Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2007, 09:09 PM
First Mate

Default Please Suggest a Good Place to Buy a Prescription Dive Mask

Does anyone have a good place they can recommend to buy a prescription dive mask? I really don't want to spend a fortune, but need it since my sons eyes are so bad. t will most likely only be used once, but I want him to enjoy his snorkeling experience.

Please don't suggest that he does not need it because the water will magnify it. His prescription is a -10.

Thanks,

Brian

Sensation
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Admiral

I got my prescription mask at Divers Direct in Orlando. I hope that the moderators will let their website remain:

www.diversdirect.com

Or, if not, you can google and get their website.

The prescription mask allows me to enjoy snorkeling like I never could as I my eyesight is terrible. Definitely spend the money and get a good prescription mask. While there, I also recommend getting good fins and a dry snorkel; all well worth the expense.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Admiral

Snorkel-Mart sells relatively inexpensive prescription masks, but you want to make sure you get something that fits his face as well as his eyes. If he can see but the mask leaks, it won't be the experience you are looking for.

Also, if he has never snorkeled before, perhaps try getting used to breathing through a snorkel in a pool or even a tub before you go.
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:59 AM
First Mate

We snorkeled before at Discovery Cove (Which I recommend to everyone). They supplied as part of the cost free use of a prescription mask.

What is the best way to determine if they fit his face if you buy online?

Thanks,

Brian

Sensation
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Admiral

The best way would would be to visit local dive shops and try the masks on before you buy. They don't come in a variety of actual sizes - your basic choice is for small, medium or large face, or some combination. Within those, however, some might fit better or feel better.

Once you find something that works, you can then price shop for that particular model.

Masks with non-standard size/shape (not referring to prescription here) lenses will be more expensive.

-10 is available, but may not be in stock either in a physical or internet store, so find out what the the delivery time will be.

For optimum results, don't wait until the last minute to start looking.

You might also contact Discovery Cove to see if they know what make/model they might have supplied to your son. They probably don't offer that many choices.
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:35 PM
First Mate

I got a really nice prescription mask, snorkel, and case from snorkel mart for $81.

Good deal.

Brian

Sensation