Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2007, 09:44 AM
First Mate

Default airline carry on restriction question

have any of you ladies had make up remover pads taken from you at the airport? I assume these are okay as they are not liquid or gel - as they "contain" liquid it seems unclear to me. I was going to put enough pads for the trip in a ziploc bag. I'm going to travel with carry ons only.
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Admiral

They should not be an issue. If in doubt, put it in the checked luggage.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 9th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Passenger

See:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#1

In a nutshell: *Most* cosmetic items are permitted....IF 3 oz and under and when placed in ONLY 1, 1-quart Ziploc bag in your carry on item. This does not include used toothpaste rolled up to 3oz size, but rather the the containers used must be an original 3 oz size container. Your remover pads may add up to 3 ounces. Hint: I bought small jewelery Ziploc ($2 Walmart) to keep certain small items like your remover pads separated.

There is a different set of rules for liquid and gel medications and those may be placed in a separate Ziploc bag.

Take the Ziploc bag out of your carry on to be hand/X-Ray inspected. Don't forget to also take off your shoes, belts and large jewelry, metal barrettes, coin from your pocket, and cell phones that might set off the metal detector. Also, because of this closer inspection, the lines at security might be long so allow time for it. ...We can all thank Terrorist attempts on the US for our inconveniences...and it doesn't look like it the security searches will be let up any time soon.

I work at the airport. You can't imagine what items people try to pass through security! Small keg of beer (Bless his heart!), gasoline, Gatorade, large-size body wash, realistic toy machine gun/sword. We live in a different day and age now and have to be more aware...
Old June 9th, 2007, 07:40 PM
First Mate

Thanks Cheryl, I'll do that with my pads - I have ziploc snack bags that should do the trick. I refuse to travel with checked luggage anymore - I hate waiting for my luggage and I like to also not have to worry if it will make it to the ship!

I'm good now for all the travel size liquids and gels I'll be bringing.

I have travel or 3 oz. or smaller sizes of toothpaste, sunblock, shampoo, oil of olay, lubriderm and hair conditioner.

I think I'm good to go!
Old June 10th, 2007, 11:10 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylyoungklein
...We can all thank Terrorist attempts on the US for our inconveniences...
Cheryl -

First of all, thanks for being a member of those agencies that are trying to keep this country safe. In the same vein as the military, police and firefighters, the members of TSA (and other airport workers) should be appreciated, not criticized.

I chose this particular portion of your quote because it is critical that we all must recognize that, even though we are putting up with an inconvenience, we can not allow these terrorists to affect how we, as a nation, travel.

I can remember taking a cruise shortly after 9/11 - people thought I was crazy for being willing to fly, but I replied that "if I don't fly because of 9/11, then yet another victim of 9/11 has been found."

Jon
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old June 10th, 2007, 11:52 AM
First Mate

Jon, I agree. My son and I flew down to Florida 2 months after 9/11 becuase my mom had months before gotten tickets for us to visit her. I was never afraid of terrorists, I knew any men on board would kick "A**" if anyone tried to take over the plane. I had my usual fear of a crash due to a drunk pilot or mechanical difficulties. The flights were booked solid. Fort Lauderdale airport was packed with people who has returned from cruises. That was the day (veteran's day 2001) that a plane crashed in New York (later determined to be mechanical issues_) and they cancelled all flights into new york state that day as they didnt know ifit was terrorists or not. It was surreal watching that unfold on CNN on the airport monitors. I knew any men on board would kick "A**" if anyone tried to take over the plane.
Old June 10th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Passenger

Thanks Jon, I appreciate and agree with your opinion of TSA workers, but I do not work for TSA, rather I experience the hard work of TSA as a Flight Attendant every day I go to work. Security checks we do on the aircraft are congruent with TSA guidelines... and then some. Every moment on the aircraft are eyes and ears are always open for breech.

Once during our own training session we were given a series of XRay objects to identify and we were to place them on "allowed or not allowed" list. Even though they were every day items no altered terrorist items in hiding, it was truly hard to ID them! TSA must have training AND experience to see potential threats to US Carriers. As a frequent flier of sorts, I for one am glad they are on the ground and on our side!

I know what to do when I pass through security since I do it frequently. Yet I see total confusion on the faces of travelers. Tell me, from a travelers point of view, are the rules that have been in place for a year+ that confusing? While no one, esp the airline industry wants to scare the flying public, do you think that people are in denial of what possibly might happen (again)? <wondering>
Old June 10th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Passenger

[quote="michellet1959"] I was never afraid of terrorists, I knew any men on board would kick "A**" if anyone tried to take over the plane.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>As a Flight Attendant I was scheduled to fly 9/12. I am being honest to tell you I was scared only because we didn't know what happened or did we have anything in place to help prevent it from happening again...too many unanswered questions. But all flights being grounded kept me off planes for almost 3 weeks. What I saw live on TV is still very vivid in my mind. I try not to see it replayed on various programs. And forget about seeing the movie! As flight crew, we were allowed to go to Ground Zero to pay our respects to fellow FA's who died there. I understand it was a very tearful and solemn sight.

The months that flowed 9/11 many passengers had the same feeling as you...perhaps too much? We felt good as crew that others were helping us "watch" yet they were not trained on what to watch for and we got some strange info from our passengers...all taken seriously of course. It took about 6 months for the panic to die down.

Rest assured, ALL security issues still remain in place and strong. We are safer than we've ever been! None of us has let our guard down starting at on the ground. Passengers can once again relax. We are at Zero Tolerance level on all security issues, even the tiniest ones, in regards to the safety of the flight.
Old June 10th, 2007, 10:26 PM
First Mate

I carry a packet of 15 facial wash clothes in my carry on when I travel without any problems. The only thing that has to be in the quart sized zip lock are the actual liquids and toothpaste...3 oz or less.