Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Beginner

Default Need advices on shore excursions @calica - Inspiration 7/21

Will go on Inspiration 7.21.07 with my gf, kids, and mom. Would like to go see one of the Mayan sites. Any advices on where to book the tour is better and/or cheaper - from cruise or on shore and which site to go, will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Yeoman

The ruins are pretty far from Calica's port so you may want to book with the ship just to make sure you don't get delayed and left behind

We did the Tulum ruins and it was beautiful, there is a beach you can swim at right there too. The only disappointment was the fact you could not enter any of the ruins. Maybe someone else knows of any others around that area. Carla
Old May 15th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Just take a short cab ride to the Omni Resort at Puerto Aventuras. Good food, great service, wonderful beach and pool. Lovely boutiques, dolphins, dive shop. It's a terrific way to spend a day and its very inexpensive. They charge you nothing and simply ask that you purchase your food and drink with them during your visit. You can rent snorkel equipment at the dive shop and they were nice enough to allow us to store our valuables in one of their lockers. No one tried to sell us anything or braid our hair. It was a great day.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:04 PM
First Mate

I think Tulum is the only ruins within reach of Calica. It is very beautiful, but the ground is rocky and may not be easy walking for everyone.

The Xel-Ha and XCaret eco parks are absolutely beautiful, and XCaret is right next to Calica...highly recommended for kids. We did Xel-Ha, which is a bit farther away but a bit cheaper too...
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Beginner

Many thanks, Carla, beenie, and Dana.

Dana, hope you check back on this message. When you went to Xel Ha, did you pay the all inclusive fee or just the entrance fee. If you just pay entrance fee, do they charge everything you do inside, like snorkeling, hammock, locker and such? Thanks again.
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:14 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Dana, hope you check back on this message. When you went to Xel Ha, did you pay the all inclusive fee or just the entrance fee. If you just pay entrance fee, do they charge everything you do inside, like snorkeling, hammock, locker and such? Thanks again.
As I remember, we just paid the regular entrance fee. We had our own snorkel gear, and didn't use a hammock...I think the hammocks are free anyhow. We did get a couple of lockers, and shared quesadillas for lunch. They charge for drinks/food, but I think the only activity they charge for is the dolphin swim.
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Beginner

We're on the same cruise with you. We're planning to go with a tour operator called "Edventures". He came very highly recommended on another cruise forum. His offices are very close to Tulum. They'll pick up at the pier and take you there, then off to snorkeling in several places. IF you'd like more information, let me know. We're actually looking for someone else to go with my wife and I to split the transportation costs. If you're interested, let me know.
Maestro
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Captain

Tulum is great, but it's a long ride with kids and takes most the day. Playa del Carmen is a short drive from Calica and has a drop-dead gorgeous beach if yah don't wanna spend a ton on excursions.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009