Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Anyone cruise the "Fantasy" out of New Orleans?

My PVP said this would be the ship we would be cruising on since we are going out of NO. Anyone have any imput on this ship good or bad. Tips ect...

Danielle
Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:08 PM
First Mate

We regularly cruise out of NO and our last cruise was on the Fantasy, this past February. I loved the ship, in a lot of ways, better than the Conquest, (four cruises on it). The ship's laid out well and you have no problem navagating around. If you're driving in, the new parking garage is great. Pay, drop your luggage and park. Easy as pie.

You'll have a great time. The trip down the Mississippi River is an excursion in itself. Lots to gawk at, etc.

We liked the new cruise port in Costa Maya. It was our first trip there. Was built just for cruise ships. The shopping there is a little higher than in Cozumel, so save you money for Coz. Also, check the prices on the ship for some things.. They are sometimes cheaper or the same as the bargaining price you'd pay onshore.

Lots to eat onboard and always something going on. Just read the dailly newsletter you receive each evening and decide what activities you might be interested in the next day. Or, maybe just do your own thing by hanging out on deck and wondering what the folks back home are doing.
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Hope its good! I"m booked twice on her this coming year! Just wish MORE carnival lines would take out of N.O!!!
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

I ran into a lady who was just off the Fantasy...........she loved it, with only one complaint...........the buffet didn't last long enough! And it wasn't her first cruise either.....She had been on several, the most recent being the Conquest.

Melody
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

The wife and i are booked on the Fantasy for Sept. 22. I'm thinking very seriously about booking a back- to - back cruise on her.

For those that have done back -2- backs, What happens on debarkation day Do you go to a special place, and wait I feel sure that you would have to go back through checkin , and get a new sail & sign card and ect.

Thanks for your input;
Happy sailing to all ;
David
[/quote]
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to cana57

no but my husband and me had a wonderful trip in October out of Port Canaveral on the Fantasy.

Carnival Imagination 5/4/06
Carnival Fantasy 9/30/06
Carnival Inspiration 5/3/07
Carnival Triumph 10/13/07
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Familiar Face

Default fantasy formal nights

We are considering booking a 5 night cruise on the Fantasy for next Easter week. We are two families and will have children with us (ages 10-13). How many formal nights are there on this cruise and how formal do the children have to be?

Also, I am hoping that there will be things to keep the kiddies busy in addition to the swimming pools.

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Marci
Old May 17th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Beginner

Me and my wife are leaving Saturday on the Fantasy out of New orleans I will post when we return.
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks so much. I hope you have a wonderful time. I can't wait to hear all about it.
Marci
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

I have never cruised on that ship but the port in NO is nice. Not sure how much it has changed though post Katrina.
Have fun.
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 19th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hey where do we get on this ship from? Riverwalk? Just curious I forgot to ask the TA about that part, lol..

Danielle
Old May 19th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Familiar Face

Default hotels

Does anyone have a suggestion for a hotel for the night before we set sail on the Fantasy? The French Quarter looks interesting, but is it too far away? I know we can get anywhere by cab, but would the cost be too much?

I don't know the city at all and the maps I've found don't show where the cruise ships dock.
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Admiral

We sailed on the Fantasy in December and March and are headed out again in August.

Personally, Spirit class ships are my first choice, but the Fantasy class comes in a close second.

We found the staff, service and food to be good. I don't do the buffet, so I can't comment on that. The ship is well maintained.

The only down side (but obviously not "down" enough to stop us from booking it again) was more a problem with the guests than the ship.

Repeatedly people were ignoring the designated smoking areas..walking from venue to venue (which they are not suppose to do) and smoking in places like The Forum (which is suppose to be totally nonsmoking). Unforutnately, there is no way to predict the quality of cruiser you are going to get on a ship. In the smoker's defense, Canrival needs to have their ships marked clearer. When people are on vacation (and alcohol is around) tiny paper "no smoking" signs on a table is not going to cut it.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old June 25th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Captain

Default Fantasy

We cruised the Fantasy from Port Canaveral to Bahamas in 2004 and liked the ship. We have booked a family cruise for the Fantasy out of New Orleans April 14 2008 (15 of us in 5 cabins). This is our second family cruise and we are gifting our children the cruise as Christmas gifts this year because we had so much fun on our last one in 2006.

To keep everyone's cool, we tell them that everyone is in on their own during the day and what we plan to do in port. We then just ask that everyone meet for dinner in the dining room each night and try to get a show or two in together or the Karaoke bar. Everyone needs there own space and time to do what they want to do to have a good time.

We sailed on the Sensation on the last trip out fo NO the Saturday before Katrina and were wondering about the cruise terminal and parking there. Has is changed much? On that cruise, my husband let me out with the luggage at the terminal and went to park in the garage and took a shuttle back. We will have 2 - 3 vehicles this trip and want to know if they are still doing the same type of drop off and parking.

Also wondering who is the current CD on the Fantasy and which shows they are performing at this time. We know that the Celebration, and The Holiday are doing the same shows now that they were doing May of 2006. Does anyone know how often these shows change?

Also, one reason we booked the Fantasy over the Holiday is that it is Spring Break in Mobile and Baldwin County that week and we felt that there would be a ton of children on board. Does anyone know what the spring break schedule for NO will be next year?
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old June 25th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are going on 4/19, you will clear spring break. Easter is 3/23/08 and spring break is normally the week after that so you should be fine.

Danielle
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchn the sun bake
Me and my wife are leaving Saturday on the Fantasy out of New orleans I will post when we return.
Oh, I hope you have a lot of fun! Could you please post the cabin numbers for all the laundry rooms (Upper/Empress Deck) and let us know about the shows. I keep seeing some of the same shows on recent cruises, but different ships. I am referring to the big shows with the ship dancers/singers. Also, wondering who the CD is on the Fantasy now.

Thanks and happy cruisin.
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

We just got back June 16th. There was 8 adults and 3 children ages 4yrs , 7yrs and 11yrs. I don't have anything to caompare it to it was our first cruise. That being said we are looking forward to booking another one for next summer........
I was kind of worried when we were going thru check in the line looked like we would be there for a while. But it moved fast and we was on the ship in no time.
We went right to the lido deck and ate lunch.
As for the bath rooms I had been told they were really small so I was ready for that. They were not as bad as I thought they would be. We had a inside cabin and there was plenty of room in the bath room. The only thing I said was it didn't seem to have much light when you were in the shower.
Like I said this was our first but we all enjoyed it there was always plenty for us to do. We wouldn't mind going back to Cozumel but we were not crazy about Costa Maya.
I think we are going to check in to going out of Mobile Al. next summer.

June 2007 Fantasy
December 2008 Fantasy
Old June 26th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Marysed, Glad you guys had a good time. I have never cruised either and Fantasy will be my first cruise as well, but I have to wait till next year. Anyways what did you guys do in Cozumel and Costa Maya, why didnt you like CM to much? Did yall go and see the ruins there? How about the ship, was it really crowded? Is everywhere on the ship crowded like when you would go to a popular resteruant ya know how they are always croweded. Is it like that on the ship everywhere? What decks are all the action on? 10 & 11? I ask b/c we have a balcony suite booked and I was wondering how far away I will be from the action, lol... We are on 11.

Thanks,
Danielle
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

DBXX,
In Costa Maya we just went shopping(save your money for Cozumel). It didn't take to long to go thru the shops.
When you get there you see a swim up Bar. One end is where the kids swim and the other end is the swim up bar. We let the guys and kids swim. They had lounge chairs so we sat there and watched. We began to notice no matter how much the people at the bar drank they never had to get out to go to the rest room.
While I am talking about rest rooms you will want to take your own toilet paper. I went in to a bathroom with my husbands niece. There was none they were not just out they didn't keep any in there.
Some of the guys went to use a bathroom some where in Cozumel and they was charged $1.00 and given a few squares.
While we was in Cozumel we went snorkeling and that was SO MUCH FUN...
After that we went back to the ship changed clothes. Then went back got in a cab had them take us all the way to the other end of the shopping strip. They so may shops there we didn't get thru them all.
There is one shop you go up stairs in a tiny little shop every thing is a dollar. My 11 yr old did alot of his shopping there.

Now for the ship. The first day when we got on and went to eat it was kind of buisy. But that is because they couldn't go any where else. After people could get in their cabins it wasn't bad at all.
We used the stairs alot the elevaters some times you had to wait on.

You just will not believe how big the ship is when you see it.
I have some pics if you want I could send some.

June 2007 Fantasy
December 2008 Fantasy
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks so much, yes I would love to see your pics. Here is my email addy:

DBX74@aol.com

Thanks alot for the tips.

Danielle