uhm, how shall I say this, detained for some illegial purchases that the sniffer dogs, which were stationed right before we got back on the ship, caught a good wiff of. They were arrested and all of their belongings were taken off the ship. I don't know how long they were guests of Jamaican police, but it would be much worse now...

This past January we docked in Costa Maya along with two other ships-yup, damn busy day at theshopping/entertainment complex that day. The ship was scheduled to leave at 5, and 5pm means 5pm. Three people seemed to forget all of the reminders--in the capers, loudspeaker annoucements, and reminders while leaving the ship earlier in the day. We were told to ber back on board no later than 430pm, uhm, ya 5 pm rolls by and one young guy came a running. He wasn't the last--a couple was just getting to the turn when we all started to yell "Run, we're leaving without you..." and they did, quite fast actually....They got stern warnings and yet another annoucement was made about keeping their watches on ship time. The horn blast at 430 should have warned them, but they set their time back one hour, so they thought they had plenty of time.....The ship left 10 minutes late, no big deal.
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

On every cruise I've been on but one, Somebody has been left at the pier.There's always some one, or persons, that don't believe they'll be left. Usually, those are the people that are late for everything. And they honestly believe the ship will wait no matter what they do. Boy, do they get a shock of a lifetime

The wife and I always go up to the Lido deck and watch who's going to be running down the pier waving there hands like mad We've seen from 1 person to 4 & 5 people running towards the ship.

Just to clarify myself, If you book a tour through Carnival, and your bus or boat breaks down, and your late returning because of that, YES, Carnival will wait on you. But... If your on your own, well then, your on your own.

I (we) are always back on the ship atleast an hour before sailing. The lines are alot shorter at that time too.

Happy Sailing to all;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

I am usually late for everything...but HOPEFULLY I will never be left behind by a ship. I have seen many passengers cutting it close like this, and I do NOT wish to be one of them.

I am normally back on board at least 1 hour prior to sailing.

KNOCK ON WOOD.
Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We have seen them every time we have been to Jamaica. I always get our rooms on that side of the ship, so we have something to watch while waiting on everyone to board the ship.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 12th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Ever missed the ship

Cool! More free entertainment

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Admiral

I have one story. On RCCL VOTS stop to Ochos Rios.

There was a woman with her two children, ages 8-10. The captain made the announcement to stay on ship's time which was an hour ahead of Jamaica time. This woman went off on her own without a watch.

Well, her and her children walked up to the port just in time to see the ship pulling out. She later told my husband and I that the pain she felt in her gut to see the ship leaving was akin to a labor contraction. She was terrified b/c not only did she not have a watch but by this time she had no more money.

She went to one of the boats that were tied up to the pier and had to plea and beg the owner of the boat to take her and her children out to the cruiseship. The boat's owners was very rude and mean to her b/c he wanted payment upfront. She had no money.

Once she convinced him to take her out to the boat, her and her two children had to climb up the rope ladder and crawl into the hatch in order to get back on the ship. Just inside the hatch the ship's captain was standing. He paid the smaller boat's owner for his troubles and placed that charge on the woman's sail and sign account.

Moral of the story is STAY ON THE SHIP'S TIME AND CARRY A WATCH!!!

This part of the young woman's story was true but there was something fishy about it. She was relatively young to have these two kids (definitely under 30). She was alone on the ship, just her and her kids. She didn't seem like the type to be able to afford a cruise for 3 or even want to with just her and her kids. She later told me that when she was in Jamaica her and the kids went to visit the children's father who lived in Jamaica. She was American. It just stuck me as an odd way have the children visit dad. The thought that went through my mind was some sort of "courier."

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Captain

personal we have never miss the ship we always take carnival shore trip
we know that if we have a problem getting back they will wait i did
enjoyed watch the people trying to catch ship we always stay in ship time
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dhudd

We've never missed the ship, but I have a story...

When we had a port visit in "Cabo San Lucas". We were tendered back and forth to the ship using the ship's own lifeboat tenders. We were told to return to the ship by 13:30 hours, (1:30 for you landlubbers), to set sail by 14:00 hrs. Approximately 14:00 hrs we could see & hear a priviate boat speeding, "all ahead flank"speed, the people on board were screaming & yelling for our ship to stop, (we really haven't started making way yet but the anchor was up). Well there about 6 people that wanted to come aboard, (latebirds). One of the guys that were on this boat was so drunk that he slipped off the small docking area between the ship & boat and fell into the water. We were laughing so much that I almost lost my drink off our balcony. My side hurt for awhile from laughing. I wish that I had my camera at the ready then. I also bet that little boat ride was one of the most expensive boat rides ever.
Just like when I was in the U.S. Navy, in Hong Kong. There were no piers there at that time, so we had to anchor out. They had "watertaxis" to take us from our ship to the pier. They charged us 1 "Hong Kong" dollar for this service, and charged us 9 to return to the ship. They knew that we had to return to the ship...they got us. Dave & Diane

MS Carnival Spirit 10/2006
MS Carnival Victory 12/2005
MS Star Princess 12/2002
MS Carnival Victory 12/2000
USS Bristol County, LST 1198, 1980-1982
USS Turner Joy, DD951, 1973-1978