Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Passenger

Default Definition of tank top

Hello all, I have been running everyone crazy with my cruise talk and actually ended up with my office divided on tank tops. I said a tank top was a shirt made out of thin t-shirty material and had the fairly skinny straps and usually a scoop neck. Others seemed to think it was a sleeveless shirt all together. I was planning on taking two or three shirts that are sleeveless, a thicker material even though slightly t-shirty and has a small mock turtle neck. I also have some of those floaty shirts that are sleeveless and tunic length and was planning on wearing those with my capri's. I all ready have to buy shorts since mine are in very bad condition, a couple of pairs of capris, (have none since I never really liked them) and some sundresses. I need these things any way since I have lost some weight and a lot of my clothes just hang on me. Thanks for your advice, hate to feel underdressed
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Admiral

You won't be underdressed at all. Sounds like cruise wear to me. What do you plan on wearing for Formal night?

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Definition of tank top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cejay
Hello all, I have been running everyone crazy with my cruise talk and actually ended up with my office divided on tank tops. I said a tank top was a shirt made out of thin t-shirty material and had the fairly skinny straps and usually a scoop neck. Others seemed to think it was a sleeveless shirt all together. I was planning on taking two or three shirts that are sleeveless, a thicker material even though slightly t-shirty and has a small mock turtle neck. I also have some of those floaty shirts that are sleeveless and tunic length and was planning on wearing those with my capri's. I all ready have to buy shorts since mine are in very bad condition, a couple of pairs of capris, (have none since I never really liked them) and some sundresses. I need these things any way since I have lost some weight and a lot of my clothes just hang on me. Thanks for your advice, hate to feel underdressed
here you go - more discussion for the water cooler - even wikipedia is not clear (There is Tank Top and Tank Top Sweater
=============================================

Tank top
Not to be confused with Tank top (sweater).
In American English, a tank top is a sleeveless T-shirt-like garment that can be worn by either sex. It is often worn under the shirt as an underwear, though more colorful and well-designed tanks are usually worn as a shirt. The term is also used in Australian English, although "singlet" commonly refers to the undergarment. In British English, the term vest is used, while "tank top" refers to a sleeveless pullover. In India, such a vest, primarily designed to be an undershirt, is called a baniyaan.
Origin of name
The name Tank top, recorded in English since 1968, is derived from its resemblance to a tank suit, a style of one-piece women's swimsuit with shoulder straps, so called since the 1920s, because it was worn in a "swimming tank," an obsolete term for what are now called "swimming pools." A female swimming version of the tank top, the tankini (a portmanteau of the words "tank top" and "bikini"), is also an option. (it is not known when Tank Top came to be used as a term for a sleeveless jumper, although its use predates 1968)
Uses
Tank tops are often worn by athletes in sports such as track and field and bicycling. Tank tops have been popular warm-weather casual wear in the United States since the 1980s and are regarded as acceptable public casual dress in most locales there. They are mostly preferred in hot-weather or in tropical climates since the arm holes provide ventilation (thus lessening the amount of sweat that gathers) to the armpits and the thin fabric provides comfort.

===========================================
Tank top (sweater)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

A tank top (known in America as a sweater vest) is an item of knitwear which is similar to a jumper but without sleeves. They were very popular in the mid-20th century and are sometimes perceived as having comedic value
The Gumbies wearing classic examples of 20th century tank top
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Perfect example!!! Look at Dina's photo on her post. Although its a sideways shot, it looks like a tank top. That's what a tank top looks like.

Dina, help out here?

Or.....for a better visual, go look at any Basketball games on TV. Those would be tank tops, but just cut them to waist height.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Passenger

Using my daughter's school dress code: any top with straps *less* that three finger's width across the shoulder is an acceptable tank top.

Everything else is considered a camisole or undergarment and must be covered with an over garment...
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Passenger

Then I was correct. All the shirts I am bringing, while sleeveless start at the neck and go to the beginning of my arms.

I am undecided about the formal night, I have a cute purple dress that is knee length and the back is lace up from mid back to top, or I have a black knee length dress that is slightly 50's style in that it is flared from the waist down and tight at the waist with beatiful embrodiary (I think I can wear this one but just in case I am not counting on it since I may not be small enough yet). Or I have a long pearl gray sheath dress but to be honest I do not like it that much since the material is rayony and I think the color washes me out. It is more formal. I was thinking of checking ebay or a consignment store we have here locally for more things.
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
Perfect example!!! Look at Dina's photo on her post. Although its a sideways shot, it looks like a tank top. That's what a tank top looks like.

Dina, help out here?

Or.....for a better visual, go look at any Basketball games on TV. Those would be tank tops, but just cut them to waist height.
I consider what I'm wearing a tank top. The straps are wide not spagetti but I would have considered that a tank top as well... The mysteries of fashion..

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Admiral

cejay on deciding which dress for formal night - I always do the following tests:

1. sit down test - can I sit down at the table without over exposure - does the dress stick between the cheeks when I get up .

2. the "pose" test - can I strike various poses without straps falling and/or over exposing the photographer

3. the "wind" test: can I walk on the deck with a breeze without a Marilyn Monroe moment

4. the shoe test: are the shoes that match the dress comfortable but sexy

5. the "go for the distance" test: is the dress comfortable to wear the entire night to save room in the luggage for souveneirs

Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Passenger

Wow, Ms. Blackjack lots to think about especially the "wind" test. I am large busted and the sheath dress is strapless but I have worn it to Christmas parties before. I'll have to try these on and see if I end up doing the tug dance all night. I was thinking of bringing silver strappy sandals with about an inch to inch and half heel. Then of course my regular sandals for sundresses and stuff. So much to do, the list is getting longer
Old June 8th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cejay
Wow, Ms. Blackjack lots to think about especially the "wind" test. I am large busted and the sheath dress is strapless but I have worn it to Christmas parties before. I'll have to try these on and see if I end up doing the tug dance all night. I was thinking of bringing silver strappy sandals with about an inch to inch and half heel. Then of course my regular sandals for sundresses and stuff. So much to do, the list is getting longer
its quite funny when you spell it out
- but the wind test I learnt the hard way YIKES....
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat