Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default What happened to Carnival???

I was just watching videos from our prior Carnival cruises and noticed something. For some reason it seems that Carnival is getting extremely korny. On this past cruise I noticed some things that I could definatly do without, the color teams, etc. But I did not really notice it until I watched our prior videos.

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THE DISTINCT CARNIVAL ATMOSPHERE???

Why don't they have elaborate sail away parties anymore??? Why don't they blast party music over the loudspeakers when we set sail?? What happened to the excitement? Whats with all the korny activities??? And WHY are they doing away with the adult only areas???

Wasn't Carnival the cruise line who made the industry what it is today? Or at least had a large part to do with it??

I miss my Carnival...will someone please bring it back??!!!

Read and post cruise reviews

Booked :razz:
NCL Sun - November 2011
Disney Dream - December 2012 *Honeymoon*

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
Carnival Triumph - January 2010
Carnival Glory - April 2007
Carnival Inspiration - July 2006
NCL Star - April 2003
Carnival Sensation - April 1998
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Admiral

I can see your point to a degree. I certainly could do without the "Red, White and Blue" game. (I don't think they even keep track of the points, but just make something up as they go along). I too miss some of the things they used to do, like the sail away party. It was great. They do, however have adult only areas, but they aren't always enforced. They did get rid of the "topless" deck, but only a handful of people actually used it, so for the general population of the ship, that may be better. (it might open a few more deck chairs around the main pool)
I actually quit sailing Carnival for several years, but last year came back, and sailed her 4 times, and have sailed her 2 so far this year, with 2 more booked, so obviously, I still enjoy the line. I think you get more for the buck on Carnival than any other line.

See you aboard,

Ken
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Maybe they are trying to "cater" toward the more mature cruiser. You know, the ones that don't "party" 24 hours day. Whatever they are doing seems to work for most cruisers. We don't care for the "hairy chest, sexy leg, etc." contest. I think they are in bad taste, but a lot of people enjoy them and that's fine. Maybe they are trying to bring more of a variety of activities to the ship that appeal to more "types" of cruisers!!

Carnival legend November 2009
Carnival Glory October 2007
Carnival Elation November 2006
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:11 PM
First Mate

Hey some people really go all out for the red white and blue. We just watch.
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Unfortunately, the more "family-friendly" and "mature" they go, the less fun it is for the younger and/or party-minded crowd. I think the shows are old-fashioned and hokey. The comedians are just ok. The games are marginal and sometimes rigged to make them appear more fun. I was quite disappointed when I found out they had planted people as characters as if they were colorful passengers who just happened to do funny things during the games.

If a cruise cost me any more than it does, I would have to seriously consider whether the lack of interesting activities would make it worth it for me. Right now, I cruise because it's cheaper than a hotel room/food per night and I can see a few other ports of call. I think there is a definite hole in the cruise industry for true "party ships" but I don't know if there is quite enough demand to support an entire line dedicated to the younger, current, partying demographic.

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriloo
Unfortunately, the more "family-friendly" and "mature" they go, the less fun it is for the younger and/or party-minded crowd. I think the shows are old-fashioned and hokey. The comedians are just ok. The games are marginal and sometimes rigged to make them appear more fun. I was quite disappointed when I found out they had planted people as characters as if they were colorful passengers who just happened to do funny things during the games.

If a cruise cost me any more than it does, I would have to seriously consider whether the lack of interesting activities would make it worth it for me. Right now, I cruise because it's cheaper than a hotel room/food per night and I can see a few other ports of call. I think there is a definite hole in the cruise industry for true "party ships" but I don't know if there is quite enough demand to support an entire line dedicated to the younger, current, partying demographic.
They plant people on the ship to pretend to be passengers???? Do tell me more.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

I make the cruise what I want it to be. I don't care for the korrny games and stuff but thats OK, I don';t have to attend. Alot of people like them because I know they get crowded..
They are trying to become more m"FAMILY orientated"
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

I watched the "not so newlywed" game and there was an elderly couple who had been married over 50 years. The husband was the perfect cute "little old man" and he always had clever things to say. The CD was the famous John Heald. All throughout the cruise, the same couple was in practically every game and became famous with the crowd to the point where the couple would get stopped by people everywhere they went. During one game, the gentleman's pants "accidentally" fell down and he was wearing boxers with a big yellow smiley face on them, which was a huge hit and the CD made a huge production about being shocked about it. Halloween night we were standing in line for the costume parade and I overheard a woman talking about the guy and how he wasn't really a passenger but was hired to spice up the games. Made sense to me because he was too perfect with the clever comebacks and having that funny underwear on when his pants fell down. Oh, well.

Carnival Fascination

Old May 9th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou 123
I make the cruise what I want it to be. I don't care for the korrny games and stuff but thats OK, I don';t have to attend. Alot of people like them because I know they get crowded..
I think they are also slowing it down a bit b/c their core market are baby boomers who are getting older. The 20's somethings are concerned with student loans, starting careers and family, purchasing homes and big ticket items. They don't have the disposable cash yet to be steady customers. Now empty-nesters and never-nesters are the basis that fills the ships week after week.

Las Vegas also tried to become more family orientated and that was a disaster.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I sailed on the Victory in January and they had a sail away party in Miami and Mexico. They also had music playing all day from 9ish am to 6pm.

The cruise is what you make of it. Planted people or not, make it fun and have fun. It doesn't matter if there are some silly, foolish games, if you get a laugh out of it great, if you want to pass on it, pass on it...I enjoy it all because I want some fond memories in case I can't afford to go cruisng again for a while. I have some money at my disposal now, but in a years time or longer, who knows...
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Wow, so many flamers lately. Go to the gripes board.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Admiral

I am with you Mehawk!
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Captain

I definately am not complaining since we just booked cruise number 12 on Carnnival, but I do miss some of the things they used to do. for example

No sail away music from the embarkation port. In years past they played music on the PA system as we left the dock. On the Celebration they played the song Celebration etc

No more dinner chime and announcement before dinner. They used to play a few notes on something that sounded like a zylaphone then announced Ladies and Gentlemen the Pacific and Atlantic dining rooms are now open for our main seating dinner bon appitete!

no deck of Carnival playing cards in your stateroom, but the are available free from the pursers desk

AKcruiser
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

I definatly have to disagree with the comment of 20 somethings have too much debt to be consistant cruisers. Every age group of passengers has debt to contend with. Carnival is not that expensive. My husband and I are in our twenties as well as most of the people we have met aboard ship. As a matter of fact all the "young people" we have met are repeat cruisers. We are in the process of booking our 4th Carnival cruise right now actually, so I don't agree with the statement towards the younger generation.

This past cruise reminded me of sailing with a retirement community. I would have to say about 50-75% of the passengers were over 60. That is not a bad thing at all, on other cruise lines. Carnival is for the young cruiser. They based thier entire image towards the younger crowd. Why they are getting away from that is beyond me. It is hurting them more than anything. The proof is in the passengers. Our past cruise on the Glory I hardly saw any repeat passengers....you wanna take a guess at why???? Because this is not the Carnival they fell in love with!!!

This is the MASS MARKET CARNIVAL. They are no longer any different than any of the other lines now. They are simply the cheapest, which shows dramatically. Carnival simply cannot compete with Royal, Princess, Celebrity, Holland America, Crystal, etc. They own 2 of the companies mentioned above, therefore they are making the profits off the "mature" crowd...so why the H&%% are they taking the FUN away from US??? They get thier retirement money, they get thier honeymoon money, they get thier family money...so why are they taking away thier FUN money??? I hope the Carnival I LOVE will return one day.

For now we are only sailing on the Fantasy class ships. They are the only ones that still hold the fadeing light of what USED to be the FUN SHIPS of CARNIVAL.

NCL Sun - November 2011

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
NCL Star - April 2003
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_langett
I definatly have to disagree with the comment of 20 somethings have too much debt to be consistant cruisers. Every age group of passengers has debt to contend with. Carnival is not that expensive. My husband and I are in our twenties as well as most of the people we have met aboard ship. As a matter of fact all the "young people" we have met are repeat cruisers. We are in the process of booking our 4th Carnival cruise right now actually, so I don't agree with the statement towards the younger generation.

This past cruise reminded me of sailing with a retirement community. I would have to say about 50-75% of the passengers were over 60. That is not a bad thing at all, on other cruise lines. Carnival is for the young cruiser. They based thier entire image towards the younger crowd. Why they are getting away from that is beyond me. It is hurting them more than anything. The proof is in the passengers. Our past cruise on the Glory I hardly saw any repeat passengers....you wanna take a guess at why???? Because this is not the Carnival they fell in love with!!!

This is the MASS MARKET CARNIVAL. They are no longer any different than any of the other lines now. They are simply the cheapest, which shows dramatically. Carnival simply cannot compete with Royal, Princess, Celebrity, Holland America, Crystal, etc. They own 2 of the companies mentioned above, therefore they are making the profits off the "mature" crowd...so why the H&%% are they taking the FUN away from US??? They get thier retirement money, they get thier honeymoon money, they get thier family money...so why are they taking away thier FUN money??? I hope the Carnival I LOVE will return one day.

For now we are only sailing on the Fantasy class ships. They are the only ones that still hold the fadeing light of what USED to be the FUN SHIPS of CARNIVAL.
I'm with you. You're going to get flamed for not saying only nice things about Carnival here but I'm glad to hear someone feels the same way I do.

Carnival Fascination

Old May 10th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Lauri!

We can try our best to keep the old Carnival spirit alive!! Everyone to the topless deck!!! Drinks, band, conga line...lets do this the REAL CARNIVAL WAY!!!!

NCL Sun - November 2011

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
NCL Star - April 2003
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:
I think they are also slowing it down a bit b/c their core market are baby boomers who are getting older. The 20's somethings are concerned with student loans, starting careers and family, purchasing homes and big ticket items. They don't have the disposable cash yet to be steady customers. Now empty-nesters and never-nesters are the basis that fills the ships week after week.

Las Vegas also tried to become more family orientated and that was a disaster.
To A_Langett:

I have added my previous post so that you may read my comment again.

You are on your fourth cruise in how many years? Are these 7+ day cruises or the short, fun and inexpensive 3-4 nighters?

You may not have the financial issues, priorities, restraints or goals of other 20's/30's somethings but that is when people pay off student loans, create careers, get married, purchase homes, start families. With all of those major events, multiple cruises are just not in the stars. Often times at that age, they do not have the ability to take that much time away from their jobs so no, 20's somethings are not the frequent cruisers (nore do they run up huge tabs on the ship). Are there some, yes. But, except for the very short, less expensive (Fantasy class ships) cruises, most passengers are not in their 20's.

As far as debt goes, everyone has debt. However often times debt when you are older is offset by assets acquired over the years (homes, stock, savings, retirement funds). Debt in your 20's (unless you have an inheritance or a winning lottery ticket) is usually balanced with ZERO. It is simply "pay tomorrow" debt.

I read somewhere that the average age of cruise passenger is 40 or so.

The industry will cater to whatever demographic is making it profitable. Right now it is families and people less inclined to frequent the F-Deck, hence the F-Deck is history.

They may do a turnaround like Las Vegas has done.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_langett
Thanks Lauri!

We can try our best to keep the old Carnival spirit alive!! Everyone to the topless deck!!! Drinks, band, conga line...lets do this the REAL CARNIVAL WAY!!!!

If Carnival returns to the old days, I'll find another line (and pay a little more )
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Admiral

To each there own.
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Passenger

Todays Carnival is what it is. If i like what is going on, i watch or participate, if not i find something else to occupy my time. I'm on vacation, Don't want to waste a single minute worrying about what they used to have. I personally loved the old Carnival and i love the new Carnival. As long as i'm not at work and it's not costing me a fortune to go, I don't give a rats *** how korny they get. A cruise is like nearly everything else in life, it's what you make of it.
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

<<A cruise is like nearly everything else in life, it's what you make of it.>>

Amen Carolina Madman!! I can have fun in a shoebox if it included great people. There is always something for everyone on a cruise. Its up that that person to find it. That is why I fell in love with cruising.

With so much to do in such a small area its a "no brainer" when it comes to fun!!

Mark
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Yeoman

I just got flamed (as usual) on another cruise message board (why do I keep going back there anyway???) just because I posted on a thread about the singing waiters in the dining room. Everyone was bashing them and threatening to write corporate if they continue having them. I personally see nothing wrong with them, maybe if I took 10 cruises a year, I might get a little tired of it but overall I enjoy the playfulness and laughter of it all. AKcruiser, I remember sailaway on the Celebration, in fact, that was the last time I took a cruise...lol. I am SO ready for our family cruise next month!
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Beginner

I was on the Inspiration in 2005 and my in-laws were selected from the audience for the "Not So Newlywed Game" because they were the only couple married 50 plus years. They were the hit of the show! My inlaws are a hoot anyway so just wanted to post that the contestants are not planted (at least not this time).
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inis46
I just got flamed (as usual) on another cruise message board (why do I keep going back there anyway???) just because I posted on a thread about the singing waiters in the dining room. Everyone was bashing them and threatening to write corporate if they continue having them. I personally see nothing wrong with them, maybe if I took 10 cruises a year, I might get a little tired of it but overall I enjoy the playfulness and laughter of it all. AKcruiser, I remember sailaway on the Celebration, in fact, that was the last time I took a cruise...lol. I am SO ready for our family cruise next month!

Did you go back to CC? I thought you were through with them!!! Hahahahaha. That is the only cruise board where your humble opinion "is dem der fightin' words"!!

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Administrator
Admiral

If someone likes or dislikes a change or something else about a cruise line they are free to express it on this or any cruise line board. All of our cruise line boards aren't reserved for just cheer leading the home team. Though I believe there is often far more to cheer about then not. It is a board to have an open discussion and not a place where someone can't express their honest opinion, in a civil manner, without being asked overtly or underhandedly to "Go away" or be flamed.

It something we, at Cruisemates, take pride in. Our readers and staff are open minded and allow others to express their opinions and, at times, we do have to take a stand and make sure we stay that way.

I personally don't like the singing waiters but there are couple of million repeat customers that do and until the customers say the don't like them Carnival better keep them.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Passenger

Default What Has Happened To Carnival

Good question - I think it extends beyond Carnival to all cruise lines.

It is my assessment that all cruise lines have tried to be "all things to all people" in the years since 9/11. The distinct, I mean distinct, differences between lines have blurred such that the entire industry is really "mass".

People, like myself, who have cruised over 2 decades really notice the difference. Celebrity is my fav line and I have noticed the reduced benchmark of food, service, delivery of consistent on board tone and culture and consistency of passenger over the years.

So as you lament where did the "party harty" Carnival go - hence my point.

I personally have concern about another cruise until I am sure the cruise line is clear on what their target market is, what their offerings are and that they will ensure it is delivered.

An enduring principle is - state your offering and deliver it and enforce it on board. If people generally know before hand, there will be less dissatisfied cruisers and more repeat cruisers.

I would also agree that the cruise lines are following the demographic trends and the 40+ crowd is where the volume is - not the 20 somethings. There is also a backlash against the "dumbing down, casual, I will do what I want" attitude of the past 5 years.

All I know is that when I cruise Celebrity - I had better not find myself sharing the ship with semi-drunk conventioners (or any other large group) who have taken over the dining room for the main sitting and forced everyone else to late sitting. This is what is happening on Celebrity and other ships on a more regular basis than the cruise lines want you to know.

No cruise line can deliver a customized vacation to everyone - there has to be some basic core offering - that is what should be made clear to everyone.

Trust the above is helpful

Kindest Regards ABoatNerd
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Mikw M,

I believe people have three choices when dealing with problems.
1) Talk to someone that can deal with the problem.
2) Deal with the problem yourself.
3) Drop it.

If someone wants to sit around and complain there will be no change and all that happens is other people get pulled down. I don't think anyone is told they can't express themselves here but there needs to be some value from it and not just sit around and complain to complain.. This is a leason some parents forgot to teach, I think!
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
If someone wants to sit around and complain there will be no change and all that happens is other people get pulled down. I don't think anyone is told they can't express themselves here but there needs to be some value from it and not just sit around and complain to complain.. This is a leason some parents forgot to teach, I think!
Lou:

In regard to this thread, a couple of posts have been removed. Someone is just as entitled to say they are not pleased with something just as they are with saying something positive. Opposite opinions can be expressed if done so in a civil manner. If the opposite opinion can't be expressed in that manner then people should just pass over the thread instead of adding to the feeding frenzy or alienating someone with an issue or opinion that, to them and many others, is valid. Perhaps that is the other side of the manners coin and brings other people down.

So let's get back to the topic at hand.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Wow, so many flamers lately. Go to the gripes board.
Just noticed LEO Supervisor and retirement coming up, so do you know Captain Darrell S.?
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M

I personally don't like the singing waiters but there are couple of million repeat customers that do and until the customers say the don't like them Carnival better keep them.

Take care,
Mike
OK Mike,

Now you have really gone too far, I love the singing waiters, do not take them away!

Bill