Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Passenger

Default Review of the Carnival Legend

Carnival Legend 5/13/07

This was me and the DH fifth cruise, so we “kind of? new what to expect (or so we thought). We will do some relaxing in the early days, and “what the hay?, let’s book some of our own tour excursions outside of Carnival. That’s the plan.

And so our journey begins:

Tampa, Fl.
The weather was beautiful for our entire trip. Check-in was fast. I mean really fast.. No lines at all. I showed my AmXpress, my passport, and then got on the ship. 10 minutes max. Wow !!

The ship
Festive décor. Prominent colors of gold and maroons. Track lighting throughout. No trash or stained carpets. Everything looked fresh and very well maintained.

The cabin
Our cabin was stateroom 5249, upper deck, starboard side, with a balcony (the only way to cruise). The cabin gets cold at night, so turn down the temperature before you go to sleep. Our cabin steward (Soni) was a gem.

Dining Room
Our waiters, Providal and Noel were superb. The food was excellent, with only one night being the exception. The dining room staff was preparing for a food display. Although the food and service were still good, I did notice the difference.

Ok all of the formalities and observations out of the way. Let’s Cruise…..

Fun Day at Sea
Yea Right !!! All we did was catch up on some much needed sleep. Relaxe on the balcony, and spend a lot of time visiting the sandman throughout the day. Ok …?NOW?, I am finally ready for my vacation to start. ?

Grand Cayman
We decided on the Rays, Reef, and Rum punch tour offered by Native Way Watersports. $60 bucks and worth every penny. This was a FANTASTIC tour. The captain and crew were personable and knowledgeable. But more importantly they were FUN. There were only 10 people on our large boat. This was great! We received a lot of “one-on-one? time. We took lots of pictures holding the rays, we snorkeled, and went to Rum Point Beach to just unwind. To date, this was my best tour excursion EVER.

The Golden Fleece Supper Club
This alternate dinning experience is a nice way to wind down the prefect day. $30 dollars, but you will not be disappointed. Very romantic.

Cozumel
We had been to this port on two separate occasions. We had so much fun on the Fiesta Party Boat on previous trips, that we decided to do it again. The party boat never disappoints. Good times for everyone.

Belize
Cave Tubing. We booked with Coral Breeze (Hammerhead Watersports) $65 and included lunch. Our tour guide was Travis Zetina. This guy is AMAZING. He knows ALL of the historical facts of Belize. A walking, talking, knowledge bank. Very professional and friendly. After a long comfortable ride to the site, we were off to cave tube. Don’t let anyone fool you, the hike is rather strenuous, but the path is wide and safe. During the hike, I thought that we had reached our final destination. Droves of Carnival cruisers were lined up to get in the water. But Travis said “NO? our tour goes further up the path. We get two caves for the price of one. WHAT !!! At that point, I only wished that I had enough strength to punch him. In the end…. The cave tubing water was refreshing and Travis was the prefect guide. We stopped for lunch, and made it back in time to get on the last tender to the Legend. What a great day…. As I lay down for the night, all I keep hearing was the voice of Travis saying “BUTTS UP?.

Costa Maya
Now after that taxing day in Belize, I definantly need a little R&R. And the Maya Palms Resort was just what the doctor ordered. You walk off the ship, thru the shopping area, get a bus transfer to the village of Mahahal then take a taxi (20 minutes) to the Palms. This sounds like a lot of traveling, but actually, it is not bad at all. Currently it is the month of May, and the off-season. So when we arrived it was a little unsettling to walk to the front door and find that it was Locked. Oh my God !!! Where did that taxi go? But before major panic set in, we were greeted with a smile by the hotels receptionist and the owner. Both were extremely pleasant and explained that we were the only guest for the day and if we needed ANYTHING they would take care of it. Words can’t explain how beautiful this place is. Native plants, Palm Trees on the Beach, crystal clear pool, hammocks, lounging chairs. Wow ! And just when I thought that things could not get better, the waiter appears with a list of bar drinks. We ask “how much?? He says “Everything on this menu is included in your fee?. Am I in heaven or what? We ordered two food platters (seafood and Mexican). Both were excellent. What a day. The staff was constantly checking to see if they could somehow be of service. With Latin music in the background, the sound of the surf, a nap at the pool, and drinks galore. I found myself wishing that this could somehow last forever. But how soon the time flies, and its time to catch a taxi and go back to the Legend. Back at the Mahahal shopping area, there were literally hundreds of people in the pool. If they only knew what awaits just 20 minutes away.

Carnival Legend
What a Cruise !!!!
Carnival Conquest - 8/2004
Carnival Holiday - 8/2003
Carnival Holiday - 8/2002
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Great review, and I am so glad you had such a good time.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 27th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Another positive Carnival review.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

Sounds like you had a good cruise.
Thanks for the review.
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Your review makes me wish I had been right there with you, for each day! Thanks!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Beginner

Nice review, thanks for posting. We are taking this cruise on June 17. How early did you arrive at the port for check in?
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Admiral

I'm so happy to read your review of Legend. I've been trying to decide between Legend, and Glory. We've sailed Glory 3 times in the last two years, and always enjoyed it, but we also sailed Miracle (Legends sister ship) last year, and really, really enjoyed it. I've already got Miracle booked for later in the year, but now think I'll go ahead and go for Legend just before Christmas. Thanks again for a great review.

Ken
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Passenger

skymaster, i am so glad you enjoyed my post. i beleive that you will have a good time on the legend. if you need any additional info for your cruise regarding tour prices, etc. that we took, i would be happy to provide.
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Passenger

our flight arrived at 12noon ,took bus to port provided by carnival round trip bus ticket for 2 people was 36.00, nice large buses. arrived in port at 12.45, on ship eating lunch :o at 1:00 on lido deck with drinks in hand
Carnival Conquest - 8/2004
Carnival Holiday - 8/2003
Carnival Holiday - 8/2002
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Beginner

Sorry, now I have another question. This is the first I've heard about buses to the port. We live in Palm Harbor and we have friends going with us from Clearwater. Where can I go to find out about this bus?

Thanks Again!
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Admiral

I think you can contact Carnival and they should be able to assist you with transfer plans.
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Passenger

Transportation in Costa Maya was a little strange.

This is what we did .....

Once you get off the ship, the port shopping is right there. There is not a transfer needed or anything. Just walk down the pier, and you are there. Some people spend there whole time at port right in this area. The port area also has a swim-up bar pool. (but it is REALLY crowded).

If you wanted to go to the Maya Palms, you need to go to Mahahal (hope the spelling is correct) and get a taxi.

By the way, you can almost walk to Mahahal. It is a beach area with huts etc. I am guessing that it takes about 15 minute walk. Mahahal is the ONLY place that you can get a taxi. And a bus /van transfer cost $3.

You can save the 3 bucks and walk. But I suggest getting the transfer ticket. By the way, at the port, you need to walk to the rear of the port shopping area to get a ticket for the bus/van.
Old May 28th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Admiral

We loved Costa Maya. It is one of our favorite ports.
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 28th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Passenger

Hi Flapenquins,

We made all arrangements for both our cruise and the transportation with our local travel agent. I believe all she did was phone Carnival and they set up everything ($18 transfer fee).

Like Lou 123 suggest, contact Carnival. They should be able to help with arrangements.
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:04 AM
First Mate

The Legend is a great ship!

MAY 2011 - CARNIVAL GLORY
MAY 2010 - CARNIVAL DREAM
MAY 2009 CARNIVAL FASCINATION
APR 2008 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JUN-2007 CARNIVAL SENSATION
NOV-2006 CARNIVAL LEGEND
APR-2006 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JAN -2000 CARNIVAL IMAGINATION
Old June 11th, 2007, 01:04 AM
First Mate

Cant wait to visit Costa Maya and sail the Legend again!

MAY 2011 - CARNIVAL GLORY
MAY 2010 - CARNIVAL DREAM
MAY 2009 CARNIVAL FASCINATION
APR 2008 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JUN-2007 CARNIVAL SENSATION
NOV-2006 CARNIVAL LEGEND
APR-2006 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JAN -2000 CARNIVAL IMAGINATION