Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Insurance and Hurricanes

OK OK...I'm just plum lazy tonight and can read my brochure but know you guys will answer my question. We are booked on a cruise in September (Fantasy out of New Orleans). With the predictions this year - it really scares me. I do have insurance already -- does it cover if we have to cancel due to a hurricane coming our way? Anyone know? Or had anything like this happen to you? Thanks!!
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Yep, I think it would cover you if the cruise is cancelled due to an impending hurricane. I've got a cruise scheduled in October, and am thinking about buying insurance for that one, (guess I'm getting more cautious in my old age 8) ) even though we sail every year in September or October, and (knock wood) have NEVER missed a cruise. Yes, we've come close a couple of times,,,have missed ports,,,,but never missed a cruise.

See y'all aboard,

Ken
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

When you missed a port - what did you do? Go to a different port?? I only had a problem ONE time when we came back from Alasksa -- we made it back the DAY before a hurricane mandatory evacuation! I just pray one doesn't come and I have to leave then. I would be so worried about my house, family, etc etc. Then again -- can't stay anyway, huh? Might as well have fun in the carribbean!
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:07 PM
First Mate

I'm booked for a July 9th Bahamas cruise - as I couldn't get my free frequent flyer flights out in June as I originally hoped to. I have been told that if there IS a hurricane either the cruise would be cancelled or, morely likely, it would simply be re-routed to a place where the hurricane is not going to go. Any excursions you already paid for would be credited to your onboard account. Travel insurance is STRONGLY recommended during hurricane season so you will be reimbursed in the event a cruise is actually caancelled.
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

They do not guarantee ports. They will try there best to get you to one or the other, but no guarantees.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:31 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
When you missed a port - what did you do? Go to a different port?? I only had a problem ONE time when we came back from Alasksa -- we made it back the DAY before a hurricane mandatory evacuation! I just pray one doesn't come and I have to leave then. I would be so worried about my house, family, etc etc. Then again -- can't stay anyway, huh? Might as well have fun in the carribbean!
Cheryl -

Having experienced this issue, let me relate what happened.

We were booked on the last Caribbean cruise of the Smokefree Paradise back in August 2004. As we flew down to Ft Lauderdale, Hurricane Francis was churning its way westward in the South Atlantic. The cruise was supposed to be Nassau, the Dominican Republic and St. Thomas.

When we got on board, there was a letter on the bed advising us that they were keeping abreast of the situation and would further advise us the next day after our port call in Nassau.

When we got back to our room after spending time in Nassau, there was a letter stating that, for reasons of safety, Carnival was changing the remaining itinerary of the cruise and we would be going to Ocho Rios and Cozumel instead.

We proceeded to those ports and even got an extra day at sea because Miami was still closed on the day that we were to return - the extra day at sea actually led to one of the funniest sites I have ever seen.

When we left Cozumel on Friday night, the Captain announced that we would be proceeding back towards Miami, but would not proceed past a certain longitude - it turned out to be roughly 90 miles north of Havana.

That night, my wife and I went out for a walk on deck - in seemingly every point of the compass, there were the lights of a ship, mostly cruise ships, sailing in a big circle. It reminded me of the wagon trains of the old west - how funny.

JK
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory