Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Familiar Face

Default Carnival Freedom

Totally enjoyed my first cruise and looking for the next one already

What did you think of the decor? I have not been on any other cruise ship and I thought the decor was a little garish.

Carnival Freedom/4-2007

Free Cruise Clocks
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Yeoman

Pamulla, you were on the freedom?? Please post a review on here. Those of who are booked on it are dying for info Carla
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Familiar Face

Difficult to compare since this was my first cruise:

-food was acceptible on the Lido and pretty special in the dining room except the coffee which was fairly bad everywhere
-service was very good, esp. the dining room
-balcony cabin was well-fitted with plenty of storage space: someone suggested a power strip to avoid the one plug crowding
-entertainment was variable: some better than others; some more appealing than others
-I like the cruise director and his corny announcements
-we got what we needed from the shore excursions: they were pricey, but gave us hassle free sight seeing without worrying about finding our way
-totally annoyed by the photographers popping up everywhere; we each had a digital camera and were happy with our own photos
-the decor was fairly hideous. I have seen better Burger Kings and the voice in the elevator was a little pretentious
-laundry facilities were inadequate and frequently broken
-no policing of the adults only spas which were frequently occupied with splashing children
-a little uncomfortable being a foreign country without a passport (they held them until we finished traveling through Turkey and Greece) but since we went on Carnival excursions I guess it was okay. I would have been much more uncomfortable if we went sightseeing on our own.
-liked the Sign and sail system.
-the beds, towels, and robes were fantastic.
-also the space to guest ratio must have been pretty good because it rarely felt crowded; there were plenty of service people taking care of business
-the trip to the dining room was a little klugey: you needed to cross over on the 5th deck and down to 3 for the back dining room. I really needed a map of the ship for the first few days; not just what was posted by the elevators.

Looking at cruising with the Splendor in Northern Europe

Carnival Freedom/4-2007

Free Cruise Clocks
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Pam, Carnival ships are notorious for their gharious decor, just enjoy it.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:25 AM
First Mate

CCL ships the decor is to jump out and get you, It just gets people different ways. We love all the different decors all the ships have. Its the cruise decore.
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamulla
Looking at cruising with the Splendor in Northern Europe
Us too! Maybe we will be on the same cruise
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Passenger

Hi Pam,
What excursions did you go on? Can you rate them and tell us a little about them?

Going on the same cruise in September, first time in Europe.
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Familiar Face

I thoroughly enjoyed this cruise, my first and a great introduction to cruising. First, I really enjoyed the wit of the director John Heald. I felt he made the trip more fun.
Excursions:
I tried to pick the most interesting and to fill the day rather than short hops. I booked online before we left and we were not disappointed. There are limitations to excursion tours and you should acknowledge and accept them: you have less freedom and free time, but no hassles or worries. We did Rome on our own and I found myself continually clockwatching because I didn't want to chance missing the bus. Our guides were generally good but heard horror stories of others. Made a point to review trips for Carnival
Excursions with a meal do spend a good hour at least in the restaurant and I found the cuisine okay but not necessarily what I would get if I were on my own.
Naples: went to Capri, Sorrento & Pompeii. Been to Pompeii before. Almost got lost there this time and was truly scared.
Rhodes: Filermos and Rhodes. May not be on this trip Interesting
Izmer and Epheuses including museum: interesting esp history, careful walking around ruins
Istanbul: great city with lots to see. Felt a little rushed. Ate at the Topkapi palace. The Grand Bazaar was over hyped but okay. The stores they take you to are vastly overpriced esp. carpets. We found a good deal in the bazaar.
Athens: fabulous. We went to the Acropolis and Plaka. Very treacherous terrain and lost our guide due to her pace. luckily found a Carnival rep who helped us find our group.
Kantankalon: A glimpse of the Greek countryside. Did Olympia and museum. Ate on our own which was fun. Spending more time in the village could have been fun.
Florence: been before but got more out of it because of guides. Also, straight into the Uffizzi. worth the price alone. No time to explore other sites like Ponte Vecchio, L'Accademia. barely time to shop.

Hope this helps a little.

Carnival Freedom/4-2007

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Passenger

Thank you so much for all the information.