Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Passenger

Default Dress Shorts?

Is it appropriate for an adult to wear dress shorts in the dining room on a non-formal night? What about teens wearing shorts in the dining room?

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Captain

The official "dress code" says no shorts in the dining room period. It is supposed to be Resort Casual . ie slacks, skirts etc. I wore Hawaian style shirts a couple of times on regular nights. I saw many others doing the same. This is what i saw on the Glory in Feb.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old June 6th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Passenger

The dining room is white table cloth with so much silverware set on the table that one can only deduce a formal dinner setting. The lights are low and the service is quiet and professional. Attentive waiters will place your napkin on your lap and tend to your every need. On informal nights, dressed in my casual cruise wear, I felt under dressed in this formal setting. Anything less than dressy casual looked out of place to me. I feel when we all dressed in our very best did we match the atmosphere the the waiters exuded.

Just a note here:
We got to know the dining room as a formal place. Don't get me wrong, we had a great time with plenty of conversation and laughs but we were all on our very best behavior and used our very best table manners. One night, I returned to retrieve my sweater I had left on my chair. By then, everyone had left, the lights were up to bright, music was loud and the waiters were busy at their clean up work....singing, talking loudly and laughing while doing their post-meal jobs....so I know they know how to have fun!!
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123
Default Re: Dress Shorts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk246
Is it appropriate for an adult to wear dress shorts in the dining room on a non-formal night? What about teens wearing shorts in the dining room?
I would shy away from shorts in the formal dining room except for the 1st night. The 1st night you can wear what you have on when you board the ship.
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Admiral

I don't think I'd try it. Best to wear something casual with a nice shirt or blouse on non formal nights.
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Shorts in the dining room are fine for open seating breakfast and lunch but as everyone has said not for dinner, formal or non forrmal. Even if you come on the ship in shorts most cruisers have a pair of slacks in their carryon to change for dinner and the show. It gets cold in the dining room and theater, you might need a light sweater.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:35 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk246
Isn't the concept of dress shorts an oxymoron?
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

There is a such thing as formal shorts now. I don't think they have caught on all over the country, so you might be looked at funny. The same way people were looked at funny when women started wearing long pants on formal night.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Passenger

What I found on my cruise is that there is absolutely something for everyone! No one is forced into doing anything they do not like. If you do not feel like dressing up for formal night(s) there are other eating alternatives that are just as good! I found the foods offered in the Panorama Grill to be awesome! Gourmet pizza (De Chevre Pizza-Mmmm!) and hot sandwiches to die for, ethnic foods were fun to taste-test, and a generous-item salad bar and fancy dessert bar. And then there is always Room Service...What a treat! I think this type of vacation caters to everyone's taste and comfort levels. If you don't feel like dressing up....don't do it. It's your vacation after all.
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

I saw the formal "city shorts" (to the knees) with a dress shirt, vest and heels! She looked absolutely gorgeous and not a bit underdressed! Trust me NO ONE asked her to leave! It was fine!

Melody
Old June 7th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to visusie

I'm not the type that like to get all guzzied up. As much as I would love to just saunter in to dinner wearing my shorts, I don't think it's allowed. If I want to not change for dinner, I would just eat at one of the other meal options (and there are several).

Susie
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Admiral

Bermuda shorts of regulation length along with proper socks and jacket are proper attire when in Bermuda; that is the only place that I have seen shorts permitted for dinner in the dining room.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Passenger

I would shy away from shorts in the formal dining room except for the 1st night. The 1st night you can wear what you have on when you board the ship.[/quote]

are you sure about the first night thing? sure would make sense on the chance everyone didn't get their luggage by dinner time. since we leave in 4 days I would love to know so I'm not worrying.
thanks, carla

travel makes life fun!
our ship sails 6/12/07 for Eastern Caribbean
Hawaii, Diamond Princess 3/17/08
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Admiral

On the first night, the dining room rules are relaxed because not everyone will have received their luggage and whatever you have worn to board will be allowed. BUT, that is the only night the rules don't apply. Shorts are not considered proper attire in the formal dining room in the evening. The only guests I have seen with shorts on are small children. On our last cruise on the Glory, the Maitre d' was stopping all guests who entered the formal dining room wearing shorts, baseball hats, muscle shirts, etc., and suggested they avail themselves of other dining venues on the ship or change their clothes. He also made an announcement regarding proper attire over the loudspeaker.
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Paris Hilton has a pair of formal shorts. They are made of the best black silk money can buy, and yes, in polite society, they are considered formal, with the other formal things to go with it. Most of you when someone says shorts, you think of , cutoffs.

As I said in my other post, I don't think that the rest of the world has caught on to this new trend of wearing shorts as formal, but just like a long pair of black pants, it might take awhile for others to catch on.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Here is my daughter. She wore this outfit with capri shorts that reached the knee. I don't see anything wrong with it, but Southern Girls look good in anything (that was for Marc!)!

Melody

Old June 8th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawson21
I would shy away from shorts in the formal dining room except for the 1st night. The 1st night you can wear what you have on when you board the ship.
are you sure about the first night thing? sure would make sense on the chance everyone didn't get their luggage by dinner time. since we leave in 4 days I would love to know so I'm not worrying.
thanks, carla[/quote]

The 1st night you can wear shorts. (for sure)
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty