CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Footwear for excursion to tulum (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/334126-footwear-excursion-tulum.html)

Deakon June 2nd, 2007 05:59 PM

Footwear for excursion to tulum

I'm having a debate with the wife about what kind of footwear we need for our excursion from Triumph to the Mayan ruins of Tulum. Sandals or something more solid?

Anyone?

mehawk June 2nd, 2007 06:25 PM

You will be doing some climbing so choose something that will not cause your foot to slip. I am not saying that you will be climbing straight up but you will walk a path or two that is made out of stones and is on a sloping grade.

MTSFP June 2nd, 2007 06:45 PM

Re: Footwear for excursion to tulum

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deakon
I'm having a debate with the wife about what kind of footwear we need for our excursion from Triumph to the Mayan ruins of Tulum. Sandals or something more solid?

Anyone?

Its been eight years since I did the Tulum ruins, but I would recommend something more substantial than sandals. You don't need boots, but I think sneakers at least are in order.

Enjoy the ruins - they are both beautiful and fascinating.

Jon

ClevelandRocks June 2nd, 2007 10:02 PM

When we did Tulum, our group chose to pay a couple bucks extra and ride the tram once at the park. That eliminates a lot of extra walking. Wouldn't wear any foot gear made from lizard-skin. Could be related to one of the local Iguanas. :wink: You'll love Tulum!

Amy9373 June 3rd, 2007 05:00 AM

Hi,

When are you and your wife going on the Triumph? My husband and I will be onboard June 23rd 2007. This is our 1st cruise. We also have the Mayan Ruins of Tulum excursion booked. I was also wondering about footwear.

Amy

ClevelandRocks June 3rd, 2007 08:01 AM

I'd wear something comfortable! After the ferry ride to the mainland, you have a brisk walk through town to the bus staging area. Then you board the buses for about an 90-120 minute ride with a stop at a jewelry mfg (caveat emptor). When you arrive at Tulum you can opt for the tram back to the ruins or walk. Like a previous poster mentioned, there is some climbing around so you might not want sandals w/o a rear strap. Don't miss the beach beneath the cliffs of the ruins. It'll be HOT!!! And like I said, there'll be PLENTY of IGUANAS!

PS - Take plenty of SMALL BILLS for shopping in the souvenier area. Several passengers on our bus bought postcards with $20s and never saw the change.

Deakon June 3rd, 2007 06:40 PM

Amy--

we're actually going this saturday (06/09)... Found an awesome deal and snatched it up! It's our second cruise so I'll be interested to see how it compares.

Thanks everyone for all the advice!

adias.angel June 4th, 2007 09:25 AM

We went to Tulum back in march and you will be climbing up rocks. You will want a shoe with a good sole, no sandals. Carla :)

cherylyoungklein June 4th, 2007 11:03 AM

I like wearing the all terrain sandal from Keen/Columbia etc. They are supportive like a shoe, open like a sandal, thick soled like a boot, and waterproof so you can walk through water. The toe is rubber capped to prevent mishaps on any surface. Comes in colors, comfy too! REI, Academy sells them for about $100 for men, women and kids. But I found mine at Show Cents Outlet last summer....like everything, styles/colors change every year and so you can save on last year's model. Stole 'em for $39!

Thoth June 5th, 2007 01:45 AM

walking shoes! Whatever you wear walking
May I also suggest sun block, a hat and whatever else one might need in the hot sun.?