CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Wait time for passports? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/334234-wait-time-passports.html)

ferrangi June 4th, 2007 06:06 PM

Wait time for passports?
 
Hello everyone, it's been a while, but I'm back.
I know that the wait for a passport is longer than usual, but can anyone tell me what the normal wait time would be?
Has anyone experienced much difficulty getting their passport? (I know, that was probably a silly ??)
Thanks

kk41 June 4th, 2007 06:24 PM

Although the website said 6 weeks when I applied, it took 13-14 weeks to get mine!

skymaster June 4th, 2007 08:03 PM

I was worried about getting mine back, so I paid for expidited service. I had the new passport in 12 DAYS! :shock: I don't know if it's always that quick with expidited or not, but I was in total shock, and very happy to get it so soon.
Good luck.

Ken

UConn1 June 4th, 2007 08:08 PM

I also expedited my renewal (last month) and got it back in 14 days. I wasn't willing to take the risk, so the extra $60 was well spent for my peace of mind.

Jodi

jackiesbooks June 4th, 2007 08:08 PM

A friend at work just applied and it took 12 weeks!

ferrangi June 4th, 2007 09:33 PM

Thanks everyone for your wonderful responses. I will keep that in mind. I suppose I'm going to have to pay extra to expedite it. I don't where the time went.
It seemed like my cruise was taking forever, but now it's just around the corner.

Fern June 4th, 2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferrangi
Thanks everyone for your wonderful responses. I will keep that in mind. I suppose I'm going to have to pay extra to expedite it. I don't where the time went.
It seemed like my cruise was taking forever, but now it's just around the corner.

I've read that it's now taking 17 weeks :shock: for a new passport! Expediting may help, but I'd be sure to have a certified birth certificate for cruising this year, just in case!

thecruisequeen June 4th, 2007 11:06 PM

I got mine in 6 weeks. My friend had to leave the country asap for her mom who is ill and got her passport in 5 days with a private company but it cost her about $200. :shock:

:D :) LOL 8) 8) 8) :wink: :wink:

Ro June 4th, 2007 11:22 PM

My sister waited more than 2 months and it was getting really close to the cruise.

wakedreams June 5th, 2007 08:49 AM

my boyfriend got his yesterday, it took 3 months. "Normally" -- in 2005 when I got mine, it took 3 weeks.

ferrangi June 5th, 2007 04:22 PM

Well, I've come to the conclusion that spending the extra money to expedite it will be worth it, even though technically I don't think we need a passport for this particular cruise. (unless something happens and we have to be transported off the ship).
Anyway, buying a passport now, will give us an excuse to go on alot more vacations... *smile*

PERRY4OU June 5th, 2007 05:13 PM

IF YOU DON'T HAVE A PASSPORT, WHAT DOES THE CERTIFIED BIRTH CERTIFICATE DO FOR YOU? IS IT REQUIRED? (Opps, soory about the caps).

adias.angel June 5th, 2007 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PERRY4OU
IF YOU DON'T HAVE A PASSPORT, WHAT DOES THE CERTIFIED BIRTH CERTIFICATE DO FOR YOU? IS IT REQUIRED? (Opps, soory about the caps).

Yes the birth certificate will prove who you are. You must have one if you don't have a passport. At the end of the year you will have to have a passport, no more birth certificates will be accepted.

PERRY4OU June 6th, 2007 10:57 AM

OK, I am debating wether or not to send in our passport applications at this time. I thought that with the expidition process we could have time but it's looking more and more like that is not a possibility. I assume that the wait time will be as everyone has indicated, long...... What about a curior service? Anyone use these? Cost's associated?

This cruise has been one last minute decision after another, and we do not currently have passports (although we do not need them for this cruise). I guess that is the price you pay for last minute traveling.....

tweetybird June 6th, 2007 11:57 AM

I am getting a little worried. My family and I are leaving on July 15, 2007 and I am still waiting for my daughters passport. We went in April to apply for her passport and we still have not received anything yet. I know you can use a birth certificate, but we had to submit it with the passport.

Is there a website that I can go on or a phone number to see what the status is and when it should be arriving? Please help, I am getting really nervous.

jarhead June 6th, 2007 03:13 PM

We were told on Monday 12-14 weeks.

Irish Shark June 6th, 2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarhead
We were told on Monday 12-14 weeks.

That's a fact and it might get longer as the last minute folks apply.

That is what is happening now. Folks had pleanty of time to get a passport, but waited for some reason. Now they complain about the time it takes to get one. :roll:

SamDog June 6th, 2007 03:29 PM

We leave 6/18 on the Inspiration. We applied for passports 3/13 and after 12 weeks as of yesterday, have not yet received them. The Passport website is "http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/npic/npic_898.html". Which you can navigate to a 'Check the status' area and find a generic "... is being processed" type message.

If you are traveling within two weeks, you can call them at 1-877-487-2778 to talk to a live person. Have patience thru the LENGTHY messages and prompts, but you will get there.

As of this morning ours are 'waiting for a completion date and to be shipped'. Which apparently means within the next couple of days.

Passport requirements and information can be found at the 'travel.state.gov' site.

PERRY4OU June 6th, 2007 04:05 PM

Any of you guys use the "expedition" process, or are most of these just regular with no addition fee. I'm paying the extra bucks and crossing my fingers. I spoke with a representitive at the US passport agency, and he told me "4 weeks - but our supervisors are telling us to tell customers 6 weeks" (again for the expidited method).

I'm sure it will take longer than 6 weeks as I am not optomistic on this one....

ferrangi June 6th, 2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PERRY4OU
OK, I am debating wether or not to send in our passport applications at this time. I thought that with the expidition process we could have time but it's looking more and more like that is not a possibility. I assume that the wait time will be as everyone has indicated, long...... What about a curior service? Anyone use these? Cost's associated?

This cruise has been one last minute decision after another, and we do not currently have passports (although we do not need them for this cruise). I guess that is the price you pay for last minute traveling.....

According to the first few responses, expeditng your passport only takes about 2 to 3 weeks to get it back.

ferrangi June 6th, 2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetybird
I am getting a little worried. My family and I are leaving on July 15, 2007 and I am still waiting for my daughters passport. We went in April to apply for her passport and we still have not received anything yet. I know you can use a birth certificate, but we had to submit it with the passport.

Is there a website that I can go on or a phone number to see what the status is and when it should be arriving? Please help, I am getting really nervous.

Try this link...
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...atus_2567.html

Dorothy June 6th, 2007 04:31 PM

Tweetybird,

If I were you, I would send off for a certified copy of your birth certificate. If you ask real nice, they will send you a copy within a day or two.

That way, if you don't have your passport back (and your original birth certificate) you will have a certified birth certificate from the agency that issued it, and that will be enough.

I lost my birth certificate many, many years ago, and before I got my passport I had to get a certified copy.

Look on the bright side, you'll have that passport for your next cruise! Good luck and let us know what happens.

dorothy

kookylabooka June 6th, 2007 11:04 PM

Applied in April,paid the expidite fee and had it in my mailbox 3 weeks from the application date.

BrwnEyedGirl June 6th, 2007 11:17 PM

We applied for ours on April 9th. Waiting patiently. Took a month to show it was received on the travel.state.gov website. But due to site problems we can't track beyond that. It does say that if you are traveling within 2 weeks to call. But you will have a wait. I'm hoping because we put down our travel date that ours will be here in the next week or two. Otherwise we will travel with our 'spare' birth certificates.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1