Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jhallah2
Default Carnival dining questions

Has anyone been to Glory's (or one of the sister ships) reservations-only supper club? If so, how much is it, what kind of "steakhouse" food is available, and is it worth it? I know the menus are usually the same week to week, so is there a particular night on Glory that is lacking in the main dining room and the steakhouse would be best?

How's the 24 hour pizzeria? And the sushi?

Any other suggestions?

This is my 5th cruise, and you can tell I love to eat, but since it's my first on Carnival, I'm a little apprehensive to get excited for the food.

Thanks!
Jake
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I'd be as excited about Carnival's food as any of the mass market cruise lines. The last several years Carnival has been making great strides in their food departments, and the result is the dining room food is at least as good as any other line, and better than some.

The Supper Club is very good, and features a variety of steaks, including a huge porterhouse that I'd be surprised many can finish. They also offer a fish and sea food choice.... and of course all the side dishes one could want.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Admiral

As I just posted on a new message... I havn't been on my first cruise yet, but from everything I'm hearing, the food on Carnival is supposed to be "off the hook".
I know I'm getting excited about the food.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old June 12th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Admiral

I agree with the others who have posted before me. The food on Carnival is getting much, much better, and frankly I find the food aboard "Glory" to be the best of the bunch. (I think the cooks season it more to my taste) In any case, I like the 24 hour pizza, the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) says the sushi is very good, and the one area that's often overlooked on the Conquest Class ships, is the "Fish n Chips" area, that's one deck above the buffet. Just look for the stairs near the buffet.
We've never done the speciality restaurant, as I think the food in the dining room is excellent.

See you aboard,

Ken
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Kuki and Skymaster are correct in their assessments of the food offered on Carnival. It is a perfect example of Carnival listening to all the constructive criticisms offered by passengers on their comment cards over the years. I've read a lot of complaints about the breakfast offered at the buffet and really don't know what their complaint is. If you can't find something you like, you are just too hard to please. Remember, they are cooking for thousands of people. You can have made to order omelets or you can order whole eggs cooked to your liking (the whole eggs are kept behind the counter, just ask)....scrambled eggs, pancakes, french toast, bacon, sausage, ham, potatos, fresh fruit, grits, oatmeal, toast, bagels, pastries, etc. The dining room offers all of the above plus eggs benedict, baked apples and freshly made corned beef hash, yum!

I'm not a sushi fan but the pizza is very good and a favorite amongst children. So are the offerings at the grill station during lunch, i.e., hamburgers, hot dogs, steak sandwiches, grilled chicken sandwiches and the thickest chili I've ever had (loaded with red lima beans). The turkey sandwiches available at the Deli are very good (nice fresh rolls). On the Liberty they had an area set up in the buffet dining room where you grab a bowl and choose the items you would like cooked in a Wok...all kinds of veggies, beef, chicken, sauce, etc. and they are cooked fresh for you. The carved meats at lunch were particularly great.....whole turkey, roast beef, leg of lamb, pork loin, and the best baked ham I've ever had.

The formal dining room food is very, very good. I'm not a meat eater so can't vouch for the meat offerings but the chicken, fish and pasta dishes are excellent. One of the things I like about the formal dining room is that they now have items that are always available every evening (prior to this change, it was kept a secret that you could order a sirloin steak, baked potato or grilled chicken if you didn't like any of the entrees that evening). Now, these items are always available in addition to the entrees offered that evening: Hamburger, grilled chicken, shrimp cocktail, ribs, grilled salmon (very good), sirloin steak, baked potato and chocolate melting cake). Another thing they offer are hot, freshly baked rolls every evening. You could kill someone with the stale, cold rolls on RCCL. Please try the creme brulee when it is on the menu, souffle, and the chocolate melting cake served with vanilla ice cream. See what you've done, now my mouth is watering!! Please have some for me.

I hope you will be pleasantly surprised by the dining room and buffet offerings. Don't miss the chocolate buffet...I think they will offer it the last sea day on the Glory. They have luscious home made little donuts that are dipped in the chocolate fountain plus too many chocolate desserts to name. It is only open for two hours, I've eaten a chocolate lunch many times. Have a wonderful cruise!!!
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jhallah2

Thanks for the replies!! You have made me a lot more excited about the food on the Glory! I NEVER miss a souflee or creme brulee, they are my favorite! I love the idea of shrimp cocktail every night, ill be ordering multiple! Speak of the rolls on RCCL, they are awful, just went on Enchantment last Thanksgiving, wasn't impressed at all with their food, or much for that matter.