Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:18 AM
Beginner

Default Airfare arranged by Carnival - Is this okay?

First some background info: We are going on the Carnival Triumph on June 30, 2007, so we are leaving from the port of Miami. We let Carnival make our flight arrangements (in the future we will make our own).

We received our docs this week and noticed that they have us flying out of Washington, DC at 8:45 and arriving at 10:09 in Charlotte, NC. And then departing NC at 11:25 and arriving in Ft. Lauderdale, FL at 1:23 p.m. Then we take the transfer to the Port of Miami. My question "Is this enough time to get to the ship?" My husband and I feel that this is cutting it pretty close. We sure don't want to miss the ship.

The last time we took a cruise with Carnival and had them book our flights they gave us a direct flight to Miami and we got there before the transfer service started - which worked out alot better.
Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If your flights are on time you'll have time to get to the ship. But that's a problem with flying in day of the cruise. If you miss a connection you're out of luck, and will have to fly to the first port to meet the ship.

Not sure why you booked cruise line air, as they find the least expensive route. You can purchase air deviation from the cruise line, and chose your own flights for them to book, but too late in your case.

Hopefully everything will go well and all will end fine. It does add a bit of stress to the start of your vacation.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

There are passengers sitting in the Denver airport this morning who would probably tell you it wasn't a good thing. They missed their cruise to Alaska because of a storm in Denver. Even more were stuck in Dallas for the same reason.

I am a big believer in the day before, but since you have your plans, and I assume they can't be changed, then we will pray for good weather for you.

I do wish that Carnival would stop this same day flights. It causes more headaches than good wishes.

Good Luck!!!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hello.....I just got back on Monday from a cruise with Carnival, and I too had them book my airfare. Once I got my documents I noticed they didn't have me leaving Florida until 7:30pm at night after dembarking the ship, which was way too late to leave. I called Carnival Air and Sea department and complained a whole lot, and they were able to change my return flight, free of charge, the only catch was I had to fly another airline, which didn't bother me. If I were you I would call them and ask them to change your flight, and don't let them tell you they can't because they can! Good Luck and happy cruising!

Jessie
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have decided after our last cruise to never do a flight on the same day as the cruise. It worked out fine time wise to get on the ship but I was absolutely exhausted from having almost no sleep the night before, finish the last minute packing, leave at 4:15am driving an hour and a half to the airport and check-in at 6am for an 8:15am departure. (And the line was so long that there were people who didn't make their flights.) Fly to Fort Lauderdale get luggage wait for all of the passengers to show up so we can get the prearrange buses, which went OK. It was a short ride to the port. Go stand in line for security. Go eat. Room was ready. COLLAPSE!!!
Our neighbor who joined us on our last cruise has already booked another cruise in November and she and her friend are going the day before. Way to go. Be rested and enjoy your first day too.
Doesn't your travel insurance cover not being able to get to your ship? I would hate to miss a cruise but getting your money back is a little consolation.
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Old May 31st, 2007, 03:29 PM
Beginner

Default Thank you

Thank you to everyone who replied to my concern.

We let the cruiseline book our flights because we had them book our flights on the previous trips and everything worked out great. So for convenience reasons my husband said have them book the flights again.

Luckly, we did buy travel insurance, hopefully we won't need it.

I may still call them and see if they can change or modify our flights.
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

I book air on my own and I agree with the others, always fly in the day early. By the way, most of us learned a lot of leasons on our 1st cruise. Stay positive and all will go well.
Have fun!
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Insurance is covering those who had it for the Alaskan cruise. Some were warned that the paperwork to file was a mile high. This is a good reason for insurance, but I can not picture myself sitting here tonight, instead of being on a cruise.

In normal times they could have flown the next day, and caught up with the ship, but because of the ports, it was not possible.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old May 31st, 2007, 08:05 PM
First Mate

I believe that you will be OK in this case - my understanding is that, since you booked your air through Carnival, they take the responsibility for getting you to the ship. In fact, providing your flight is not delayed so late, I think they will hold the ship, rather than having to arrange for you to fly to the next port of call AND pay you some sort of a penalty to make it right.

Of course, I could be wrong.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I let Carnival book the flights for the first, second, and the next one in September. I have to fly out the day before because it can take upwards of 10 hours to get there when there is a stopover involved. This past January, we left for the airport at 6ish (830 flight) MST and didn't get to Miami until 7pm EST. We JUST made the fconnecting flight at Toronto Pearson. We had to get from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 by bus (on the runways, the LONG way) and walk (almost run) to get to baggage claim to clear US customs and then from there from gate A to the sixth last gate to catch the flight. We barely made it, we had less than 10 minutes to spare (us and six others from the same flight). Carnival could have put us on a flight that left an hour earlier and given us 2hours10minutes instead of 1hour10min, but no, we got the docs so late I couldn't change it and I was assured I would have more than enough time.....ya, well, I was a very cranky person that day.....I was grateful and glad to get to Ft Lauderdale....This time, I hope to get a decent flight, even if it is a red eye, which would get to my Miami before 2pm (enough time to crash for a four hour nap before getting something to eat).
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:59 PM
Passenger

Kuki and Misguidedangel, I am also Canadian (Calgary-ish).
I have let Carnival book my flights at what I think is a pretty good rate and they have us going in the night before with hotel and transfers included. I have been doing some internet searchs and I can not beat the price.

However, I am sure I am going to be doing some crazy connections and flight times. Is this common and is there a chance I'll find a seat sale and be able to pick better times myself?

This seems to be the only part of our cruise that I am concerned about.

Thoughts?

Old June 1st, 2007, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Please, Please, Please never think that Carnival will hold the ship for you. It just isn't so. They are providing a service for you, but without guarantees. I have read reviews where the people were late getting in from the airport, and have the ship in sight, and were still left behind. They were actually on one of the buses provided by Carnival as part of the transfers.

I do have good news for the Alaskan cruisers who were unable to make connections this week, because of storms in Denver. Carnival is now re booking those cruises for next year, and re-funding part of the air fair. So, if you were one of the ones stranded, you need to call them.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old June 1st, 2007, 04:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Last time I booked with Carnival, they put me on a flight route with a transfer. There was only 20 minutes to get from one flight to the next, which I thought would be pretty rushed. Not only did my nightmare come true, but the airport at which I was to take the transfer flight messed up everything for us. They directed us to an entirely new section altogether, but I was able to get to the appropriate gate . . . though with only 2 minutes prior to takeoff.

I also didn't fly with a very good airline (Northwest) because I think that Carnival chooses whatever is cheapest. Next time, I would choose to book my own flight and arrive a day before the cruise to avoid the stress that comes with a same-day arrangement.
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

I think normally I can get a better rate for a flight on my own instead of through Carnival. Even a rep from Carnival has said that except for international flights. Fly in the day before and set your own flight plans...
Take a day to relax in the port city before you sail..
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty