Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default How dressy is formal night?

Do I have to wear a full length gown or can I wear a nice sun dress with heals or maybe dress pants with a dress shirt, something you would wear to work at an office maybe? Or is a full gown required? For the guys is slacks with a blazer OK? Or does it need to be a suit?

Thanks again,
Danielle
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:16 AM
First Mate

Default Re: How dressy is formal night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBXX
Do I have to wear a full length gown or can I wear a nice sun dress with heals or maybe dress pants with a dress shirt, something you would wear to work at an office maybe? Or is a full gown required? For the guys is slacks with a blazer OK? Or does it need to be a suit?

Thanks again,
Danielle
Danielle -

I have seen everything from a blazer with open shirt to a tuxedo (which is what I wear).

I see no reason why what you propose (nice sun dress with heels for you and blazer/slacks for him) would be unacceptable.

Enjoy.

Jon
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Beginner

I am going on a 5 night cruise. I have a suit do I need a tie or not with it? Also on the other 4 nights is kahki pants and a polo shirt or dress shirt ok. what about tucking in the shirt I don't normaly tuck in my shirt.
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Beginner

Default Re: How dressy is formal night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBXX

Thanks again,
Danielle
Last week on the Victory there were several people that showed up on formal night wearing tee shirts and shorts
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

And the people with Tshirts and shorts were seated without any issues? I wouldnt go that far for sure, lol... I just wanted to know how dressy it needed to be, but I guess that says it all if they wore shorts, lol.... My group doesnt dress very dressy and I would hate to see them all have to go out and buy a new outfit they will never wear again. But then again I dont want anyone to feel uncomfortable with what they chose to wear. So I guess it is safe to stay in the middle, maybe wear somthing that we would normally wear to a wedding maybe?

Thanks

Danielle
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Dress to the 9's. Get into the atmosphere of cruising. To me that is part of the whole experience. IMO. 8) I say jump sharp.
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

I wear dress pants with a 2 button polo shirt on casual nights and a shirt with tie on the other 2 nights. Many are in suites but I didn't stick out....... On past cruises I have worn a suit but it isn't worth packing it...
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:31 PM
First Mate

The truth is really you can dress completely to the 9's or just wear a semi-formal outfit and be fine. Noone is going to call you out if you don't dress up. Its your vacation. Wear what you want and enjoy yourself!
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I can say from my perspecitive about formal night is it is what you want it to be. You can wear your best cocktail dress, or do what I did, my dressiest clothes for work--a pair of pants and two blouses. Many wore a nice dress (like to a fine restaurant), while others wore casual clothes. One couple we met didn't bring anything vaguely dressy at all. They brought clothes that they would wear to a decent restaurant and left it at that.

I say, make it what you want, they won't turn you away and if you are happy, everything is groovy.
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:16 AM
First Mate

I have my eye on a gorgeous full length dress that I would love to have, but it is a bit steep and I don't want to pay that much money for something that isn't really necessary.

I hear "formal night" and I think formal clothes - not cocktail dresses. But if a cocktail dress is perfectly acceptable on formal nights, and nice, dressy clothes are okay for the rest of the nights, then I probably won't splurge on a long gown.

Everyone says to not overpack, but the clothes list is getting pretty long!

To save space I can see people wearing the same slacks or skirt more than once, but do most people go to their room and change after dinner if they are going dancing/whatever after dinner? I don't want to wear smoky/dirty clothes, and right now I am thinking that I am going to need a seperate outfit for each day!
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Passenger

Black dressy pants and sparkly tops work well.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:28 PM
Passenger

Ah my favorite topic.

For me formal night is just that : formal.

To me that means I wear a tux to others it means a suit and tie . I cannot imagine it meaning any less than that. My wife wears a nice dress, not a gown so much but she has some gorgeous dresses.

I love hearing about people who not only refuse to dress up for formal night but then also make it a point to exclaim it is their vacation they will dress however they want . I find that odd , I mean they book a cruise they know it has a formal night yet they still get upset when they find that the attire for main dining rooms that evening is formal . That would be like going into McDonalds knowing it is a fast food , self serve reataurant , but sitting at a table and expecting a waiter to show up.

If you want to be waited on don't go to McDonalds, If you don't want to dress up on one (or two nights) of your vacation select a different dining option.

Interestingly enough, i really don't get worked up about this while on the cruise .....just when i read about people complaining about it . And I am NOT saying anyone is complaining about it here. This post just got me thinking about it.

Heck , I complained about the snorkeling on one cruise.....i mean I really wanted to go on the excursion , but they required me to actually get in the water !!! the nerve ! It was my vacation and was going to snorkel however i darn well pleased.

The cruise is your vacation, just as it is the vacation for the other 2,000 inhabitants of your floating city..... respect others and have fun.

Ladies , You won't need a prom gown. A nice dress will fit the bill. For the guys nice slacks and a shirt , formal nights throw on a tie. Or try a tux , chicks dig it
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I guess I'm a Semi Snob, Black Suit and Tie while DW wears dark gown. But that's just us. It's kinda fun to dress up once in a while.

T
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:30 AM
First Mate

I bought my own tux after our first cruise. I figure I'll wear it twice on each cruise, then several more times at my various kids weddings over the next decade or so.

That's probably more use than I get out of a suit...since I never wear those.