Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Oceanview vs Balcony

We have a cruise booked for Dec to the Western Caribbean. Our 7 night itiniary includes 4 ports of call instead of the usual 3. I wanted to have a balcony cabin, however my husband said it would be a waste of money since we would be visiting more ports and have fewer sea days. So I chose the OV.

I would like to hear from those who have had both and what you prefer. Is it worth the extra money?? Can I upgrade if I choose to, before my final payment? I have only cruised once before and we had an oceanview. I know I wouldn't want an inside after having an OV. If you had a bacony would you go back to OV???? Please help me decide!!!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Admiral

I have been in interior rooms, OV, balcony, and suite. My preference would be a balcony room. Some people don't spend much time in their room or think they don't but you spend more time in your room than you think, at least we do. Our room is not just for sleeping, we enjoy room service in the morning (there's nothing like coffee on your balcony), we shower (love to sit on the balcony and let the wind dry my hair), dress for breakfast, lunch, dinner, shore excursions, sometimes retreat to our room in the afternoon to get some quiet time and perhaps avail ourselves of room service again, enjoy drinks in our room prior to dinner, etc. I'm booked on the Liberty in July and chose an OV room to save a little money but am sorry I did not book a balcony room. Now, the cost of a balcony room has gone up so much that it is prohibitive for me to do so now. You can upgrade any time if there is availability, the problem with waiting is that the prices will increase, not decrease.
Old May 20th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Very well said. We prefer a balcony, and do not mind the extra cost. Once did a back to back, with two different ships. The first was a balcony, but the second was a OV. We missed our balcony.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 20th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Passenger

hi
We had a balcony on our first cruise-alaska (holland america)-loved it...
Did ocean view for New England (carnival)-and that was fine-would not have made great use of it-a bit chilly and damp)
Just did OV for eastern caribbean (carnival) and do so wish I had done balcony--I think it would have been a nice treat--but at booking I was a bit too cheap........
janette
Old May 20th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Yeoman

I won't cruise without a balcony. I think the above poster is correct in that you spend more time in your room than you think. Breakfast on the balcony once or twice is great, have a glass of wine of the balcony before dinner, you can enjoy sitting there reading a book while the other is getting ready or when you just want some peace and quiet. There are many reasons for a balcony. Not a waste of money at all. Just having fresh air in your room is reason enough since the windows in an ocean view don't open. I would go crazy without some fresh air in there. Enjoy!
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:39 AM
Admiral

Being a man, I understand your husband's perspective . however, spring for the balcony..You will be much happier and if you are happy, he is happy (VBG)...Remind your husband that a big part of your cruise is the romance aspect and there is nothing like being on your balcony late at night with a full moon and the sounds of the ocean..right Luanne ???? (VBG)
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks everyone. I think I will try talking him into an upgrade. So far it seems like the balcony IS worth the extra $$$$$.

Also venice we are going on this cruise to celebrate our 5th anniversary so I want it to be as romantic as possible. I think I need to call my PVP very soon!!
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:39 AM
Admiral

congatulations on making it to 5 years..so is it safe to say that you have 5 romantic outfits that your husband can look forward to you modeling on your balcony after you return from a romantic evening onboard ?
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Who said you needed clothes?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Luanne, you've been happlily married for so long you have forgotten that we men like to use our imagination and Victoria Secret catalogues to keep the romance going on our balconcy during our cruise
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Exactly what I was thinking Luanne!!
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Venice,

You are right, we are happily married, and I am happy to say that hubby does not need catalogs of women in their underwear. As I recall, you are not married at the moment. Maybe next time you will be able to do away with your catalogs.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old May 21st, 2007, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Luanne, Luanne, Luanne...you are really out of touch...have you not heard of the internet ?(VBG)...with virtual Victoria Secret models only computer illiterate men order the catalogue (VBG)

Post Katrina reality dictates that if you own a home that did not flood (I do), have a job with medical benefits (I do) and don't have baby momma drama (I don't) then if you are a man you are in demand

Remember, my dating pattern is if I really like a young lady's company for our first real "get-a-way time", I usually take them on a cruise and upgrade to a balcony cabin so I have some experience to draw on to help our friend Maxibluz !!!

Next time your husband gets deployed you may want to check his bags for reading material (smile) (remember you started it !!!VBG)..Be thankful you have been happily married for so long that you forgot what it's like to be single in this crazy world..it is not fun
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

Another way to look at the balcony with 4 ports of call is it is nice to have a balcony so you can watch the ship arrive and leave ports... Do the balcony!
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:36 PM
Admiral

also during the day having a balcony is a nice way to enjoy time away from the crowds and the main rooms both during port and sea days..plus it makes your room "feel bigger"
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well we talked about it and he says no (guess I'm not worth it) So much for the romance....... I guess if I upgrade I'll have to pay the extra.
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:11 PM
Admiral

We think you are worth it. You will still have a great time. Tell him to open the window, every time he gets in the room.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old May 21st, 2007, 09:02 PM
Admiral

treat yourself and pay the difference for the balcony..I bet your husband will reimburse you for it on your 2nd day at sea ..if he doesn't..tell him he cannot come sit on the balcony with you until he does (VBG)
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think I might just do that venice. From all the positive reviews the balcony has to be worth it. I am waiting to hear from my PVP on the price difference.
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Maxibluz-

I have to agree. Upgrade and worry about the $ later.

We have sailed 3x. 2 OV and 1 balcony. Will never go back to an OV.

Not only is room service on the balcony wonderful, I enjoy sitting out there in the pm reading and listening to the waves.

This past trip we were in the front of the ship and could wave to the Captain and crew each am on the bridge. That was awesome.

And then we happened to be on the port side of the ship. This allowed us the treat of watching the ship pull into each of the beautiful ports.

I believe the difference for us was only about $300. Worth every penny.

Either way, enjoy and safe sailing.

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

How much more is a balcony than an OV? We are booking 10 mths early and I forgot to ask about that, I figured it was out of my budget.

Danielle
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:02 AM
Familiar Face

Having a balcony is like having two rooms in that two people can be doing different things in the same cabin without disturbing the other. It makes the cabin feel twice as big and I agree you spend more time in your cabin than you think you will.

Carnival Freedom/4-2007

Free Cruise Clocks
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Admiral

In my family, DH prefers an Inside (yuck!) because it is cheaper and dark, so he can sleep later in the mornings or nap.

I prefer the balcony, because I love watching the ocean, feeling breeze, relaxing in the morning, drinking my coffee, stargazing at night. Also those soft kisses in the moonlight~~~~

I do the booking, so guess which one we get! He never complains, though, once we are on the ship, and enjoys the balcony as much as I do!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:03 AM
Admiral

So what have we learned from this to apply towards future cruises?..If the woman is doing all the arranging, just tell the man the price of the balcony first, without mentioning the OV or inside and tell the man that it's a choice between the balcony or the suite

In the sales game it's called the "assumptive sale"..Once the man has experience the balcony one time, he will not want to settle for anything less

Of course, we men know how women operate but we just like to let them think we don't (VBG), which goes to my basic theory that if the woman is happy the man will enjoy his cruise with added romantic benefits of the balcony..like the Visa commercial says..price of inside $499..price of OV..$699..price of viewing your wife in the moonlight standing on the balcony wearing a sexy nighgown from Victoria Secret asking you to join her on the balcony for a 5th anniversary drink and celebration..Priceless
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
So what have we learned from this to apply towards future cruises?..If the woman is doing all the arranging, just tell the man the price of the balcony first, without mentioning the OV or inside and tell the man that it's a choice between the balcony or the suite

In the sales game it's called the "assumptive sale"..Once the man has experience the balcony one time, he will not want to settle for anything less

Of course, we men know how women operate but we just like to let them think we don't (VBG), which goes to my basic theory that if the woman is happy the man will enjoy his cruise with added romantic benefits of the balcony..like the Visa commercial says..price of inside $499..price of OV..$699..price of viewing your wife in the moonlight standing on the balcony wearing a sexy nighgown from Victoria Secret asking you to join her on the balcony for a 5th anniversary drink and celebration..Priceless
Venice, I just love you!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:10 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

We've had inside , oceanviews. and 1 balcony cabin. We also have a ocean view booked for our Sept. cruise on the Fantasy.

But I can tell you, hands down, Go with a Balcony cabin. Sunsets, or sunrise , views are wonderful. Also, I personally like the balcony during the day, when the top deck gets crowed and hot. I get me a couple good drinks and go to my balcony. Its so peaceful and relaxing. 8)

Happy Aniversary, and happy sailing;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:44 PM
Admiral

I don't believe I would go anymore without having a balcony. In fact, tried the aft balcony (right over the propellers) on the Triumph this past October just one deck below the food court. It was fantastic! I'm sure those wouldn't be for everyone, but everyone back there in those cabins seemed to really like them. Have always sailed CCL except my first cruise which was on an old IM. Last 3 have all been balconies and it is worth more than the extra cost.
Besides, most of the time you can get a Cat 8 balcony for $600 pp or so.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

You guys are great....We talked again now.......Guess what I'm getting.... A BALCONY!! YES I'm going from an OV on the main deck to a balcony on the Lido....Thanks for all your comments!!!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:41 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxibluz
You guys are great....We talked again now.......Guess what I'm getting.... A BALCONY!! YES I'm going from an OV on the main deck to a balcony on the Lido....Thanks for all your comments!!!
Congratulations!!! What changed his mind?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:46 PM
Admiral

You will love the Lido. Great spot, and so near everything.

FOR NEWBIE'S READING THIS. I WAS JOKING ABOUT HER HUBBY OPENING THE WINDOW. THEY DO NOT OPEN
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008