Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Passenger

Default Safety in West Caribbean ports ?

My wife and I will be on the 7 day Carnival Cruise to Cozumel, jamaica and grand caymans.Hearing all the stories of kipnappings in mexico, does anyone feel unsafe in any of the ports ? Places to avoid ?
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Passenger

Just use your head. Stay to the well traveled areas and if it looks bad don't go there. Don't make yourself a target, leave the flashy jewels and designer clothes at home.

Just like any US city there are good areas and bad, I've been all over the carib and not had a problem.
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

Ktbone is correct. Stay away from areas that look unsafe. Also, try to stay in a group. In Cozumel and Grand Cayman you won't have any problems on the regular path but in Jamica I was always very very cautious. Use good judgement, stay in a group and you will be fine.
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Passenger

Default Safety in West Caribbean ports ?

Thanks, will do.
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Admiral

You are welcome........
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:30 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Safety in West Caribbean ports ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob6465
My wife and I will be on the 7 day Carnival Cruise to Cozumel, jamaica and grand caymans.Hearing all the stories of kipnappings in mexico, does anyone feel unsafe in any of the ports ? Places to avoid ?
Rob -

Sounds like you are repeating my first cruise.

Cozumel was no problem - my wife and I enjoyed the Mayan Ruins at Tulum tour, then got some shopping in Cozumel before the ship left.

Grand Cayman is, IMO, the safest place in the Caribbean. So safe, I felt comfortable sending my wife off by herself while I went to play golf.

Ocho Rios, OTOH, can be a bit much if you are not prepared for it - remember, these people make their livings off the tourists, so be prepared to be approached.

All in all, my advise is twofold:

1. Attend the port lectures and listen to what the Cruise Director tells you about these ports. The last thing that Carnival wants is its passengers finding their way into bad situations.

2. Travel in groups - there is safety in numbers.

Good luck and enjoy

Jon
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Cozumel-stay in your groups!!!

Grand Cayman--no worries there, very safe and clean

Ocho Rios Jamaica-the beauty of Ocho Rios is when you get on/off the bus you are in a gated area and if you want to go do some shopping you don't have to walk too far. Island Village shopping is about a block walk up the street from where they pick up/drop off for tours. It took under 10 minutes to walk from the end of the pier to Island Village. Yes, the cab drivers will ask you if you want to go somewhere, but if you are polite they leave you alone. When we went in and left Island Village we were asked if we needed a cab and politely said no we'll walk back to the ship. The police/security in the area of the port and shopping is quite good, they make sure the passengers are not harrassed.
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Passenger

Default need help

HELP!!!!!
Can any one give ne some insight on calico mexico..(guess spelled right)
Leaving Ala to Coz and then on to calico.. please help me out on shopping, things to do there...

thank.
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Admiral

In Jamaica don't wander around by yourself (especially in Kingston) and use the same common sense that you would use in major metro areas in the U.S.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:45 PM
First Mate

Default Western carribbean

does anybody have any comments on safety and othet things about Belieze, or Costa Maya?
Bob
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:51 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Western carribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam
does anybody have any comments on safety and othet things about Belieze, or Costa Maya?
Bob
Never been to Belize, although I have had staff members tell me that they have enjoyed the port. If I ever make it there, I have to visit the family of one of our staff members.

As for Costa Maya, we were there on the Liberty in January. Basically, nothing there - small shopping center and that basically is it. Unless you are taking an excursion, its not worth getting off of the ship.
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSFP
Quote:
Bob
Never been to Belize, although I have had staff members tell me that they have enjoyed the port. If I ever make it there, I have to visit the family of one of our staff members.

As for Costa Maya, we were there on the Liberty in January. Basically, nothing there - small shopping center and that basically is it. Unless you are taking an excursion, its not worth getting off of the ship.
I was at both last month.
Costa Maya is the best port I have ever been to. There is a little fishing village about a 3 minute taxi ride south of the port that is great. As far as Belieze, well that is the place I would stay on the ship unless I booked an excursion.... Been to Costa Maya a couple times and cabn't wait to go again.
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:02 AM
Passenger

I'm right there with ya Lou!!

Costa Maya is great, even the little shopping village at the end of the pier is worth checking out. We just lounged on the beach right there and went for a swim in the pool. The lobster encillata <sp?> is fantastic.

Belize is a very poor country and Belize City is the most populated area; thus it has the highest crime rate. Book an excursion here, or just visit the shops and the Wet Lizard. Our tour guide, Joyce, was great!! She even had the bus go thru some of the different nieghborhoods so we could get a better impression of the country. Amazing place but I would not want to wander around alone or without a guide.
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Just returned from Costa Maya and Belize. You are fine if you stay in the shopping villages created for cruise tourist. Belize city is very much a third world city outside the port area. There is no need to venture out into the city itself since there isn't much to see or do. Take a shore excursion if you wish to see the country. I did twice and saw plenty of the "real" Central America from the bus window.
Costa Maya is a lovely shopping and bar/restaurant area and nothing else. It is very much worth a look-see, IMHO. 8) There are armed security guards around so safety shouldn't be an issue. Again... like Belize, if one wishes to see the country, take a shore excursion.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:38 AM
Passenger

I just got back last week from Grand Cayman and Calica (we took a 5 min cab ride to Playa Del Carmen),both places we felt as safe as one could expect. Loved it.Grand Cayman,the people are wonderful,I could listen to them all day-they practically have no poverty on that Island and very little crime rate.Not to mention the Sting Rays are puppy dogs
Playa Del Carmen is fantastic!!! The policia carry machine guns so its all good.We didnt want to come home. Shopping,places to eat,bars etc run parallel to the beach,only a block away.Many speak english,but always ask the price before you do anything,,,drinks taxis,etc! Viva Mexico!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Grand Cayman I felt super safe and everyone was so nice and willing to help. The uys driving the tender boat over even feed the fish so I could see all the amber jacks. My boyfriend played golf and I stayed in the cart and tried to avoid the iguana's!!! It was a great time. Don't miss Senor Frogs!

Ocho Rios- we took a taxi with a bunch of people from the ship and climbed Dunn's River Falls. That was fine but some guy was taking picutes of us while we were there and then waited for my fiance to walk away to the locker while I packed our bag and demanded money for the pictures. We literaly didn't take cash and I think I had 7 dollars or something and he wouldn't take no for an answer! I finally gave him the money and then on our way out a guy pulled my fiance away to sell him pot and his wife pulled me into a hut to sell me a braclet or necklace. It was crazy. We made it back to the taxi and they took us to Margaritaville. We felt safer there and had a great time on the slides! Also bought a ticket for the trampoline in the ocean. the guys and women wanting us to buy stuff followed us out to the trampoline and it is a pretty good swim. We finally bought something from them and got a great deal! 4 necklaces for 10 dollars. You just have to be very aware and careful. We onnly used our CC at Margaritaville and Senor Frogs. Everywhere else is cash only.

Carnival Valor November 2008
Carnival Fascination February 2008
Carnival Glory September 2007
Carnival Imagination September 2006
Carnival Fascination May 2005
Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas May 2001
Carnnival Ecstasy May 2000
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:59 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Bob

Hi Bob,

Belize city can be dangerous its third world etc, but take an excursion to snorkel its the best snorkelling I have done and I have also been to Grand Cayman, Cozemel and Bahamas, get them to take you to the island of Caulker Caye its lovely no cars also they have a huge natural reef get snorkelling we saw huge rays, nurse sharks, manatees and loads of fish.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Safety in West Caribbean ports ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob6465
Hi Rob, you and your DW will be fine. The ship won't sail to a "dangerous" port. Of course, you should use your common sense, just like you would in any strange place.

I'd suggest a ship's tour in Jamaica unless you're just going to shop at the Island Village (Margaritaville is there ). You'll probably be offered "Ganja", but just say "NO THANKS"! (BTW, if anyone is interested in saying "THANKS" be aware that many of the "sellers" are in "cahoots" with the police. As soon as they sell to you, they'll report it ! A really bad idea!)

Learn to say "NO THANKS" and you'll be left alone !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014