CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   lock luggage? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/333696-lock-luggage.html)

dawson21 May 24th, 2007 06:29 AM

lock luggage?

I have read some where that you are supposed to lock your luggage that the porters take to your cabin. Is this true? At the airports they have to be unlocked so they can be searched should they choose. Would hate to have my luggage destroyed or delayed because it was locked.

Gail F May 24th, 2007 07:18 AM

I have never locked mine, and never had a problem, and I am early enough, that they could have a field day.

Bob M May 24th, 2007 09:24 AM

I use the small plastic ties that you can find at Wally World or an auto parts store.... That way they can just cut the tie for an inspection.... I also tag each piece of luggage with an extra name tag including my home address & cabin with these small ties....
Bob & Kathy

Floridanamaw May 24th, 2007 12:18 PM

We don't fly, but used the locks (combination) that have a TSA lock on the bottom of them so that they can be opened at airports, etc. for inspections. The locks are a couple bucks each. Security personel have the special keys that fit the lock, they can open them, then close them back up and lock them.

Dorothy May 24th, 2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob M
I use the small plastic ties that you can find at Wally World or an auto parts store.... That way they can just cut the tie for an inspection.... I also tag each piece of luggage with an extra name tag including my home address & cabin with these small ties....
Bob & Kathy

And if YOU can cut the ties off, so can anyone else. I don't lock, but if I did, would use the TSA approved locks.

dorothy

Fern May 24th, 2007 10:03 PM

Re: lock luggage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawson21
I have read some where that you are supposed to lock your luggage that the porters take to your cabin. Is this true? At the airports they have to be unlocked so they can be searched should they choose. Would hate to have my luggage destroyed or delayed because it was locked.

Yes, you should lock your luggage after your flight and before giving it to the porter at the dock. If there's anything "suspicious" in your luggage they'll call you down to open it.

jackiesbooks May 24th, 2007 10:15 PM

I have never locked. Never had a problem.

marysed May 25th, 2007 10:44 AM

Where do you get a TSA lock. I have never used one so I am not sure what they are or where you get them. Thank you.

Popdog May 25th, 2007 11:22 AM

I don't bother locking my luggage but I also don't put anything of value or importance in my luggage.
I do however use tie-wraps to avoid accidental opening if latch catches on something. In the past when using Samsonite hard side luggage (the LONG past) I did lock it because that was the only way to avoid accidental opening.
If using tie-wraps don't forget to bring extras for the trip home, if security has to cut them for inspection, etc. I also bring extras for the people who forget to bring extras. :oops:

Floridanamaw May 25th, 2007 11:54 AM

The TSA approved locks can be bought at Wal-Mart, K-mart, just about anyplace along that line of store. We bought ours at a Wal-mart. They are not expensive, a few bucks each.

Purple_2005 May 25th, 2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern
Quote:

Yes, you should lock your luggage after your flight and before giving it to the porter at the dock. If there's anything "suspicious" in your luggage they'll call you down to open it.

This is not true at airports. They just cut the lock or break it which ever one is easier. At the airports they always tell you not to lock it for this reason.

Lou 123 May 25th, 2007 05:09 PM

I have never locked my luggage on flights or at the port. As far as that goes I didn't even lock our house on the last cruise..... LOL

Fern May 25th, 2007 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purple_2005
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern
Quote:

This is not true at airports. They just cut the lock or break it which ever one is easier. At the airports they always tell you not to lock it for this reason.

Hi Purple 2005, please note that I said after your flight and before you give your luggage to the porters at the port. When the TSA locks were new they were often cut off, but I haven't heard of this happening lately. The cable ties work well, too. If they cut one off (a lock or a cable tie) you should have a note in your luggage saying they did so.

Irish Shark May 26th, 2007 02:17 PM

Not locking your bag for a flight is a misconception. The airlines and TSA don't tell you not to lock your bags.

They encourage you to use TSA approved locks which can be opened and relocked if a bag inspection is necessary.

Locks/devices that are not TSA approved will be opened/cut as necessary for a bag inspection.

mehawk May 26th, 2007 03:01 PM

Sometimes I lock, other times I don't.

Cia1018 June 16th, 2007 08:13 PM

Confused? 1st time cruiser. It is necessary to use locks on the luggage when not flying to port? If so, do we still need to use TSA locks?

Inis46 June 17th, 2007 05:08 AM

We are leaving on a family cruise in a few hours and are only using the plastic ties. We are not flying in but feel a little security to our luggage won't hurt. I'll let you know later if any of us got ripped off..... :-?

Mike M June 17th, 2007 11:19 AM

I use a zip ties on my luggage. If you are locking your luggage, just at the port, you can use any type of lock you wish.

The truth on luggage theft is this: Your luggage is with you for the entire time until you check it in until you pull it off the baggage carousel. If a baggage handler wants to get in your luggage they will. They can pop off a lock or a zip tie in no time. They can also pop off a zipper tab or slash open the teeth of a luggage zipper with a screw driver or small knife in less time then you can unlock the lock. Luggage locks keep honest people honest, the zippers closed and gives the owner a sense of security.

They can also pop open most hard sided luggage in almost the same amount of time.

The best thing you can do is keep ANYTHING of real value with you, in your carry on, and don't let it out of your sight. You may want to put a lock on the carry on to delay someone from doing a quick grab from one of the outer pockets.

Take care,
Mike

FlowerMom June 17th, 2007 02:35 PM

We used TSA locks that I bought at Target. $5.99 for a two pack. Unfortunately I lost ONE item from my luggage, but thankfully it was minor and it was my own stupidity.
My large rolling suitcases have little clipping straps so that you can piggyback two or more and roll them stacked. Not thinking, I put my luggage out in the hallway on the last night of the cruise with the strap on the outside. When I decided to go out for a stroll on the deck about an hour later, the strap was gone. I guess some passerby in the hallway decided they could use this little clip strap. It made it hard for me to get my suitcases through customs the next day.
So - make sure you have locks and put EVERYTHING INSIDE your bag if you decide to leave it in the hall to be "checked" for when you leave the ship.
Grrrr................
I wish the cruise lines would let you take your luggage directly to a "checking" point instead of leaving it in the hallway.

Cia1018 June 18th, 2007 05:19 PM

Thank you Mike M!

RobRen June 24th, 2007 07:36 PM

We always lock our luggage even though we don't carry anything of real value in them (we always take the "important" things as carry-on).

After we check our luggage in at the ticket counter we personally walk them over (all of 10 feet) to the inspection area. You stand by while they put your luggage through the scanner. If they suspect anything, they ask you for the key to open your luggage. Once your luggage is approved, they put a sticker on it that says it's been checked. After that, your locked luggage is good to go. It takes all of 10 minutes before they give you the thumbs up.

By the way, we've only been asked a few times to open a piece of luggage.

Mike M June 24th, 2007 08:32 PM

RobRen:

That's great if the airport has that configuration and you have the time but a large number of airports do not have the luggage scanners in the ticket area or they are not active unless the threat levels dictate so.

I still would advise anyone who locks their luggage to use a TSA approved lock or risk the lock being cut off and their luggage being damaged.

Take care,
Mike

kookylabooka June 24th, 2007 09:08 PM

I drive to port and do not lock it.Everything of value stays with me in my carry-on.