Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Passenger

Default Best place to buy gold?

We are heading to the Western Caribbean in two weeks and I would like to buy a gold omega chain--is this a good idea? Should I just buy one in the states at a reputable jewelry store? Can I ever be sure of the quality of the material if purchased in the ports? Any advice, please?
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Best place to buy gold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrn
We are heading to the Western Caribbean in two weeks and I would like to buy a gold omega chain--is this a good idea? Should I just buy one in the states at a reputable jewelry store? Can I ever be sure of the quality of the material if purchased in the ports? Any advice, please?
QVC
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Barkingowl

What ports are you stopping at?
02/06 Carnival Liberty
01/05 Carnival Fascination
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Passenger

Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, and Nassau. I was hoping to spend only a couple hundred on a gold omega chain, but that'a probably not possible.
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to sirobin171

Let me tell you where NOT to buy gold.

On the ship. Any ship that does the "we sell it for so much less and our gold is the greatest and we back it with blah blah blah." Especially the 1 day only sale, STAY AWAY..

I fell for it and it was garbage in about 6 months. Its plating came off and turned green.
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Admiral

You're right. All of that "gold by the inch" crap on the ship is either plated, or filled, and if you're normal, and wear it much at all, it'll turn your neck, or arm, or ankle green in no time flat.
We did buy a chain in Grand Cayman, which is a good one, but I normally wouldn't do that, as my son-in-law is a jeweler! 8) If you do buy some gold on one of the islands, do a little homework first, and learn what to look for. IMO it's still a bit of a gamble.

See y'all aboard,

Ken
Old June 13th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Some people will buy anything that glistens.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 13th, 2007, 09:31 PM
First Mate

Although it was in St Thomas, I bought my wife a wonderful gold omega in Diamonds International - there is a Diamonds International in Cozumel.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Passenger

Wow, keep up the advice. I am listening. Tonight I checked out a price here in town and it was over $1000. Too rich for my blood. Is there a little "14K" written anywhere on ALL gold bought abroad, or no? I thought that was a usual sign of authenticity.
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Passenger

Before you buy anything, do your homework. Find out how much the same chain would cost where you live. Visit the store on the ship and see what their price is. Also, when we went to the Carribean our ship director gave a workshop on what stores to visit in which ports along with a flyer listing them all and what they sold. Trust me, I'm sure Carnival gets some kind of kick back but having the Carnival "seal of approval" gives the shop owners a steady stream of customers that they do not want to jeapordize. Some of the stores will give you additional discounts if you mention the ship directors name. At one port, he was actually walking around and we solicited his help in negotiating a deeper discount. I did not waste my time shopping in any stores that were not on the carnival list. Any jewelry I bought on board or in carnival approved stores was appraised for way more then I paid for it so I trust their judgement.