CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Hair Braiding in Freeport Bahamas (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/333862-hair-braiding-freeport-bahamas.html)

diazmayra May 27th, 2007 10:12 PM

Hair Braiding in Freeport Bahamas

Has any one had their hair braided in the Bahamas? Do they even braid hair in Freeport Bahamas? If they do, how expensive is it? I want my hair braided but I hear it is very expensive on the ship & our first port is Freeport Bahamas.

routonc May 28th, 2007 06:06 AM

re: hair braiding

I have read that you need to beware the hair braiders. Some will advertise at $2 a braid and then braid very small. If you have long hair, some will say to negotiate a price first.

I will not have the braiding problem, as I have short hair, but since I have read this warning I thought I would pass it on.

Christina in GA

Lou 123 May 28th, 2007 11:56 AM

I don't have enough hair to have it braided.
LOL LOL LOL LOL

Ro May 28th, 2007 03:35 PM

I just came back in early May from Freeport on the Sensation. At the port which is like a few minutes walk from the ship there was a young lady doing the hair braiding in the strawmarket. We watched her do a few young ladies hair and she did a beautiful job to. I think the price was ten or fifteen dollars depending on hair length. I don't remember seeing anyone at the port of Nassau doing hair braiding.

seadog2 May 28th, 2007 08:57 PM

Lou123, I also am folically challenged!! LOL

UConn1 May 28th, 2007 10:12 PM

Put some serious thought into this. Braiding is very damaging to your hair. It also exposes much of your scalp to the sun and makes it very likely to get burned - not so fun with the pain and the peeling that comes afterwards.

If you have very healthy hair now, I would avoid this and keep the healthy hair.

I have long hair that they would love to get their hands on, but once I talked to a couple of hair stylists, they have given horror stories of the outcomes.

Just make sure that you know what may happen. I am not trying to talk you out of it, but just make sure you know what you are getting into.

Lou 123 May 28th, 2007 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seadog2
Lou123, I also am folically challenged!! LOL

LOL LOL LOL LOL

BarJen May 29th, 2007 09:53 AM

Hair braiding is available at most cruise ship stops, some areas you won't be able to go 20 yards without hearing "braid your hair pretty lady".
My daughter has long hair, that is how I know.
My wife's girlfriend and her family sailed with us a few years ago, long story short my wife's friend decided to get her hair braided while we were in Lucaya, $2 a braid. After the vendor was done with the front half of her hair, she informed her that it would be $50, there were 25 small braids across her head, another $50 and she would braid the back. Needless to say said friend decided that $50 was plenty.
LOL
After returning to the ship that afternoon I noticed a lot of girls on board that probably had the same experience, front half of their head braided, with red strips in between. (sunburn)
Here's the funny part, the next day she was uncomfortable and had a headache because the braids were too tight, so she had to take them out.

Moral of the story; is it's your vacation spend your $ how you want, just make sure that you choose a vendor that is licenced.
Also, beware of the guys trying to give you a "free" bracelet for a small donation, they can be very rude, but, I'll save that story for another time! :)

diazmayra May 29th, 2007 08:32 PM

"beware of the guys trying to give you a "free" bracelet"

Dont save the story, what's the scoop?

Lou 123 May 29th, 2007 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diazmayra

I know when I was in Nassua they gave me a free braclet but wanted money for a donation. A dollar was not enough of a donation, they wanted $5.00
:)

BarJen May 30th, 2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diazmayra

Ok not very exciting, but something to be aware of non the less, on our last visit to Nassau we were walking past the straw market with another family, a guy approached us and shoved a braclet on one of the children's arm's that was in our group then turns to my wife and says "give me money
", my wife informed him that wasn't her child (which it wasn't) and he angrily removed the braclet from her arm. No harm was done, we all actually kind of laughed it off.
Just something to be aware of, luckily we were all good sports about it, and luckily the guy was alone otherwise it might be a good distraction for a pickpocket to do some real damage.

Cheers, Barry :)

amaretto June 1st, 2007 04:26 PM

I've never been to Freeport, but I did go to Nassau; and I reckon it's a similar port. Once you disembark and get into the tourist area, there will be tons of people coming to you and asking you if you want your hair to be braided (as well as tour guides coming to you and asking if you want a tour). Just be sure to stay in the tourist area for safety reasons.

When I went there, it was $2 per braid; and I thought it was a tad too expensive so I refused. I met this girl on my cruise who got her whole head braided; and she told me that it was around $70!