Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
First Mate

Default Best brands of walkie-talkes?

My son (14) and I will be on Sensation July 29th and I want to hear your experience with various brands of walkie-talkies. I don't expect for us to be separated very often, but they will come in handy when we are.
Want to buy the most reliable without spending tons of $$!
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

I don't know but many will tell you the silent ones-Doesn't matter to me but it seems to bug alot of people .

T
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:05 PM
Admiral

We use them on all of our cruises. It is true that they do bug some people but when you are trying to keep in touch with your loved ones or your party that is very unimportant. I found that what bugs them is the people who play on the 2-ways. Making animal noises and such. We don't use ours for that purpose. If you need to keep up with your crew than use the 2-ways and those who are bothered by them then, oh well!! I found that the best ones are Motorola 25 mile range. Midland 18 mile range are good too. Cobras are also good. Prices from $49 to $69 a pair is reasonable.
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:24 AM
First Mate

Personally, I consider Motorola's to be the best (and with bright yellow, the easiest to spot). We also have a pair of cheapies that seem to work fine too, they just don't have the subchannels.
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Just another suggestion:

When I took my then 13 year old on his first cruise, he wanted to feel some independence. I would think that is even more important for a 14 yo. We arranged "meeting times." At a certain time we would meet at a specific place, touch base and then off he'd go. As the week wore on, we met less and less. We always attended the shows and had dinner together at night.

He was having fun with all his new friends, which included time in the pool, on the slide and in the hot tub. Obviously, a 2 way wouldn't work in those situations.

Besides annoying lots of other cruisers, you have to realize that when the 2 way goes off in the middle of the many games (trivia, survivor, etc.) onboard, the social directors are experiencing an interruption and frankly, that's what annoyed me the most as a cruiser.

Now that my son is older (16, almost 17) we use the sticky note system: if you have any changes in the schedule, put a sticky note on the mirror in the stateroom. We still have dinner together every night and get off in the ports together. But it's kind of fun to "check up" on what everybody did on a sea day over dinner.

I would guess that your son will be a lot happier without having to carry around (and keep up with) a 2 way. I truly do understand 2 ways for younger children that might not choose to be part of Camp Carnival, but a 14 year old eems a bit more capable of handling a little independence.

Of course, it depends on the child, so I'm sure you know what's best for your son.

Just MHO. Have a great cruise.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Passenger

Dorothy, you bring up some good points.

We are now re-thinking a two way radio plan for our 3 girls (ages 12, 13 and 14) . As you mention in some cases it could be more of a hinderance than a help.

They will always be together .....they are now on land so a change of venue probably will not affect that .

And our younger boy will either be with us or in Camp Carnival.

All things considered the note idea along with scheduled check in times should work well. In fact this is what we have done the last year or so at theme parks.... which are even more spread out that cruise ship!
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:06 PM
First Mate

the thing is, it's only 4-day cruise and on the first night, we'll be checking out the ship together, and going to a show or comedy thing after dinner. One day we'll be in freeport on an exucrion together and hanging around on board in the afternoon. the next day we'll be in freeport, on a morning excursion then doing the walking tour/straw market all afternoon. So for the onboard time, we'll mostly be hanging around together and when he wants to hang with kids his age, I will want it to be in a public place, lidop desk, basketball court, etc. where I can be around and watching him have fun but not being an intrusive hovering parent. I will be content to sit and read or mostly likely write (I'm a writer!) while he's doing things. I really do expect us to do a lot together, and not sure I am willing to let him out of my sight. I'm hoping to connect with t least one more single/divorces mom with a kid around 14 and our kids can hang out and play while we're nearby chatting up. so I'm not sure I want him out of my sight long enough to need a walkie talkie. He doesn't think he'll want to hang around in any teen planned activities. I know all it will take is seeing a girl who interests him and that may all change.
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Admiral

Wow; sorry I misunderstood. You want to keep up with the kids, I thought you wanted to keep track of the ADULTS. 8)
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:57 AM
First Mate

yes we'll mostly be together, but for the few times he may be doing something wiht the other teens and I may just want to relax near the pool or wander the ship, I want to be in touch with him every hour. Even though it won't be a lot of time, I 'll feel better. I'm going to activate my cell phone for int'l calling for that week, so perhaps I can activate his cell phone as well, and we can just do quick 30-second checkins wiht each other on board - anyone do that>?????
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:51 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellet1959
I'm going to activate my cell phone for int'l calling for that week, so perhaps I can activate his cell phone as well, and we can just do quick 30-second checkins wiht each other on board - anyone do that>?????
I think that would be a $5 to $7 call. You will pay international roaming placing on your phone and international roaming on his call when he picks it up.

Of course $7 might be worth it if you really need to talk to him.

Brian

Sensation
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Admiral

That is the peace of mind that the 2 ways bring to me. The "post it's" idea is good but what if one or more of the kids is not at the meeting place on time, i don't want to go wandering around the ship looking for the so I use the radio. What is important also is that if they need to contact me they can. It works both ways. And to be honest, things do happen on cruise ships. I would rather be safe than sorry. It's a small price to pay for the peace of mind. IMO.
Old May 26th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Be sure to review their output. You want some that can reach through the metal of the decks when you are topside and the kids are lower.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:42 AM
First Mate

Thanks Mehawk, I'll ask about that. I have to decide if the cost of walkie talkies for a cruise is worth it compared to using the cell phones which I would assume would work on the top few decks? I'm sure satellite reception is also iffy in the stateroom decks? Anyone know about that? I don't think we'd use the walkie talkies other than on the cruise, as we have cell phone and all calls between us are normally free.
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:44 AM
First Mate

Hey Brian... I'm going to be asking you tons of questions after your Sensation cruise as I'll be cruising on her a few weeks later...and I hope you'll take and post a lot of pictures!!!
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:59 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Hey Brian... I'm going to be asking you tons of questions after your Sensation cruise as I'll be cruising on her a few weeks later...and I hope you'll take and post a lot of pictures!!!
I am a picture nut. I will most likely take hundreds of pictures. Send me your cabin number and I will take pictures of stuff around it or a peak inside if it is open at the beginning or end.

Let me know anything else you want me to check out.

Brian

Sensation
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We bought them for our first cruise. I believe we had the Cobras. I soon learned that they only worked in certain areas, because of all the steel on the ship. We also learned that we spent more time listening to other peoples kids, wondering if it was ours. On the morning of the second day, we all agreed to not use them and instead use consideration, and common sense. That worked out much better.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:05 AM
First Mate

Thanks so much Brian, I'll be in M118!

I wish I could run into someone travelling the same ship at the same time, but so far on one's replied to my MOB posting!
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Admiral

It is true that in certain areas of the ship you can't get out on the 2 ways. As far as I know 5 watts is the most you can get on FRS/GMRS. That's the most I've seen. I get out most vevrywhere on the ship but there are still some areas that are tough.
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:17 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Thanks so much Brian, I'll be in M118!

I wish I could run into someone travelling the same ship at the same time, but so far on one's replied to my MOB posting!
I added your cabin number to my list of things I am bringing.

I will get pictures in and around it for you. If you think of anything else I should check out let me know.

Brian

Sensation
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:52 AM
First Mate

Brian,

Thanks that would be MORE than enough!

I will probably post 4-5 pages of 50 photos each from my trip!