Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:47 AM
First Mate

Default BEST ISLAND TO BUY LIQUOR????

My family and I are going to the following islands, can anyone please tell me which island is the cheapest to buy liquor on and where?

1). San Juan Puerto Rico
2). St. Thomas
3). Dominica
4). Barbados
5). St. Lucia
6). Antigua

My guess would be Puerto Rico or St. Thomas, but not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tweetybird
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Default Re: BEST ISLAND TO BUY LIQUOR????

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird
My family and I are going to the following islands, can anyone please tell me which island is the cheapest to buy liquor on and where?

1). San Juan Puerto Rico
2). St. Thomas
3). Dominica
4). Barbados
5). St. Lucia
6). Antigua

My guess would be Puerto Rico or St. Thomas, but not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tweetybird
I think San Juan has the best prices but St. Thomas is real close in cost and has a larger selection. There are several large liquor stores in the downtown shopping area of St. Thomas. In San Juan, the largest liquor I have found is on the second floor of the Carnival pier. There prices are very good.

Cheapest smokes are in San Juan.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:09 AM
First Mate

Hello I B Cruzin

I see that you are from New York City also. I am from Queens, NY and just read your post about the Destiny cruise, is it really that bad?
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Hello I B Cruzin

I see that you are from New York City also. I am from Queens, NY and just read your post about the Destiny cruise, is it really that bad?
The ports on the Southern Caribbean Itinerary almost make it worth suffering through the Destiny experience. Almost.

Yes, for some people their experience was even worse.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Yeoman

Default All things as comparable in price?

Can you give us some price comparisons as to how much cheaper?

If St Thomas and San Juan have the best liquor prices so do they also offer the best prices for other items you will buy on the island?

Thanks again, Carla
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Hello I B Cruzin I see that you are from New York City also. I am from Queens, NY and just read your post about the Destiny cruise, is it really that bad?
OMG! I just read your post about the destiny. My heart was just breaking for you as I read it. *hug*

Was it only on the ship that people were rude or while you were in PR also? I am trying to figure out where the hostility comes from. Carla
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Admiral

A. H. Riise, St. Thomas VI.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by adias.angel
Quote:
Hello I B Cruzin I see that you are from New York City also. I am from Queens, NY and just read your post about the Destiny cruise, is it really that bad?
OMG! I just read your post about the destiny. My heart was just breaking for you as I read it. *hug*

Was it only on the ship that people were rude or while you were in PR also? I am trying to figure out where the hostility comes from. Carla
I didn't have the same experiences while on Destiny. On my cruise, it seemed like everyone was European. *shrugs* It was the first and best cruise I've ever been on.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: All things as comparable in price?

Quote:
Can you give us some price comparisons as to how much cheaper?

If St Thomas and San Juan have the best liquor prices so do they also offer the best prices for other items you will buy on the island?

Thanks again, Carla
I don't generally shop for other things. I stick mainly to the sinful items (cigarettes, liquor, etc.) The only other things that I buy on each island are keychains and kitchen magnets and island by island the prices are about the same.

I can't remember what I paid for each liquor items. Also, I don't really drink very much in my regular life and at this point, I have so many full sized bottles (1 ltr) of liquor, I just purchase the cute smaller bottles (maybe a pint) that are unique and usually only available on these islands. They are different than what you get in the states because these bottles are the smaller "mini me" to the larger bottles with the same shape and color as the full sized versions. I got the cutest little bottle of Grand Manier for $8.95 and a midget bottle of Johnny Walker Black for less than $10, 1 pint (1/2 pint?) of Tangueray Gin was $3.95. 1 pint of Mango flavored Malibu Rum was $3.95. On Antigua, I purchased a small (1/2 pint maybe) of their island rum for $3.00. I have an excellent collection of unique liquors in my bar setup at home. All kinds of stuff.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:

The people on the island of Puerto Rico are fine on land. I was just there last week and had no problem. There is something about that ship and the preceived notion that it is there for the pleasure of the Hispanic community exclusively. I am sure I could write a thesis on what brings about the open, unjustified hostility towards "mainlanders" but I won't bother. It is far easier for me to stay off of that ship.

However, to be fair, since it is such a port intensive itinerary, you are not on the ship that much so the impact may be less severe for someone else. Also, if you are traveling with a large group that is totally self-contained and are not prone to partake in the activities and festivities on the ship, go to bed very early, etc., you may not notice the things that I did as much. I travel solo and like to party so I am up and about on the ship from sunrise until the sun rises again. Also, I am very bubbly and friendly so I talk to more people than the average passenger.

It was not just my experience but other people's as well that mirrored my own. There was on one Caucasion honeymoon couple on the ship who had spent more money then they had to fly from Oklahoma to PR for their honeymoon cruise. Well the locals (as we called them) on the ship seemed to single them out and they couldn't get a break. I felt so bad for them. The young wife said to me one day, "is it because I am white that they are all so mean to me?" She was close to tears. No one has the right to treat anyone else like that. Inexcusable.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to visusie

I'm sorry to hear that some people have had a bad experience with the locals from PR. I've been on the Destiny several times, which sailed out of PR each time. I have to say that some of the locals from PR were nice and some can get rude. Same goes from other travelers on the ship- some were nice and some were rude. I didn't find the people from PR any much nicer or worse than travelers on board that came from other parts of the states. The people from PR can be quite a nice bunch if you give them the same respect you would give anyone else.
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Passenger

BTW- In all honesty- I think that liquor prices are the same in the store in PR that you board the ship from, as opposed to other stores in STT. Otherwise, all other stores in PR can get a lot more costly than the ones in STT.
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by visusie
I'm sorry to hear that some people have had a bad experience with the locals from PR. I've been on the Destiny several times, which sailed out of PR each time. I have to say that some of the locals from PR were nice and some can get rude. Same goes from other travelers on the ship- some were nice and some were rude. I didn't find the people from PR any much nicer or worse than travelers on board that came from other parts of the states. The people from PR can be quite a nice bunch if you give them the same respect you would give anyone else.

Therein lies the attitude of the PR locals. The preceived notion that they are not getting the same treatment that other people get so therefore, they are "pre-justified" in being rude "because they just know everyone is going to be rude to them so they will be rude first."

Thanks. You just illustrated my point perfectly.

I have written two reviews this week on two different ships. Polar opposition experience.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 6th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Passenger

Look- I'm not here to argue with anyone. Seems to be what you are "cruising" for. Hey, lighten up and let's just look forward to our cruises.

Let's all play nice- okay? I don't know how you could take my words the wrong way and have it seem like something they were not meant to be. I'm the type that gets along with everyone. Cheers!
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by visusie
Look- I'm not here to argue with anyone. Seems to be what you are "cruising" for. Hey, lighten up and let's just look forward to our cruises.

Let's all play nice- okay? I don't know how you could take my words the wrong way and have it seem like something they were not meant to be. I'm the type that gets along with everyone. Cheers!
You are right of course. This is why I don't respond to most Destiny questions. Just thinking about the state of that ship/itinerary always puts me in a state. :evil:

Group hug!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes