Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:56 AM
First Mate

Default carry-on vs suitcase - what sundries can we buy onboard?

I'm torn between having my son and I each bring a carry on and a backpack or just keeping it to one carry on and a suitcase. Because of air restrictions I hate the thought of only bringing one travel shampoo each as that will not last for the 6 days total that we'll be gone (4-day cruise plus a day before and day after spent in Orlando). On Sensation do they provide shampoo and conditioner? We also have a 1/5 hour layover between flights both flight days and lugging things around the airport terminal while we endeavor to eat between flights is something I'd rather not do. For those who have managed to fly to a port to cruise and only used carry-ons, what are your suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:41 PM
First Mate

I am staying in Orlando the day before.

I am planning on buying stuff when I get there at the local Walmart. Shampoo, soap, some soda etc. Before I get on the plane home I will toss what is left. I might even buy a cheap disposable cooler.

I can't see lugging all that down from NY.

Brian

Sensation
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Admiral

I'm traveling in a couple of weeks and I've been thinking about this very subject. I hate checking luggage. I'm on a short trip so I don't have much but with the new restrictions I can't take liquids on the plane. Hmmm You've given me some ideas. Thanks..

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:15 PM
First Mate

I'm also arriving in Orlando the night before and taking a shuttle straight frm the airport to a nearbvy hotel. I won't have time or a car to find a Wal-Mart at 10:00 at night. I guess I can buy conditioner on board the ship. Does anyone know how much it is? I can easily use the shower soap for shampoo but I MUST have real conditioner.
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Admiral

All the newer Carnival ships have liquid soap, and shampoo/conditioner combination in the shower, plus a basket full of "goodies" in the bathroom that are free. (everything from razors to shaving creme to zantac 75) I don't know if the older ships have all this stuff or not, but I'm fairly sure that even if they don't, you'll be able to buy them in the ships store. Have a great cruise, and let us know what you thought about your first cruise when you get home.

Ken
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:53 PM
First Mate

thanks, I dont' mind paying what I know will be more $$ onboard, I'd really prefer to travel not having to wait for checked luggage and also would love to be able to just self-debark after the cruise ends.

Also, whatever shampoo, etc. I don't use I'll probably just leave in the room for the next person to use!
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellet1959
thanks, I dont' mind paying what I know will be more $$ onboard, I'd really prefer to travel not having to wait for checked luggage and also would love to be able to just self-debark after the cruise ends.

Also, whatever shampoo, etc. I don't use I'll probably just leave in the room for the next person to use!
there is a very limited selection of products in the sundry store on board. you may be disappointed in the choices you have, if you have a choice at all.

As for leaving it behind, it will get tossed when the steward cleans the cabin.

For what it is worth, I collect the small trial/travel size of products thorughout the year and use those during my cruise. Two trial/travel size of body lotion or shampoo take up less space than a full-sized bottle of either. This way, if you use all of one bottle, you can just chug it.

Personal care stores like Bath & Body Works alway has great quality products in the small trial/travel size.

Or you can just purchase the one or two items you must have and pack it. I don't know if depending on the ship to carry the items you want is a good idea. Plus, their products are prohibitively expensive.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Admiral

In February the airport security grilled me over my mascara.. you know how tiny those are.. I couldn't believe it.

Old May 16th, 2007, 03:55 PM
First Mate

I guess I'll have to stock up on travel sizes and pack the 1-qt ziploc as directed by the airlines. one for me and one for my son's carryon shouild get us through.

I can't believe they hassled you about mascara!!!
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Admiral

The security lady said they were tossing all liquids regardless of size. My response was.. Thats not liquid.. its PASTE. HAHAHAHA Have you every tired to push anything into or out of a mascara tube.. its just not possible.

Old May 16th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina
The security lady said they were tossing all liquids regardless of size..
This must have been before they modified the "liquid" policy.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Passenger

hi
we had shampoos and body soap dispensers in both Victory and Miracle. Samples basket had lotion and razors-but not other necessities.Sundries were available in ship store-but not a big selection..
rest of stuff we brought with us-BUT-we did not have to deal with air travel..
janette
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:06 PM
First Mate

Quote:
I'm also arriving in Orlando the night before and taking a shuttle straight frm the airport to a nearbvy hotel. I won't have time or a car to find a Wal-Mart at 10:00 at night. I guess I can buy conditioner on board the ship. Does anyone know how much it is? I can easily use the shower soap for shampoo but I MUST have real conditioner.
Just curious - what are you paying for the shuttles?

I am getting a car for $253 for 8 days. It will cost me a little more because I will have to pay to park it. I want to do that so I can get to Disney as early as possible the day I get off the boat. I figure there might be lines at Hertz. I am not sure if the Port has Gold service.

I also want to go to Downtown Disney the night I arrive.

This seems like the best deal for me because there are 4 of us.

Thanks,

Brian

Sensation
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:36 PM
First Mate

$35 per person each way, or $140 total - the carnival port shuttle
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Irish Shark - I found this on the TSA.. Maybe my problem was the one quart bag.. I had them in a cosmetic bag. I'm going shopping today for my 3 oz bottles because I hate checking luggage.

Air travelers may now carry liquids, gels and aerosols in their carry-on bag when going through security checkpoints.

With certain exceptions for prescription and over-the-counter medicines, baby formula and breast milk, and other essential liquids, gels, and aerosols, the following rules apply to all liquids, gels, and aerosols you want to carry through a security checkpoint.

All liquids, gels and aerosols must be in three-ounce or smaller containers. Larger containers that are half-full or toothpaste tubes rolled up are not allowed. Each container must be three ounces or smaller.
All liquids, gels and aerosols must be placed in a single, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag. Gallon size bags or bags that are not zip-top such as fold-over sandwich bags are not allowed. Each traveler can use only one, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag.
Each traveler must remove their quart-sized plastic, zip-top bag from their carry-on and place it in a bin or on the conveyor belt for X-ray screening. X-raying separately will allow TSA security officers to more easily examine the declared items.
Please keep in mind that these rules were developed after extensive research and understanding of current threats. They are intended to help air travelers bring essential toiletries and other liquids, gels and aerosols for short trips. If you need larger amounts of liquids, gels and aerosols such as toothpaste or shampoo, please place them in your luggage and check them with your airline.

Here's the link for the entire list: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#1

Old May 17th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Admiral

Boy, am I glad I don't have to get on an airplane to cruise, all the Florida ports are an easy drive for me. As far as purchasing hair products and over-the-counter medicines such as aspirin, Pepto, Tylenol, on the ship, they don't stock a huge assortment, just name brands and they are VERY expensive. And, don't forget film for your camera, another very costly item if purchased onboard.
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:37 PM
First Mate

Yeah, air travel IS a hassle. I want to do carry on so I don't risk having my luggagae lost or destroyed. So I'll be getting 3 oz containers as well, I'm sure. I will do a test pack in June with 2 carry-ons and a backpack for my son and see if it works and if we feel we can lug it all around during our layovers in between flights both flying down from Chicago and flying home.
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Irish Shark - I found this on the TSA.. Maybe my problem was the one quart bag.. I had them in a cosmetic bag. I'm going shopping today for my 3 oz bottles because I hate checking luggage.
Yes, the plastic bag will do it everytime!

I have read that if it is not the "right" bag, TSA will toss it.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:12 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Quote:

I guess it depends on the staff at the airport - when my wife and I flew in January, we actually used gallon bags and they did not say anything.

That having been said, I would suggest you pack what you can in the carry on. As others mentioned, the ship provides body wash and shampoo, so there is not a real need for soap and shampoo. The baskets on board have a multitude of sample sized things and I have found that the room staff are usually willing to get you extra of a particular item if you ask.
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Admiral

The hard part is finding a tiny bottle of contact solution. After that I'm good to go. hahaha

Old May 18th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Beginner

Carolin,
I know Sam's, WalMart, Costco,etc. will have trial size contact lens cleaner in little bottles that they have available for free or a small fee. Check them out.

Craig
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Quote:

Yes, dina, that was your problem. It must be a quart, clear, zipper bag.

If you use a "regular" quart sized bag you'll be fine. At our airport (don't know about others) the security staff walk the lines before security and offer the "approved" bags for free.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:49 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
All the newer Carnival ships have liquid soap, and shampoo/conditioner combination in the shower, plus a basket full of "goodies" in the bathroom that are free. (everything from razors to shaving creme to zantac 75) I don't know if the older ships have all this stuff or not, but I'm fairly sure that even if they don't, you'll be able to buy them in the ships store. Have a great cruise, and let us know what you thought about your first cruise when you get home.

Ken
The Ecstasy had a nice selection, too. So I think it must be ship-wide now.

Rhapsody of the Seas - long ago, in a galaxy far away!
Ecstasy - Jan. 2007
Conquest - Sept. 2007 cruisemates 4Bs
Ecstasy - Jan. 2008
Old May 19th, 2007, 07:29 AM
First Mate

the thing I'm most concerned about finding in travel size is sunblock, but I guess i can put that into some 3 0z containers I can buy. between two carry-ons (one for me, one for my son) we will have two 1-qt ziploc bags. Mine will contain travel sizes of shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, lubriderm, oil of olay, and sunblock. His will contain shampoo, conditioner, and sunblock. Darn it, I'm determined to travel with only my purse and a carryon and my son with a carry on. For a 4-night cruise and 2 nights in a hotel we will wear our clothes twice. I want the convenience of no checked luggage and self-debark ahead of everyone else.
Old May 19th, 2007, 11:46 AM
First Mate

Quote:
the thing I'm most concerned about finding in travel size is sunblock, but I guess i can put that into some 3 0z containers I can buy. between two carry-ons (one for me, one for my son) we will have two 1-qt ziploc bags. Mine will contain travel sizes of shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, lubriderm, oil of olay, and sunblock. His will contain shampoo, conditioner, and sunblock. Darn it, I'm determined to travel with only my purse and a carryon and my son with a carry on. For a 4-night cruise and 2 nights in a hotel we will wear our clothes twice. I want the convenience of no checked luggage and self-debark ahead of everyone else.
Michelle -

Hawaiian Tropic sells packages that include both a large bottle and a travel size bottle that link together -

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...&id=prod600131

The smaller bottle is only two fluid ounces, so it meets the TSA requirement and you can refill it from the larger bottle. Saves having to carry the larger bottle around all day.

Enjoy

Jon
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:50 PM
First Mate

thanks, but I am looking for sunblock that's 60-70 SPF and what I saw in thestores today the largest one I could find was 4 oz. I'll keep trying - otherwise I'll have to get two 3- oz. travel containers to put them in.
I have to have sunblock with highest possible SPF.
Old May 19th, 2007, 01:44 PM
First Mate

The Hawaiian Tropic is SPF 60 - as a Irishman and skin cancer victim, I am sympathetic to this question and use the higher SPF products.

We have found this Hawaiian Tropic to be wonderful.
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:30 PM
First Mate

Most people do not realize that there is an expiration date on suntan lotion.

I always check to make sure it is not expired.

Brian

Sensation
Old May 19th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpm
Most people do not realize that there is an expiration date on suntan lotion.

I always check to make sure it is not expired.

Brian
I just checked both of my two bottles of sunblock. I didn't see an expiration date.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 19th, 2007, 08:53 PM
First Mate

I don't buy the brands that don't have one.

Brian

Sensation