CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Department of State to Introduce Passport Card (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/333028-department-state-introduce-passport-card.html)

Irish Shark May 9th, 2007 01:12 PM

Department of State to Introduce Passport Card

Note: NOT GOOD FOR AIR TRAVEL - OK for Cruise Ship Travel between the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda

Media Note
Office of the Spokesman
Washington, DC
October 17, 2006

Department of State to Introduce Passport Card

To meet the documentary requirements of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), the Department of State, in consultation with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), today announced and submitted for public comment a federal rule proposing the development of a card-format passport for international travel by U.S. citizens through land and sea ports of entry between the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

The limited-use passport card will be adjudicated to the same standards as a traditional passport book. The rule published today proposes a wallet-sized card that would cost $10 for children and $20 for adults, plus a $25 execution fee.

To facilitate the frequent travel of those living in U.S. border communities and those traveling on commercial maritime vessels, the Department of State has committed to producing a passport card that incorporates cutting-edge technology. The technology incorporated in the proposed card was designed in coordination with DHS specifically to address the operational needs of land border-crossings. The proposed passport card would use long-range, or vicinity, radio frequency identification (RFID) technology to link the card to a secure U.S. government database containing biographical data and a photograph. The card itself will not contain any personal information, and DHS will implement protections to keep the database secure.

The passport card is the core element of the PASS (People Access Security Service) System announced by Secretaries Rice and Chertoff in January 2006, and will secure and expedite travel to and from the United States.

The proposed rule is available for public viewing and comment at www.regulations.gov. For more information, visit www.dhs.gov or travel.state.gov.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2006/74083.htm

mteague May 9th, 2007 03:17 PM

Shoot, at $45.00 and about the same amount of trouble, I'd go ahead and get the Real McCoy!

Irish Shark May 9th, 2007 04:29 PM

It is 57% cheaper for over 16 and 43% cheaper for under 16. It is meant for those folks who think that they won't fly into/out of the country and who think that the passport fee is too much.

Current Passport Fees:

Age 16 and older: The passport application fee is $67. The execution fee is $30. The total is $97 .

Under Age 16: The passport application fee is $52. The execution fee is $30. The total is $82 .

The passport application fee includes the $12.00 Security Surcharge, which became effective March 8, 2005.

Lou 123 May 9th, 2007 04:51 PM

I am still glad I got my passport....

Irish Shark May 9th, 2007 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou 123

We never travel without it. Good as gold for ID purposes.

Next on the horizon is the National Drivers License. :roll: :roll: Heck, the Government should just make every US citizen get a passport and be done with it.

Skeeter1602 May 9th, 2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou 123

We never travel without it. Good as gold for ID purposes.

Next on the horizon is the National Drivers License. :roll: :roll: Heck, the Government should just make every US citizen get a passport and be done with it.

I will keep my passport too.

It really is funny when it comes to what they take as an ID. I went to get a ID card afew years back right after 911 so I could get on a flight (local county cop had my DL for "speeding in his territory <LOL> :oops: ) Now since I did not have my DL as an ID I had to go and get a copy of my Birth certificate, and still had to have one other form of ID. They wouldn't take my FAA issued Pilots license (How screwy is that?) but they would take a current utility bill with my name on it?!?!?!?!?!

If I had a passport at the time they woul have taken that by itself. So yes I think you are right on about every citizen having a passport.

Mark

mteague May 9th, 2007 05:31 PM

A man called Skeeter......speeding......doesn't surprise me! :D Are you from Alabama? :D

Oh Irish, I agree the card is cheaper, but with my luck, I'd get stranded somewhere overseas and need the real deal to catch a plane home!

Melody

Skeeter1602 May 9th, 2007 05:49 PM

<<A man called Skeeter......speeding......doesn't surprise me! Are you from Alabama?>>

Nope sorry Mel, Illinois!!! :-P Funny thing is I have been called the slow and too overly cautious driver by many. Being a CDL truck driver will do that to ya!

Cassandra May 9th, 2007 06:54 PM

You guys are missing the fine lining.

"Limited use" passport card which probably means "limited time" as well. So what happens when it expires? You have to buy another one?

No thanks, I'll keep my 10 year passport.

mteague May 10th, 2007 12:18 AM

Skeeter,

I bet you see a great many sights from your perch on the highway!

Keep it between the whites! :wink:

Mel

Dutchman May 10th, 2007 09:10 AM

That will be good for Canada and Mexico travel, For other places it will be a hard sell. Not enough info on it to just look at or check on inf.

Irish Shark May 10th, 2007 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassandra
You guys are missing the fine lining.

"Limited use" passport card which probably means "limited time" as well. So what happens when it expires? You have to buy another one?

No thanks, I'll keep my 10 year passport.

Nope, limited use = can not be used in all circumstances unlike a passport.

It has nada to do with time. It is good for 10 years just as a passport is.

Irish Shark May 10th, 2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchman
That will be good for Canada and Mexico travel, For other places it will be a hard sell. Not enough info on it to just look at or check on inf.

Note: NOT GOOD FOR AIR TRAVEL - OK for Cruise Ship Travel between the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda

adias.angel May 10th, 2007 12:37 PM

This is a 8 month old press release. I can't find anymore info on it at the government websites listed. Any ideas what the status of this is? Carla ;)

Irish Shark May 10th, 2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adias.angel
This is a 8 month old press release. I can't find anymore info on it at the government websites listed. Any ideas what the status of this is? Carla ;)

It was supposed to be ready sooner, but it looks like the Governemnt is trying to have it ready before the new passport rules go into effect next year. They are shooting for the Summer of 2007, but I have no idea if they will make that date.

"The Passport Card (also referred to as the PASS Card): This limited-use passport in card format is currently under development and will be available for use for travel only via land or sea (including ferries) between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. Similar in size to a credit card, it will fit easily into a wallet."

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

"The Homeland Security Appropriations Act of 2007 (P.L. 109-295) directed the Commerce Department’s National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) to review the card architecture of the Passport Card, proposed by the Department of State as an alternative to the traditional passport book under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative."

"NIST determined, and on May 3, 2007, NIST Director William Jeffrey certified, that the proposed card architecture -- as described in the draft, revised RFP -- meets or exceeds the relevant standards and best practices as specified in the statute."

http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/factsheet/whti.html