Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to cana57
Default Sail and Sign deposits and notify credit card companies

I like to not have to owe a dime when I come home from a cruise and basically use a debit/credit card for everything unless it's a major purchase. When my friends and me cruised on the Inspiration out of Tampa in early May, they would not take CASH when you went for your sign and sail/room card. If you were going to use cash for your sign and sail, you needed to go the following morning. My suggestion for everyone is just take enough cash for your port spending money and use your debit/credit and or credit card for your sign and sail (an initial $150 when embarking or whatever amount you choose). You can though, at any time during the cruise, put additional cash on your sign and sail if you're more comfortable doing that. FINALLY - be sure to notify your credit card companies in advance that you are traveling out of the country!!

Carnival Imagination 5/4/06
Carnival Fantasy 9/30/06
Carnival Inspiration 5/3/07
Carnival Triumph 10/13/07
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123
Default Re: Sail and Sign deposits and notify credit card companies

Quote:
Originally Posted by cana57
I like to not have to owe a dime when I come home from a cruise and basically use a debit/credit card for everything unless it's a major purchase. When my friends and me cruised on the Inspiration out of Tampa in early May, they would not take CASH when you went for your sign and sail/room card. If you were going to use cash for your sign and sail, you needed to go the following morning. My suggestion for everyone is just take enough cash for your port spending money and use your debit/credit and or credit card for your sign and sail (an initial $150 when embarking or whatever amount you choose). You can though, at any time during the cruise, put additional cash on your sign and sail if you're more comfortable doing that. FINALLY - be sure to notify your credit card companies in advance that you are traveling out of the country!!

Good advice about notifying the credit card company.
Thanks,
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Another way is to buy Fun ship dollars, sold on the Carnival web site. Instead of having them mailed to your home, put your booking number in one line, and your cabin number in the other. I also was able to put the words "On board credit" I received an e-mail saying that it had been credited to my on board account. If you do not use the full amount, you get a refund the last day.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:25 PM
Admiral

One other thing to consider..
When calling your credit card company you might want to set a limit for your card. I use an american express that basically has no limit and I set a $5,000 limit just in case..
After the cruise I set it back to normal.
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

While we are talking about Credit cards, let me remind those going to Mexico. Discover has not caught on down there. You might find someone to take it, but I have not been able to.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
While we are talking about Credit cards, let me remind those going to Mexico. Discover has not caught on down there. You might find someone to take it, but I have not been able to.

Really! That is suprising...
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:09 PM
Admiral

My bank always calls me if the debit card is used out of state. I appreciate that.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
My bank always calls me if the debit card is used out of state. I appreciate that.

Did you ask them to do that or do they just do it?
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to cana57

I love the fun ship dollars thing!! My gf's and me joked about forming a vacation cruise club for our annual girls trip but this idea is even better....

Carnival Imagination 5/4/06
Carnival Fantasy 9/30/06
Carnival Inspiration 5/3/07
Carnival Triumph 10/13/07
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Passenger

Yes! Notify your credit card companies, and let them know the charges may be from lots of places. My card company got suspicious, because I had charges from Wyoming, where we live, Nevada, where we met my inlaws, California where we docked, Panama, where the ship is registered, and Mexico, where we visited. They tried to call, but I was on the cruise ship with no cell service, so they shut down my cards. We had a tense 24 hours with no access to our card on the way home!
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Admiral

I also agree about calling your credit card company. We had our card restricted on our most recent trip to Disney. Luckily the front desk called our room when we were in it to let us know about the restriction. I called my CC company and they stated that the shut it off until I called due to the charges coming from Florida. I live in Massachusetts. I appreciated the concern and security they showed. After verifying me they took the restriction off the card.

Also, I would call your bank if you use your debit card. I work in a bank and we have shut off debit cards when we see numerous charges from out of the country on a card.
Old June 13th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Admiral

also, make sure your credit cards will not expire during your trip!

Old June 13th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyDeeDee
Yes! Notify your credit card companies, and let them know the charges may be from lots of places. My card company got suspicious, because I had charges from Wyoming, where we live, Nevada, where we met my inlaws, California where we docked, Panama, where the ship is registered, and Mexico, where we visited. They tried to call, but I was on the cruise ship with no cell service, so they shut down my cards. We had a tense 24 hours with no access to our card on the way home!
I had a credit card shut down on me b/c I had some out of the ordinary (in their view) internet purchases (less than $10). As soon as I found out, I closed this particular account. This purchase was made by me to refill a prescription through the prescription mail service using my credit card. The credit card issuer claimed to have tried to notify me and when I didn't answer the phone, they put a freeze on my card. WHAT!!!! I closed the account the same day. That is way too cautious for my taste b/c I do travel. I do not believe that I should have to "notify" my credit card company when and where I travel. If their fraud department gets jittery, they can place an "ID" hold on all purchases which means I have to present ID before the purchase is approved or place a reasonable limit on amount of each individual purchase. I have also driven up and down the entire eastern seaboard several times. When I am moving from state to state (GA - NY), my credit card companies usually add an ID hold which means I can't purchase gas at the pump without going into the cashier and showing my ID. When I finally got to my destination, the hold was removed. A company that would complete shut the card down b/c the purchase is outside of my norm is not one that I would feel comfortable with using. The purpose of a credit card is to have buying power when and where you need it.

I always used credit cards for my cruises both on and off the ship. I do not "notify" my credit card company that I am going out of town and have never had a problem re: cruise. The initial hold by the cruisehsip should alert the credit card company that you will be moving from location to location.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
Another way is to buy Fun ship dollars, sold on the Carnival web site. Instead of having them mailed to your home, put your booking number in one line, and your cabin number in the other. I also was able to put the words "On board credit" I received an e-mail saying that it had been credited to my on board account. If you do not use the full amount, you get a refund the last day.
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Ibcruzin' - Bad idea my friend. Always contact your credit card company when you go out of your area. You are aware of the hundreds of thousands of reports of credit card theft, identity theft I take it?
Did you know your own local Walmart, Food shops, etc can get the info right off your card without you even knowing it? All your information; Name, address, SS# & all personal info is stored right on that black strip on your credit card/debit card. I would hate for you to be a victim.

Also...if you use your card ANYWHERE, always do this. When you get the receipt, make sure it has the XXXX with only the last 4 digits of your credit card showing. If it shows the entire account number, block off everything except the last 4 digits. They don't need your name on a credit card to make a purchase, just the account number & creating a expiration date.

You are really foolish if you think its "not your problem". It's your card - therefore YOUR responsibility. Not the credit card company to keep tabs on your travels.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
Ibcruzin' - Bad idea my friend. Always contact your credit card company when you go out of your area. You are aware of the hundreds of thousands of reports of credit card theft, identity theft I take it?
Did you know your own local Walmart, Food shops, etc can get the info right off your card without you even knowing it? All your information; Name, address, SS# & all personal info is stored right on that black strip on your credit card/debit card. I would hate for you to be a victim.

Also...if you use your card ANYWHERE, always do this. When you get the receipt, make sure it has the XXXX with only the last 4 digits of your credit card showing. If it shows the entire account number, block off everything except the last 4 digits. They don't need your name on a credit card to make a purchase, just the account number & creating a expiration date.

You are really foolish if you think its "not your problem". It's your card - therefore YOUR responsibility. Not the credit card company to keep tabs on your travels.
I don't appreciate being called foolish. That is offensive. Remember it is people like me that keeps people like you employed. It is NOT my card. The card is the property of the issuing institution. I have a responsibility to immediately notify the aforementioned issuing institution as soon as practicable of any unauthorized use. Therein ends my responsibility to wayward purchases. To be honest, IT IS YOUR JOB to keep track!!!! Hello!!!!

I do not consider it my responsibility to keep my credit card company apprised of my movements. I have never done this nor will I start. Whether or not I call a customer rep at my credit card company will not stop any attempts at identity thief. Why?? Because the thief does not know that I have notified the credit card company of my exact location.

Even though this is your line of work, I will educate you on some facts. Most identity/credit card thief are crimes of opportunity and chance. ID/CC thieves have no way of knowing what your available credit line is, what your spending habits are, or what city you make most of your purchases. ID/cc thiefs simply do not do that type of research on any one individual. They get a cc number or a person's personal information to apply for a card and hope for the best. Therefore, "notifying" the credit card company that you are on a cruise for 5 days does not stop anyone from attempting to use your id/cc.

As far as ID thief is concerned, all a person has to do is know any telephone number you have ever had in your name, any street you have ever lived on (not the house number), or even just your first and last name and they can get a wealth of info on you (mostly for free) off of the internet -- more than enough to submit a cc application. Try goggling yourself and see what pops up.

A cc company that shuts down your card simply because you do not answer the phone when it is obvious that your purchases are coming from far off lands, is way too jitter to rely upon when you are abroad. What if you get hurt or suffer some other calamity? The credit card company shuts down on you????? That protects the cc company and leaves you hung out to dry. Unacceptable. Absolutely unacceptable.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Passenger

Personally I prefer, using cash on my Sail & Sign, because I really don't use it that much on board, except mainly for tips and pictures. I really don't drink alcohol that much, so the cash I put on it is good enough for what I am going to do. Last year I used my debit card and Carnival did not release the funds for 3 days after we got back home. No problem though, when you learn different you do different. I spend most of my money in ports. So which ever is better for you. You can be the judge of that.