Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Default Going to give Carnival a try!

I've only cruised on RCCL up until this year. But a great opportunity came up and I just couldn't pass it up. I got a really good deal on a Carnival cruise, 6-day western Caribbean on the Carnival Liberty for October. This will be exactly 3 weeks after we get back from an Alaska cruise on RCCL. I'm looking forward to giving Carnival a try! This particular cruise goes to the Caymans and Jamaica which are 2 places I haven't gotten to visit on a cruise yet. So experienced Carnival cruisers, what does an RCCL cruiser need to know before I board the Carnival Liberty in October?

(Actually, I'm looking forward to the Caribbean cruise much more than the Alaskan cruise, the Alaskan cruise is entirely for my wife! I'd much rather be in the warm Caribbean!)

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:12 PM
Admiral

I have done both cruiselines and IMHO, Carnival is more of a fun place to be. RCCL is more low key. RCCL's service is better. Carnival's food is better.

RCCL has the big amenities, rock climbing, virtual golf, ice skating.

Carnival has loud, ridiculous fun competitions. (The only place you can get a "24 karat gold plastic piece of ship") For example:

On the first or second night of the cruise, at dinner time, they split the passengers into three teams. Red Team, White Team and Blue Team. Throughout the cruise, whenever someone wins one of Carnival's stupid, hokey competitions, that person's color get points. Each night at dinner, the maitre D announces the current score for each team. People cheer, people holler, people scream and people whistle. It is loud. It is crass. It is a whole bunch of fun!!!

That is what you have to look forward to. RCCL is a bit more dignified. Carnival allows you to relive your childhood without any shame at all.

Oh yeah! By the way . . . .

TAG, YOU'RE IT!!

Happy Cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:31 PM
Admiral

IBCruzin pretty much summed it up - I would like to point out that RCCL is just a very minute upgrade as it compares to the aesthetics of the ships. I think I have had better service and food on Carnival, but do have to admit that my favorite all time bartender was on Royal Carribbean.

The pool decks are much prettier are RCCL as compared to Carnival's older ships; I think the newer ships are much nicer.

Plus you will be cruising in October and missing the real party crowds.

So we will all be interested in your comparision when you get back!
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:17 PM
First Mate

I agree, you can't go wrong with either but in my opinion, Carnival does have the better food, service and entertainment (overall). I do agree the "colors" competition is absolutely childish on Carnival - they've been doing it for quite some time now and I just keep hoping they'll get rid of it. Overall though, my votes go with Carnival. I've sailed on about 30 cruises and it seems to me that Carnival cares more about their customer than any other cruise line.
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:40 AM
First Mate

Always check things out for yourself. You will enjoy
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Familiar Face

As you can see by my signature, we do both cruise lines. I have more fun on Carnival, and I've found the food to be much much better (they use these new things called "spices" in their food!).

Carnival usually has a lot more kids running all over the place and security does very little to keep them under control. You may even find a Camp Carnival Counselor parading the kids down the Promenade disturbing all the guest with their shouting/singing.

Carnival Magic - 8/26/2012
Carnival Breeze - 1/19/2013

Conquest - 2011, Oasis B2B - 2011
Conquest-2010, Ecstasy-2010, Conquest-2009,
Ecstasy-2009, Brilliance-2008, Miracle-2007,
Conquest-2006, Rhapsody-2005, Vision - 2003,
Rhapsody-2002, Inspiration-2001, Jubilee-1999
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I was asked by my mom when we were on ther Victory in Costa Maya a question. She wanted to know why I choose Carnival vs RCI. We had Legends of the Sea in port with us in Costa Maya and we were clearly a much larger ship. I told her the big reason was I had cruised on Carnival before and I knew I would have fun. I also said that since she was paying for it I didn't want to go with RCI because the same cabin on a RCI ship would be anywhere from $400-800 US more for the same kind of cabin We would have had to book a deluxe balcony cabin on a RCI ship vs a standard balcony cabin for the "Carnival X" named ships. I also know that RCI is stuffier and I was there to have a good time, not be looked down upon because I was doing something goofy.

The "color" idea was only Red and Blue on the Victory and I thought it was something interesting, but I wasn't too interested in trying to get as many points, but rather have as much fun as I could. I did really, really, really try as hard as I could to win one of the "24 karat gold plastic ship on a stick with it's very own dust cover." I almost won the famous faces contest, alas, I wasn't quite as good with famous faces, I only got 24 of the 30, one gal got 2 more than me....*sigh*...I was hoping to get something for the "what's in the bag" since our team just barely missed winning, but no, the men who were dragged up on staged and dressed up in their best womens clothes won the prizes...I was disappointed, but man was it fun...alas, the one item NO ONE remembered to grab was a lifejacket..."IT was too big to fit in the bag" was the response from all teams...

I'm so looking forward to crusing with Carnival again in September. I doubt I will go with any other cruise line since Carnival is so much fun!
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

You will have fun on either line.
Have a great cruise!
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 29th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Yay Carnival...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I was asked by my mom when we were on ther Victory in Costa Maya a question. She wanted to know why I choose Carnival vs RCI. We had Legends of the Sea in port with us in Costa Maya and we were clearly a much larger ship. I told her the big reason was I had cruised on Carnival before and I knew I would have fun. I also said that since she was paying for it I didn't want to go with RCI because the same cabin on a RCI ship would be anywhere from $400-800 US more for the same kind of cabin We would have had to book a deluxe balcony cabin on a RCI ship vs a standard balcony cabin for the "Carnival X" named ships. I also know that RCI is stuffier and I was there to have a good time, not be looked down upon because I was doing something goofy.
I wouldn't say RCI is stuffy, I've seen passengers do some pretty goofy stuff on an RCI cruise. I know everyone has their favorite cruise line, I just want to check out Carnival and see what they're all about.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I wouldn't say RCI is stuffy, I've seen passengers do some pretty goofy stuff on an RCI cruise. I know everyone has their favorite cruise line, I just want to check out Carnival and see what they're all about.

We are a good group. You will have a great time.
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Admiral

Don't get hung up on Carnival vs RCI. Each has its strengths and they are very much equal in most amenities. I still say you get more bang for your buck in cabin value with Carnival. RCI has a bit more "class" (if that matters you know like reserved), while Carnival is a bit more unhinged. I enjoy both (and Princess too).
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old June 1st, 2007, 12:38 AM
Passenger

Carnival has loud, ridiculous fun competitions. (The only place you can get a "24 karat gold plastic piece of ship") For example:

It's a "24 Karat Gold Plastic Ship on a Stick" and I am proudly displaying 5 on my mantle right now, thank you
Old June 1st, 2007, 12:42 AM
Passenger

I can't figure out how to post with quotes. Dang! But anyway, misguided angel, do you wanna buy one of my 24 karat gold plastic ship on a sticks?
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:13 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyDeeDee
I can't figure out how to post with quotes. Dang! But anyway, misguided angel, do you wanna buy one of my 24 karat gold plastic ship on a sticks?
GroovyDeeDee,

I had about 500 posts before I figured out how to do it, so don't feel bad. All you have to do is click on the "quote" above the entry.

Libragirl (Mary)
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:

Did you get the quote thing yet?
Let me know if you need help!
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old June 2nd, 2007, 12:23 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou 123
Quote:

I think I got it?!!?
Old June 2nd, 2007, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou 123
Quote:

I think I got it?!!?

Yes you did, good job!
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old June 2nd, 2007, 10:33 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M
I agree, you can't go wrong with either but in my opinion, Carnival does have the better food, service and entertainment (overall). I do agree the "colors" competition is absolutely childish on Carnival - they've been doing it for quite some time now and I just keep hoping they'll get rid of it. Overall though, my votes go with Carnival. I've sailed on about 30 cruises and it seems to me that Carnival cares more about their customer than any other cruise line.
I agree about the colors competition, but I have a simple solution - I simply ignore it.

You only have to participate if you want to.

On the other hand, I always help those kids out when they are on their treasure hunts.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory