Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Default JUST GOT BACK FROM CCL LIBERTY ON 6/03/07- REVIEW PART 2

This is part two of my review. It doesn't matter which order your read them.

My Cabin

I was assigned to cabin no. 1426 on the Riviera Deck. It is a Cat 1A which is an inside cabin. It had only 1 twin bed with a bunk hidden in the ceiling. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this cabin. In addition to the twin bed, there was a mini frig, an upholstered arm chair, a small eating table, two closets and the dresser-safe-TV-desk & chair unit. Because there was only the one single bed, there were loads and loads of floor space. This cabin would be great for a single parent traveling with a child, two teens or even two adult friends as long as one didn’t mind using the upper bunk (hidden in ceiling during the day). There was more than enough floor space for two people to get dressed without bumping into each other. My cabin steward was wonderful and very friendly. He remembered my name from the first day. He allowed me to collect my towel animals so that by the end of the cruise I had a complete towel zoo in my cabin. I had a dog, swan, turtle, bear, seal, and an elephant. The bathroom was very nice, quite a nice improvement from the bathrooms on the older ships. The usual amenities were found in the bathroom. A/C in the cabin was good and adjustable. The TV had the capabilities to show your folio account charges, book excursions, check out the dinner menus and order PPV movies ($8.99). Remember this cabin number (there is its twin on the odd numbered hall). 1426 is a great, cheap way to cruise the Liberty. Both my cabin and my Steward get an A+.

The Food

Carnival Liberty had the largest variety of food selection of any cruise I have been on, to date. There are at least 12 different stations in which to get food in the Emeril Dining Room (Buffet). There is a “stir fry to order?, Chinese food, sandwich, pizza, burgers & hot dogs, “region of the day?, fish & chips, as well as carving boards and regular buffet staples. There are at least 4 ice cream stations positioned in the corners of the buffet area. There is also a good sized dessert station. The eating areas are broken up into two separate dining areas, plus there is a second floor dining space. This is where you find the fish and chips spot. All in all, no matter what time of the day, whether at sea or port, the buffet never felt crowded nor did the food look “picked over?. To be honest, I think I preferred the buffet food to the dining rooms offerings. Just my personal taste.

The formal dining rooms were beautiful. I had an 8:30 dining time in the Golden Dining Room. Service was a bit slow at first but it picked up nicely later on in the week. The food was pretty good. Not great but not bad either. I split my meals pretty evenly between the buffet and the various dining rooms.

I also enjoyed Harry’s Supper Club one evening. The food in that venue is delicious and beautifully prepared and presented. It is well worth the $30.

Carnival Liberty’s food offering get an overall A- with the Buffet getting an A and the Dining Room a B.

Camp Carnival

Sorry but I have no small children so I have not take on this program but the parents I spoke to onboard all seemed happy with it and the kids seemed eager to get to camp each day.

My Personal Take on the Carnival Liberty

People can say what they want about Carnival Cruise line and their ships, passengers and zany games. However, cruise once on the Liberty and you will truly come to understand that Carnival “gets it? and “get it right.? They have worked it out to a science. They know how to keep it fun without slipping into trashiness. They know how to make 3,000 plus people feel like they are having the time of their lives without feeling crowded or overwhelmed. I picked the big show in the Venetian so I missed the trio near the Lobby Bar. Oh well. If I opted for a late night movie, I would miss the Piano Man. Well, . . Maybe tomorrow I will get to see the Piano Man. That is how the thinking goes on the Liberty. You are never upset that you missed anything. You are too busy in awe of what you did participate in.

Since I have been back I have been telling people that I just spent 8 days with over 4,100 of the nicest, friendliest, most congenial people ever. This is in great part to the hard work of the 1,100+ staff members who have got this cruise vacation thing down to a science so all of the passengers are all happy, smiling, friendly and just having a good time with little or no worries. They are well pampered, cared for, happy campers.

Add me in that number. Can’t wait to cruise again.

Any questions, ask away. On a scale of 1 to ten, with ten being the highest, I would give this cruise a 9.75. I don’t know if it gets any better.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Captain

IBCRUZIN';
Thank you so much for the informative review of the Liberty. This is one ship we have talked about cruising on in the future. I am glad you had a good cruise. I know you will have lots of of good info. for everyone.
Thanks Again.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old June 4th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Admiral

I was on this cruise also and found all food venues remarkably good and I tried them all (including the chocolate buffet) except for Harry's. My only negative comments would be the lack of dark beer available, the C.D. was not the best and Antigua and Tortola were dirty. I was looking forward to these two ports but was very disappointed in both. There was garbage everywhere...the streets, hanging in the trees, beaches, etc., abandoned cars and boats, livestock walking aimlessly in the streets. If you stop at these ports, probably the best thing to do would be a water activity or beach.
Old June 4th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
I was on this cruise also and found all food venues remarkably good and I tried them all (including the chocolate buffet) except for Harry's. My only negative comments would be the lack of dark beer available, the C.D. was not the best and Antigua and Tortola were dirty. I was looking forward to these two ports but was very disappointed in both. There was garbage everywhere...the streets, hanging in the trees, beaches, etc., abandoned cars and boats, livestock walking aimlessly in the streets. If you stop at these ports, probably the best thing to do would be a water activity or beach.
I agree re: Antigua but Tortola was beautiful. At least the part that I saw. Antigua is a "stay on the boat" port.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree about Antigua, "stay on the boat is the truth". People talk so highly of Antigua, but I thought that island was very dirty especially were all the shops are.
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Beginner

Did you get to take any pictures in and around the ship?
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sila
Did you get to take any pictures in and around the ship?
Believe it or not, I took not one picture. The only pictures I took were of my cabin and my towel zoo with my cellphone.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Wonder review!!!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Admiral

Makes me want to go get on the ship.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 5th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Passenger

We are going 7/29. Can't wait!

Old June 7th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: JUST GOT BACK FROM CCL LIBERTY ON 6/03/07- REVIEW PART 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
This is part two of my review. It doesn't matter which order your read them.

My Cabin

I was assigned to cabin no. 1426 on the Riviera Deck. It is a Cat 1A which is an inside cabin. It had only 1 twin bed with a bunk hidden in the ceiling. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this cabin. In addition to the twin bed, there was a mini frig, an upholstered arm chair, a small eating table, two closets and the dresser-safe-TV-desk & chair unit. Because there was only the one single bed, there were loads and loads of floor space. This cabin would be great for a single parent traveling with a child, two teens or even two adult friends as long as one didn’t mind using the upper bunk (hidden in ceiling during the day). There was more than enough floor space for two people to get dressed without bumping into each other. My cabin steward was wonderful and very friendly. He remembered my name from the first day. He allowed me to collect my towel animals so that by the end of the cruise I had a complete towel zoo in my cabin. I had a dog, swan, turtle, bear, seal, and an elephant. The bathroom was very nice, quite a nice improvement from the bathrooms on the older ships. The usual amenities were found in the bathroom. A/C in the cabin was good and adjustable. The TV had the capabilities to show your folio account charges, book excursions, check out the dinner menus and order PPV movies ($8.99). Remember this cabin number (there is its twin on the odd numbered hall). 1426 is a great, cheap way to cruise the Liberty. Both my cabin and my Steward get an A+.

The Food

Carnival Liberty had the largest variety of food selection of any cruise I have been on, to date. There are at least 12 different stations in which to get food in the Emeril Dining Room (Buffet). There is a “stir fry to order?, Chinese food, sandwich, pizza, burgers & hot dogs, “region of the day?, fish & chips, as well as carving boards and regular buffet staples. There are at least 4 ice cream stations positioned in the corners of the buffet area. There is also a good sized dessert station. The eating areas are broken up into two separate dining areas, plus there is a second floor dining space. This is where you find the fish and chips spot. All in all, no matter what time of the day, whether at sea or port, the buffet never felt crowded nor did the food look “picked over?. To be honest, I think I preferred the buffet food to the dining rooms offerings. Just my personal taste.

The formal dining rooms were beautiful. I had an 8:30 dining time in the Golden Dining Room. Service was a bit slow at first but it picked up nicely later on in the week. The food was pretty good. Not great but not bad either. I split my meals pretty evenly between the buffet and the various dining rooms.

I also enjoyed Harry’s Supper Club one evening. The food in that venue is delicious and beautifully prepared and presented. It is well worth the $30.

Carnival Liberty’s food offering get an overall A- with the Buffet getting an A and the Dining Room a B.

Camp Carnival

Sorry but I have no small children so I have not take on this program but the parents I spoke to onboard all seemed happy with it and the kids seemed eager to get to camp each day.

My Personal Take on the Carnival Liberty

People can say what they want about Carnival Cruise line and their ships, passengers and zany games. However, cruise once on the Liberty and you will truly come to understand that Carnival “gets it? and “get it right.? They have worked it out to a science. They know how to keep it fun without slipping into trashiness. They know how to make 3,000 plus people feel like they are having the time of their lives without feeling crowded or overwhelmed. I picked the big show in the Venetian so I missed the trio near the Lobby Bar. Oh well. If I opted for a late night movie, I would miss the Piano Man. Well, . . Maybe tomorrow I will get to see the Piano Man. That is how the thinking goes on the Liberty. You are never upset that you missed anything. You are too busy in awe of what you did participate in.

Since I have been back I have been telling people that I just spent 8 days with over 4,100 of the nicest, friendliest, most congenial people ever. This is in great part to the hard work of the 1,100+ staff members who have got this cruise vacation thing down to a science so all of the passengers are all happy, smiling, friendly and just having a good time with little or no worries. They are well pampered, cared for, happy campers.

Add me in that number. Can’t wait to cruise again.

Any questions, ask away. On a scale of 1 to ten, with ten being the highest, I would give this cruise a 9.75. I don’t know if it gets any better.
Hey, welcome back. Great review. Can't wait to your next review. I read in your review about the 1A rooms and the Rievera Decks. I'm going to try them and see. What makes sense to me is being in the middle of the Deck. I never thought about staying there. Mary49
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Passenger

Default Just Got Back From Liberty

I can't believe you got the room we gave up a couple of weeks before the cruise. The person who booked our cruise said for us to try for the cheapest guarantee room , because she just knew we would be upgraded. Well guess what? We weren't. We got your room. It was my husband and myself, so I had to pay $300 more for 2 beds on the floor. We ended up in room number 1394. We had a great cruise. I am so sad it is over. Jill
Old June 8th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Just Got Back From Liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfan
I can't believe you got the room we gave up a couple of weeks before the cruise. The person who booked our cruise said for us to try for the cheapest guarantee room , because she just knew we would be upgraded. Well guess what? We weren't. We got your room. It was my husband and myself, so I had to pay $300 more for 2 beds on the floor. We ended up in room number 1394. We had a great cruise. I am so sad it is over. Jill
Never book a Cat. 1A guarantee for a couple. There are a few Cat. 1A's with two beds but you have to find out the exact configuration of the Cat. 1A before you accept it. I was Cat. 1A guarantee also and did not get an upgrade. It is 50/50 chance and there is no way to know which way it will go.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:37 PM
First Mate

I just wanted to mention that i was on the deck of the Sensation next to your ship in Freeport. I had a real treat because while i was eating lunch on the back of the ship the Liberty was pulling out to leave. I videotaped the departure. The Liberty was absolutely stunning!

MAY 2011 - CARNIVAL GLORY
MAY 2010 - CARNIVAL DREAM
MAY 2009 CARNIVAL FASCINATION
APR 2008 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JUN-2007 CARNIVAL SENSATION
NOV-2006 CARNIVAL LEGEND
APR-2006 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JAN -2000 CARNIVAL IMAGINATION
Old June 11th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for the great review.

We are sailing the Liberty in just a little over 2 weeks. Can't wait.

Have to get those bags out of the basement and get them loaded.

We are sailing the 6 day tour to the Western and are so ready to get out to sea.

Your review was just what we needed to get us even more excited about our trip.

Thanks again.

Safe sailing.

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:15 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the great review! My husband and I are on the Liberty taking the Eastern Caribbean cruise in September. I can hardly wait! I have booked the Sonny Liston tour in St. Thomas. You suggested staying on the ship in Antigua. Is there anything you would recommend for Tortola? What you told me about the Baths was scary!
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsmom
Thanks for the great review! My husband and I are on the Liberty taking the Eastern Caribbean cruise in September. I can hardly wait! I have booked the Sonny Liston tour in St. Thomas. You suggested staying on the ship in Antigua. Is there anything you would recommend for Tortola? What you told me about the Baths was scary!
Do not stay on the ship in Antigua. Go to the beach. Just understand that Antigua is not a "pretty" country nor a prosperous one. Their beaches are very nice though. I went to Turner Point Beach. It is relatively small and very simple with just a lounge chair vendor and a very small restaurant/bar. Sitting on that beach, the scenery would remind you of one of the Corona Beer commercials.

Also, in the scheme of things, Antigua is relatively safe. I felt safe the entire time I was there. There is a large shopping area right by the port.

I did the Sonny Liston tour in St. Thomas. The shopping in the morning is good b/c their downtown shopping area is so nice. Store after store after store. I wandered in and out of the shops and up and down the various alleys and never felt threatened in any way.

This last visit to St. Thomas, I went to Maegan's Bay Beach. Very very nice. Again, small restaurant, swim shop and lounge chair vendor. Nice safe very clean beach. This beach charges $4 for admittance but there is a lifeguard on duty.

Tortorla is now one of my most favorite islands. In a word, it is probably the prettiest of all of the islands I have been to. Very lush and green, mountainous with many curvy roads. The various scenery as you make your way up the mountain is breathtaking. There are places halfway up the mountain where you can stop and look down into the port. On the day I was there, there was two Carnival ships in port. The view afforded me of the two big Carnival ships surrounded by smaller yachts, sailboats, fishing boats, etc. in the water was like something off of a postcard.

In Tortola, I went to Cane Garden Bay beach. Absolutely perfect. Very clean, very soft off-white sand, blue blue water, almost no waves. It is situated in a cove so you are surrounded on three sides by green lush mountains and on the other side by water with the yachts, sailboats, etc. dotting the water. Very pleasing visually. On Cane Garden Bay beach there are several small restaurants (food is good and well priced), a small vendor's market, a wagon that sells alcohol beverages and finger food and men walking up and down the beach selling coconuts filled with alcohol (flavored rum) for $5. The beach chairs are already set out. You just sit in the one you want and a young lady will eventually come by to collect $5. There are also places to rent water toys.

You will have a grand old time.

Happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 21st, 2007, 12:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ara0926

Who was your CD?
Carnival Glory 2010 St. John NB Canada
Carnival Legend 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Spirit 2009 Alaska
Carnival Splendor 2008 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 2008 Nassau
Carnival Inspiration 2008 Cozumel
Carnival Glory 2007 Western Caribbean
Elation 2006 Eastern Caribbean
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ara0926
Who was your CD?
I don't remember. Heavy set guy. Didn't see him too much.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the review. My wife & I are going in September on the Liberty. Looking forward to it. We are cruising to the Keys, Jamaica & Grand Cayman.

Barney
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Passenger

Going 7/29. Can't wait!

Old June 27th, 2007, 12:44 AM
First Mate

IBCRUZIN*,

Thanks for the great reviews (Parts 1 and 2) of the Liberty. An eight day would be so wonderful. I am glad you had a great cruise. Thanks for sharing the information.
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward