Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Passenger

Default Question about color of suit for formal night

Is it OK for men to wear a light suit on formal night? Tan or biege color? My husband has never owned a suit, so we bought one. I really wanted him to get black, but he insisted on the light color instead. I figured if I was going to get him to dress up, I better let him have what he wants. I recently read that men should wear a dark suit on formal night. Is that true? We have never cruised before. For those of you who have, do you remember seeing other men wearing a light colored suit on formal night?
Please help! Our cruise is on June 23rd & I am frantically trying to get things ready.
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Admiral

On formal night, I saw two men dress in tuxes with tails top hats and canes.. One was baby blue.. the other was purple.... OK I laughed. Others not so much amused but they really were in formal wear.... a suits a suit regardless of color. I say go for it as long as your DH is comfortable.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Beginner

Default Formal Dress

A light colored suit will be just fine...our 22 year old son wore just a shirt and tie and slacks and there wasn't a problem...Carnival is rather casual

John M
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:12 PM
First Mate

As long as your husband feels comfortable in what he is wearing, that is fine. It is your vacation, relax and enjoy it.

Have a great time.

Tweetybird
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina
On formal night, I saw two men dress in tuxes with tails top hats and canes.. One was baby blue.. the other was purple.... OK I laughed. Others not so much amused but they really were in formal wear.... a suits a suit regardless of color. I say go for it as long as your DH is comfortable.
I agree he will be fine but I sure have to disagree with 'a suits a suit regardless of color'.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to visusie

I agree with the others- as long as your hubby is comfy and happy! Heck- it IS Carnival, it's great that hes even getting dressed up at all-lol! Carnival is such a laid back ship. So many times I've seen people not bother AT ALL to dress up on formal eves. I think it's all good-as long passengers try to dress up on formal nights, in something other than t-shirts, jeans, or shorts.

susie
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G
Quote:
Originally Posted by dina
I agree he will be fine but I sure have to disagree with 'a suits a suit regardless of color'.
I was kind of joke there. I know the guys I was talking about pulled it off with flair and confidence... go figure... personally.. a regular suit would be nice....

How about one of those "Miami Vice" suits?

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Admiral

I guess I sort of take 'formal night(s)' differently. It is called formal night for that reason, IMHO. I think the purpose is to give a little variety for those who wish to dress to the hilts to do so. I think it is really cool to see everyone in tuxes and ladies dressed to the nines. My last cruise on the Triumph, there were a few wearing sneakers and shorts and such at dinner those nights. I personally think it should be enforced. After all, if one doesn't want to dress formal, just don't go. But my guess is most going on cruises just never get to dress that way in their normal lives. Then those who attend but don't dress formal, just takes away from those who do. But that's just my opinion.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old June 7th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G
I guess I sort of take 'formal night(s)' differently. It is called formal night for that reason, IMHO. I think the purpose is to give a little variety for those who wish to dress to the hilts to do so. I think it is really cool to see everyone in tuxes and ladies dressed to the nines. My last cruise on the Triumph, there were a few wearing sneakers and shorts and such at dinner those nights. I personally think it should be enforced. After all, if one doesn't want to dress formal, just don't go. But my guess is most going on cruises just never get to dress that way in their normal lives. Then those who attend but don't dress formal, just takes away from those who do. But that's just my opinion.

My sentiments exactly.

As evidenced by the many questions on this topic that people post before they cruise..... it is almost universally understood by all before they cruise that there will be at least one formal night on said cruise. If someone elects not to dress for it, that is fine... there are alternatives for meals other than the dining room. However please don't insist that it is your vacation and you will dress as you please (on that night in the dining room) ..... it is also my vacation as well ....but you don't see me walking around the lido deck nude because it is "my vacation".

You knew the rules (or guidelines) when you agreed to them - i.e. booked your cruise. Please standby that agreement.

As to the original post , while i do wear a tux on formal nights , i would also not hesitate to wear a light colored suit. IMO anything below a suit does not fit the definition of formal night.
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Thanks gdtolman. Someone finally agrees with me.
As far as one affording a tux - Our local formal wear rental stores sell tuxes after they have rented them for a while. I bought a complete tux, jacket, pants, ruffle shirt, cumberbun(sp), tie, vest, like new PL shoes, cufflinks, all for $55. All like new. That outfit will last for years since I seldom wear it anywhere else. I would think these stores do the same elsewhere.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:52 PM
First Mate

I bought a new tux at K&G Menswear years ago for $99 - I still take it on the cruises and it still looks absolutely fine.

As for the tuxes (and suits) of a different color - I have seen "suits" of many different colors worn by individuals who carry the color off in an exemplary manner.

What is most interesting is to see the nature of color as it applies to the different cultures of this world - particularly the women. The colorful patterns of the african nations; the saris (sp?) of those from the Indian subcontinent, etc.

To me, the more color, the better - it brightens the night.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Passenger

Thanks for all the input guys. I feel a little less stressed about it now. I really really need this vacation if it will just hurry up and get here!!!!

I am just glad that my DH is actually going to wear a suit of some sort. The only time I have ever seen him in a suit was in a rented tux on the day I married him 15 years ago!

Amy
Old June 9th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Admiral

The lighter color is fine. I once saw a fellow wearing a lime green western suit on formal night.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Just because some folks do not dress FORMAL on a FORMAL night does say it is OK.

Some cruise lines enfore the dress code more than others.

This topic has been posted 100's of times. I think that folks start a thread on this subject is to get the "approval" of other folks on the board. It does not chnage the suggested dress from FORMAL to somehting less.

If you do not care to follow the FORMAL night(s) suggested code, go eat on the mess deck on the fantail.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 9th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Please try not to stress, you are going on a cruise in a couple of weeks. I remember our first one was very special I'm sure yours will be also. Relax, enjoy and have fun. BTW the suit will be fine.
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Passenger

Dear Irish Shark,

I am sorry if my posting this question offended you. I have only been a member of this forum one month. Therefore, I could not have read the "other 100 times this topic was posted." I have never cruised before & simply had a question about something, just like everyone else here. I was not trying to get "approval" or "not follow code" on proper dress. It was not realized that a dark suit was suggested until after we had already bought my husband a light one. That is the reason I asked this question. I was prepared to buy a dark suit if needed. Next time you cruise, come by & say hi. I will be sitting next to the handsome man in his light suit!

Amy
Old June 13th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Passenger

Amy,

I don't believe that Irish Shark was referring to you, but more to the people who don't even try to dress up on formal night...with the "it is my vacation and I'll dress how I want" attitude. The fact that you cared enough to ask about the color of the suit says that you understand the concept of "Formal Night" and want to make sure that you are complying, or at least "fitting in". As Irish Shark mentioned, this topic has been posted to death (incidently, you can read back all 530+ pages of old postings, if you really want to) and you frequently read about how "shorts were allowed during Formal Night on my last cruise", etc., which people use to justify their reasoning for doing the same. To me, Formal Night is part of the cruising experience...there are other dining options available for those who don't want to participate. The light suit will be just fine...have a wonderful cruise.
Old June 13th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Captain

Amy:

My last and first cruise were on the Carnival Holiday about 7 years ago. The wife and I are going on RCI Sovereign of the Seas for a 4 day Bahama cruise in Aug.

From my limited experience on Carnival, your husband will look fine and probably better than most guys. Nothing wrong with a a good quality light suit anyway...Seems just right for a Summer type cruise to me. Have fun!
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_1959
Amy,

I don't believe that Irish Shark was referring to you, but more to the people who don't even try to dress up on formal night...with the "it is my vacation and I'll dress how I want" attitude. The fact that you cared enough to ask about the color of the suit says that you understand the concept of "Formal Night" and want to make sure that you are complying, or at least "fitting in". As Irish Shark mentioned, this topic has been posted to death (incidently, you can read back all 530+ pages of old postings, if you really want to) and you frequently read about how "shorts were allowed during Formal Night on my last cruise", etc., which people use to justify their reasoning for doing the same. To me, Formal Night is part of the cruising experience...there are other dining options available for those who don't want to participate. The light suit will be just fine...have a wonderful cruise.
Well said Gray.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old November 12th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Beginner

Wink Baby Blue

I am about to leave for my first cruise on sunday. And just like alot of you will probably agree getting ready for your first cruise is very stressing. In many ways but what has really been on my mind is trying to figure the clothing that I need to bring for each differant event or activity. I am probably over thinking all this since I have never cruised before but I would rather have it there and not wear it then to not have it and need it. And Dina you caught my attention. about Formal night I was very frustrated trying to decide what to take. Then I just went with my favorite Baby Blue Tux with a matching Top Hat...until I read your post DINA and I just pulled out the BABY BLUE TUX!!!!lol j/k I know I am gonna wear a suit. but I cant make up my mind about light or dark color. I personally think the dark color looks more formal but like someone else said already a suit is a suit. What I cant stop thinking about is worrying that I am gonna sweat my ass off wearing a suit in such a warm place. And I got yelled at when I said that its gonna be hot enough wearing a suit therefor I must go commando under it..Ladies I am not being a pig but you have to understand you all will be looking hot and sexy with alot of skin showing and basically have air conditioning on when we got the heat on.. so any chance for the boys to get a little more breathing room I must take it.. So what s your take on that D?
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Admiral

Formal night is what it says, defined by the dress code the cruise line specifies. Looking nice or smart isn't necessarily dressing formally, I can't answer for each cruise line but formal is usually a modified form of "Black Tie," to me there is nothing formal about a light suit, to me the minimum on a formal night is a dark suit & tie for the evening, not just dinner then rip it off.
Old November 12th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The tan suit probably doesn't fit him anymore...A lot of weight can be gained in the 3 years since this post

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 2nd, 2011, 03:32 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I first heard about this , hope to write some experts share their experience under the.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 04:32 AM
Admiral

his suit color should compliment the color of your dress and should never draw attention away from you and your outfit..that being said, since he doesn't wear alot of suits, the purchase of the suit should be able to fit all occasions besides just the cruise...GQ indicates that a man can select a number of ties/belts/socks to provide a flair of individuality

also, the initial expense may be higher, purchase a fine quality suit with alittle wiggle room and a really good pair of shoes, that will last
Old January 2nd, 2011, 01:17 PM
Familiar Face

I believe that Carnival no longer has "formal" nights. They have now designated those evenings as "elegant nights". Years ago about 25% wore tuxes-----I think that it has now changed to 2%. Most men wear sports coats (our thumbnail picture is me in a "gasp" white sport coat AFTER LABOR DAY), but many just wear a shirt and tie. I am sure that he will be a GQ candidate in his outfit--just be sure to stop at MANY of the picture areas and pose, one may be THE picture for your cruise. Also (if he is anything like me) tell him to be sure the pants are able to expand by the end of the cruise. Enjoy!!!

In response to the poster who mentioned a tux rental place selling a complete set for $55, may I show my $25 silver/black velvet tux from a rental shop on Ebay---they even altered the sleeves and inseam! True, I had to use my own accessories-but luckily I had them. The HAL Maasdam is the only ship I've been on with an escalator.

Last edited by linalcaplan; January 2nd, 2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

I kind of like dressing up at night in my tux and years ago I invested in a black tux and since then I have purchase a white dinner jack that I can also wear with the Tux pants, so I can have a different look at different events. I have certainly got my money worth over the years.

I seem to do better in the casino when I dress up.:-D
Nov.2005 CCL - Spirit
Aug.2007 PCL - Crown Princess
Feb.2008 CCL - Spirit
Oct.2009 CCL - Elation
Jan.2010 CCL - Splender
Feb.2011 CCL - Spirit (Cabo)
Jul. 2011 CCL -Spirit (Alaska)
Oct.2011 CCL- Dream-(W.Caribbean)
Feb.2012 CCL - Spirit ( Cabo)
Dec. 2012 CCL- Splendor ( Cabo)
Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:16 PM
Familiar Face

I've chimed in on this too many times to remember.I do wear a tux, but you will be fine with any suit on Carnival.A dark suit will always look dressier, but the light suit will be fine.I agree with the comment someone said many people say "it's my vacation", well it is, just eat at the buffet if you want to be "casual". Two years ago on the Miracle, we had this guy who even on formal nights wore a visor, shorts, and flip flops.That really was pitiful.
Carnival Jubilee 88
Carnival Holiday 89
Sovereign of the Seas 91
Carnival Celebration 92
Big Red Boat 93
Explorer of the Seas 03
Carnival Victory 04
Carnival Legend 05
Jewel of the Seas 06
Carnival Triumph 06
Carnival Miracle 07
Carnival Victory 07
Carnival Miracle 08
Carnival Miracle 09
Carnival Liberty 10
Celebrity Reflection 14
Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:09 PM
Admiral

"Black is beautiful "
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Familiar Face

No suit is required at all. This from the Carnival website FAQS:

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

It is completely fine if you want to wear a tux or suit of any colour, but it certainly is not a requirement on any Carnival cruise. Those are Carnival's rules, I don't know where people come up with a suit is required. My husband will be wearing dress pants, long sleeve dress shirt and a tie - not because "it is my vacation and I will wear what I want" but because Carnival's dress code says it is quite appropriate to do so - which is precisely why we chose Carnival. We have no desire to dress in tuxes, suits or gowns to go to dinner and we are not required to on any Carnival ship. HAL or Cunard may be a better suited cruiseline for folks who think anyone not in a tux or suit should be dining at the buffet.

Last edited by firster; January 4th, 2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old January 4th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dhudd

On formal nights, I wear my Tux and just change the tie and accessories to match my wife's different color dresses.

MS Carnival Spirit 10/2006
MS Carnival Victory 12/2005
MS Star Princess 12/2002
MS Carnival Victory 12/2000
USS Bristol County, LST 1198, 1980-1982
USS Turner Joy, DD951, 1973-1978