Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:12 PM
First Mate

Default DESTINY SHIP

Hello IBCRUZIN,

First off, I want to thank you for sticking up for the New Yorkers. I saw the post that the guy wrote putting New York down. I was all ready to put my 2 cents in, but you did a good job sticking up for us New Yorkers. Oh, by the way I am from Queens, New York.

Ok, the real reason I am writing to you or anybody else is to ask you about the DESTINY Ship. I see that you went in October of last year. My family and I are going in July on the DESTINY, and can use any tips or suggestions. Does the slide go directly into the pool. I read somewhere that it doesn't. Any suggestions about the ship would be greatly appreciated.

Tweetybird
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: DESTINY SHIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird
Hello IBCRUZIN,

First off, I want to thank you for sticking up for the New Yorkers. I saw the post that the guy wrote putting New York down. I was all ready to put my 2 cents in, but you did a good job sticking up for us New Yorkers. Oh, by the way I am from Queens, New York.

Ok, the real reason I am writing to you or anybody else is to ask you about the DESTINY Ship. I see that you went in October of last year. My family and I are going in July on the DESTINY, and can use any tips or suggestions. Does the slide go directly into the pool. I read somewhere that it doesn't. Any suggestions about the ship would be greatly appreciated.

Tweetybird
You are welcome. The post that mentioned NYC was an inadvertent dig on the city. I knew that and I jumped in to change the direction of the conversation. He didn't mean to insult anyone.

The slide on the Destiny does not go into the same pool area that people are swimming around in. I think it goes into a small "water area" about 2 feet deep. It is not a pool but just a landing area for the slide. I think. I didn't do the slide on the Destiny.

About the Destiny

The Destiny is a bit different from other Carnival cruises in many ways. It is probably the most port intensive cruise they run b/c I believe there are no "at sea" days. It is port after port after port. I love that because I want to see as many islands as I can for my money. However, all of those ports can get tiring and by the 4 or 5 one, they tend to blend together. Our last stop was Aruba but I couldn't tell you much about Aruba b/c by the time we go there, (1) I was exhausted from late late nights and early mornings, (2) all the beaches started to look alike, (3) Didn't do too much on Aruba, just 'cause.

Another way that Destiny is different is that it leaves from San Juan, Puerto Rico. Therefore, the beat on the ship is more of a Latin beat and less of a Caribbean beat. There is salsa music every night in the lounge rather than have comedians or big band/jazz music playing. It is not unusual for the Guest Talent show to be bilingual. There is a good portion of latin music played on the Lido Deck and everywhere else on the ship.

The ship is an older ship but is pretty huge. Some past passengers have complained about the a/c not being cool enough but I didn't have that problem. If you are so inclined, you can walk the halls, look for and find small, insignificant stains on the carpet -- but, you really have to look

The food is the same as all the other Carnival Ships.

Barbardos beaches are to die for. I went to Boatyard Beach and spent the day. There are all sorts of water toys to rent and some to use for free. There are people selling glass bottom boat rides, there are restaurants on the beach where you can order lunch, chairs and umbrellas to rent, all kinds of stuff. The water, the water, the water was the clearest water I have ever seen (and I have seen a lot of beaches). Oh the water was so clear that as I stood in water up to my neck, I bent my head and my shades fell off of the top of my head. I looked down and I could see my shades on the ground in 5 feet of water as sharp and clear as can be. The water was as clear as bathtub water. The sand was softer than soft. No shells, cig butts, rocks, weeds, twigs, nothing but soft, soft, powder sand.

Dominica is the gem in the rough. Totally uncommericalized. People say that Dominica is poor. I didn't see them as so much poor as just people that did not have a lot of unnecessary stuff. It is a little slice of Hawaii sitting in the middle of the caribbean with its mountains and waterfalls and curvy narrow mountain road. That island and Barbados are neck to neck for IBCruzin's Favorite Carib Island.

Back to the ship. Go enjoy and don't read too many reviews, especially the negative ones. They tend to paint a picture for you that you can easily live without.

I had a good time on the Destiny and will be back on her September 2008.

Good luck and Happy Cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Yeoman

Now that's interesting, I had no idea they had gone to such a port intensive itinerary.
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvabill
Now that's interesting, I had no idea they had gone to such a port intensive itinerary.
Yeah, it is wonderful but also exhausting.

They go to st thomas, antigua, st. lucia, barbados, dominica,

Oops, my bad They have one sea day at the end of the cruise. Before that it is "Port-a-Day"

Wonderful itinerary. For my personal taste, I am willing to pay twice as much to leave from Florida.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvabill
Yeah, it is wonderful but also exhausting.

They go to st thomas, antigua, st. lucia, barbados, dominica,

Oops, my bad They have one sea day at the end of the cruise. Before that it is "Port-a-Day"

Wonderful itinerary. For my personal taste, I am willing to pay twice as much to leave from Florida.
I cruised her back in 2003 out of San Juan, we had 4 ports, 1 sea day, Aruba, 1 sea day and then back home, it was exhausting.
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:44 PM
First Mate

IBCRUZIN,

Thank you so much for all of the helpful information. You just answered my daughters question about the slide. She said she is definetly going on the slide. I know that this cruise is an intensive cruise, but that is what we like also. That is why we love cruises so much, you get to go to different islands without packing and unpacking. It does sound like a tiring cruise, but that is what vacation is all about, to have fun. About the carpet stain, who really cares, we are there to have fun, not look at carpet stains. There is bound to be stains, with all the people walking on it.

We cannot wait to go to Barbados, it sounds so wonderful. Did you ever take the island tour or you just went to the beach?

So what you are saying, is that there are no comedians on the ship, just latin music. I didn't quite understand that. What about the midnight comedian?

Well, again thanks for all the helpful information and if I think of anymore questions, I will certainly ask.

Tweetybird
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
IBCRUZIN,

Thank you so much for all of the helpful information. You just answered my daughters question about the slide. She said she is definetly going on the slide. I know that this cruise is an intensive cruise, but that is what we like also. That is why we love cruises so much, you get to go to different islands without packing and unpacking. It does sound like a tiring cruise, but that is what vacation is all about, to have fun. About the carpet stain, who really cares, we are there to have fun, not look at carpet stains. There is bound to be stains, with all the people walking on it.

We cannot wait to go to Barbados, it sounds so wonderful. Did you ever take the island tour or you just went to the beach?

So what you are saying, is that there are no comedians on the ship, just latin music. I didn't quite understand that. What about the midnight comedian?

Well, again thanks for all the helpful information and if I think of anymore questions, I will certainly ask.

Tweetybird
In Barbados, we had a cabbie drive us around the island for a couple of hours and then drop us off at Boatyard Beach. At the beach in the water is a climbing inflated triangle, a trampoline, a swinging rope. If you can't swim, they put a lifevest on you and put you in a little canoe and row you out to the inflated water toys so even the non swimmers get to play.

As far as the ship is concerned, normally at night the dance club (disco) is going full blast, the karaoke is pumping, the piano bar is singing and there is usually a band in the lounge (not theater) playing big band music. That is where the more mature set usually go to waltz, tango, lindy hop or whatever it is that they do. However, on the Destiny in the lounge every night was salsa music. The midnight comedians were in the theater late nights.

Also, there is more salsa played in the dance club and on the lido deck than you would normally hear.

From what I understand, most residents of Puerto Rico are bi-lingual. However, on the Destiny you will run into groups of passengers who will only speak spanish for whatever reason. If by chance you are seated at a table with spanish speaking passengers and you do not speak spanish, just have the matri d change your table as soon as you get there. He/she can tell by the last names which tables are hispanic and which tables are not. No big deal.

Also, in my experience in NYC, the Hispanic/Latin community is very very family-orientated and somewhat clannish. Therefore on the Destiny you will find groups that seem to be unfriendly or standoffish. They are not. They are just very much used to being with their family group and do not mean anything by it. Will that affect your cruise? Absolutely not. Will you learn a few words of Spanish? But for sure.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:15 PM
First Mate

IBCRUZIN, My family and I have no problem with that. Coming from New York, there is a lot of spanish speaking people around and that is not a problem at all. The only problem would be we might not understand them, but maybe we can pick up a few words here and there.

I just want to thank you so much for all of the helpful information. I hope you don't mind me asking so many questions.

Tweetybird
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
IBCRUZIN, My family and I have no problem with that. Coming from New York, there is a lot of spanish speaking people around and that is not a problem at all. The only problem would be we might not understand them, but maybe we can pick up a few words here and there.

I just want to thank you so much for all of the helpful information. I hope you don't mind me asking so many questions.

Tweetybird
Not at all. Ask away

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes