CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Yacht Haven Grande (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/334325-yacht-haven-grande.html)

honeymooners June 6th, 2007 02:11 PM

Yacht Haven Grande

Can you walk from the cruise ship in St. Thomas to Yacht Haven Grande shopping area. Also, we are in port from 7:00 to 6:00, when should be get back to the ship?

visusie June 6th, 2007 02:17 PM

The New Yacht Haven Grande is only about a 2 minute walk from the cruise ship dock where Carnival docks. I believe the ship sets sail at 5:00PM so you would have to be back on board by 4:30pm. Is this your first time to St.Thomas? First on Carnival Destiny?

honeymooners June 6th, 2007 02:24 PM

Actually, we are on the Miracle, in St. Thomas from 7:00-6:00. Yes this is our first crusie, we can't wait.

visusie June 6th, 2007 02:29 PM

Oh sorry, I thought you were going to be on the Destiny which comes here too. Actually there are several Carnival ships which dock here. I happen to live inSTT. Why were you specifically interest in YHG? (Just curious). It's really designed for the mega yachts.

honeymooners June 6th, 2007 02:54 PM

I heard it was nice for shopping and eating, can you tell me a little about it. Thanks

visusie June 6th, 2007 02:59 PM

It's VERY new so not much shopping there, yet. For shopping you may as well shop at the stores located on the cruise ship dock-It's the same prices (if not cheaper there), than the stores Downtown. As for eating, don't know why you'd want to pay and eat at one of the places at YHG. The food is nothing to really speak of. It's not like they specialize in local fare, if that's what you were looking for. It's so close to the ship, you may as well eat onboard and save some dollars.

honeymooners June 6th, 2007 03:10 PM

Thanks for being so helpful :) So we are going on a tour for two hours at Magen's bay, than downtown for touring and shopping, we finish at 2:30 and it ends downtown. We were thinking of getting a cab from downtown back to the ship, how much would that cost for two people? I also heard about a mountain top or somthing like that near the cruise ship, can you tell me anything about that. Thanks again.

visusie June 6th, 2007 03:34 PM

I *think* they charge $5.00 pp one way from DT to cruise ship. It may be higher now though, that was like 4 years ago. You can walk it in about 20 minutes walking at a regular stride (not fast and not slow). For the mountain top, you must be referring to The tram-ride and Paradise Point. It's only about a 5 minute walk from the cruise ship. It's a really nice tram way ride (kinda like a ski-lift) that takes you up to Paradise Point. It's a beautiful view from up there. Some nice shops and a couple of good places to eat or have a soda or try a mud-slide or frozen drink. Magens is a great beach in general. Voted one of the top 10 beaches in the world by National Geographic mag. If you just wanted to swim & soak up the sun- Magen's is good. For snorkeling, I would suggest Sapphire. Both beaches also have watersports things as well as restaurants, bars and shops.