Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:33 AM
First Mate

Default Port Canaveral area attractions

My son and I will be debarkin Sensation on Thurs Aug 2 but not flying home till the following morning. I was originally gonig to take the shuttle to the orlando airport and pick up a rental car there, then head to the Int'l drive area for Ripley' believe it or not and a few other smaller attractions.

I just changed my plans - now we'll be taking a free shuttle from Port Canaveral to get a Thrifty car rental and we will be going to the Kennedy Space Center for the tour. Never been there. We will then head to our hotel (Laquinte near the Orlando airport) to sleep that night.

What I need to know is if there are any other good attractions to go to on the way from Cape Canaveral to Orlando? We will probably be at the space center from 11 to 2, and if there's something else in the area or on the way to Orlando we may forego Ripley's (we can head up to the Wisc. Dells for that if we really want to at some other time).

Please share any attractions you know of. He doesn't want to do SeaWorld, Disney, or Universal Studios. I'm thinking of things smaller than that. Thanks for any tips!
Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Passenger

We sailed out of Port Canaveral in April, and also visited Kennedy. I'm not sure you're budgeting anywhere near enough time for the space center, especially since it should be pretty crowded now that school is out- and you'll probably want to stop for lunch some time in there. It's also pretty pricey for just a, err, 3 hour tour. We spent pretty much all day there, and there were still a number of things we didn't get a chance to see. And on Memorial Day, they opened the new "Shuttle Experience" which is supposed to be pretty amazing, but I'd guess that the lines will be pretty long.

I don't think there's a whole lot on the road to Orlando. There are certainly a lot of things to do in Orlando, but it really depends on what things interest the two of you.
Old June 13th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

My boys always like to go to Coco to the beach and then to Ron Jon's (big famous surf shop).
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old June 13th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Michelle, There really isn't anything between the port and Orlando.

Like Jackie said, you could just enjoy some time at Cocoa Beach, and a visit to Ron Jon's Surf Shop (very cool place).

Also, keep in mind that Ripleys has different thing's in each of there locations.

International Drive, where Ripley's is located, also host's a number of other small attrations, gift shops, restaurants etc.

http://www.internationaldriveorlando.com/

Barry
Carnival Imagination 2008
Carnival Destiny 2009
Carnival Valor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2011
Carnival Miracle 2012
Old June 13th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Admiral

You would travel on I4 to get from Kennedy Space Center to Orlando and there are no attractions off that road until you enter the Orlando center area. If he doesn't care to do any of the theme parks, my suggestions would be:

Downtown Disney is a great place to walk around for a few hours, has numerous themed restaurants, Ghirardelli's Ice Cream Shop, Lego store, boat rentals, movie theatres, and Disney Quest (my grandson's favorite). Cirque de Soleil at Downtown Disney is outstanding. If you've never seen a Disney hotel, you can hop on one of the buses at Downtown Disney and go explore. The hotels themselves are tourist attractions and have very good restaurants. If you go to the Polynesian, grab a chair on the beach and watch the light boat parade on Bay Lake then stay to see the fireworks across the lake at the Magic Kingdom. The Polynesian also offers a luau with Mickey & Minnie.

Typhoon Lagoon, I believe, still offers a special rate after 3:00 p.m. if he likes water parks. Some cool miniature golf venues include Disney's Winter Summerland near Blizzard Beach and Pirate's Cove on Int'l Drive. Also on Int'l Drive is WonderWorks, (great for children). There are numerous themed shows such as Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede and Medieval Times, Titanic Exhibit, etc.

If you need more information, send me an email:

rosetattoo111@aol.com

I live in Orlando and would be happy to share any information you need.
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Admiral

We also went to the Kennedy Space Center after our cruise last year. We spent most of the day there. There is to much to see and do in 4 hours. Be sure and take the bus tour around the whole space center. You get so much more info and see great things doing that. Have fun.

Need some cruise help?
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:10 AM
First Mate

I love Downtown Disney.

I hate Ripley. If I had 2 hours I wanted to spend I would much rather do that at Downtown Disney for free them pay even $1 to get into Ripleys.

Just my opinion.

Brian

Sensation
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Downtown Disney is very nice. The LEGO store is fun for kids. Rainforest Cafe is there. Lot's of things to look at.

Need some cruise help?
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Admiral

my son is 14 and last night he said he would like the space center so we''ll probably spend from 11 to 5 there, they drive to our hotel near the orlando airport and call it a night after quick dinner - early flight out and we have to return the car rental at the airport.

Thanks everyone for your input!
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

There's a new ride there just opened. Something about experiencing what it feels like in the shuttle during takeoff. Probably some motion involved I would imagine.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Admiral

yeah, we'll have to talk to those who went on it first, my son and I share a dislike for roller coaster type of rides. - we may take a pass on it.