Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to scrapsoflife
Default Number of carry-ons?

Hi gang, I'm cruising this week (2 days! woot!) and I'm having a bit of a packing dilemma.

I admit to being slightly paranoid about putting everything in one big suitcase and a small carryon in case the porter misplaces it (probably happens less often than airports losing luggage, but whatever) so I've repacked into two smaller rolling pieces that each fit under the 24"x16" rule and one shoulder bag. My question is has anyone else done it this way and was there a problem 'carrying on' essentially 3 pieces of baggage?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Admiral

I think as long as you can manage to drag all three of them at the same time without assistance then that would be fine.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Passenger

Well if that's the litmus test then I should be fine: one has a strap that will piggy back the other
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapsoflife
Well if that's the litmus test then I should be fine: one has a strap that will piggy back the other
Then you'll be fine.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Passenger

The term "Carry on" does not refer to how much you can carry on an airplane. Each airline has different carry on item rules that often adjusts to the number of passengers on board a flight i.e. full plane=less carry on items allowed, and this may be announced at the gate before you enter the jetway. If it appears your bags are too large for the interior hold of the airplane, or if you are carrying more than your share of space allows (IOW, your stuff takes up two+ passenger spaces), airline personnel will ask to have your items checked at the airplane door.

In general what is allowed is one carry one that will fit underneath an airline seat plus one personal item i.e. laptop, purse etc. But check with your air carrier for their specific limitations esp at international departures and destinations

Also note that once the overhead bin space is filled up and there is no more room for baggage that will not fit under the seat, all remaining incoming in-cabin baggage will be checked to Baggage Claim at the destination. You can make room and rearrange bins yourself to make room for your items if your friendly Flight Attendant is not available.
Or, remaining available space may not be near your seat so be sure to look elsewhere if space gets tight. Aircraft closets are becoming extinct. Once the overhead bins are full the only alternative will be to be checked into the belly of the aircraft. Be sure to pack all your valuables/documents/ meds in one bag.

For added safety, place ID on both the inside and the outside of your checked bags, take pictures of it's contents for insurance purposes....and try to stay away from the ever-popular black suitcases to help avoid mistakes since they all look alike! The airline is NOT responsible for ANY of your carry on articles. Try to stow them nearest your seat and ALWAYS keep your purse/passport/other valuables etc, with you even to go to the bathroom as you would any other public place. A Flight Attendant is not required to lift your (heavy) suitcase alone but will mostly likely happily *assist* you.

Just remember, when you are through with the hassles of tight-space, air travel, you get to CRUISE on a big ship!!!!!!
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Passenger

I probably should clarify, I'm driving to Port of Mobile so no airline restrictions apply (those I'm quite familiar with ). Carnival does have a published size limit for self-boarded luggage (which I presume has more to do with clogging hallways, etc. while boarding and finding ones room than anything else) but nothing about how many pieces of luggage, hence the question.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Passenger

Default Oops!

Happy cruise! Glad you won't have to hassle with air travel! Ick! I think air travel is the worst part of any trip!

They "lost" our largest suitcase when the Deck tag got torn off during embarkation. When we went to retrieve it, there were but 50 or less other "Lost" items remaining here along with ours, mostly smaller totes and garment bags. That of course did not include those who had not waited as patiently as we did and had already picked up their bags before 6 pm. Still, not bad considering there were 2400 guests! Lesson learned, when we checked our bags to disembark, we placed two colored tags on each bag!

Have a wonderful time! Tell us all about it when you return.
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Just as long as you can carry it all at once.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Please be aware that you might be lifting, carrying, dragging, pushing, pulling your carry-on luggage up and down ramps and stairs, elevators, escalators, through lines of people, on and off security belt, gangway, etc., while holding your documents and Sail & Sign card.
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Familiar Face

I found Carnival to be very well organized and I think the suggestion of two tags per bag is a great way. Personally, if you are avoiding the airport, why tie yourself down with all that stuff. Even in Rome, on a boat with 3000, our bag arrived before dinner and the only baggage issues were connected with the airport!

Carnival Freedom/4-2007

Free Cruise Clocks