Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Beginner

Default Bioluminescence Bay Kayak Tour, Puerto Rico

has anyone ever been on the Bioluminescence Bay Kayak Tour in Puerto Rico? Miricle arrives at 3PM and departs at 12am. is it worth the stress to arrange the tour?
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Bioluminescence Bay Kayak Tour, Puerto Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradcruiser
has anyone ever been on the Bioluminescence Bay Kayak Tour in Puerto Rico? Miricle arrives at 3PM and departs at 12am. is it worth the stress to arrange the tour?
Not me, sorry, but I bet their business cards are twice the size!
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Passenger

I did this trip.

Both Me and my Wife loved it!

45 min van ride from ship so book through Carnival...to be safe, in case late getting back.

Very dark, as you paddle through mangrove swamp to get to bay.....VERY COOL! Trees hang over the small river and block the stars and moon. Some place you work your way through the twisting turns in pitch black. If you love nature, and adventure....this is about the neatest thing you can do on the cruise.

Bay was really neat, and they let us swim...(think of TinkerBell in Peter Pan if you want to know what it looks like) I wish we would have brought goggles or a mask... that would have been over the top!

P.S. you don't need to swim or get out of your boat....to enjoy the effects.

P.S.S we brought change of clothes for long ride back to ship.
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstudy
I did this trip.

Both Me and my Wife loved it!

45 min van ride from ship so book through Carnival...to be safe, in case late getting back.

Very dark, as you paddle through mangrove swamp to get to bay.....VERY COOL! Trees hang over the small river and block the stars and moon. Some place you work your way through the twisting turns in pitch black. If you love nature, and adventure....this is about the neatest thing you can do on the cruise.

Bay was really neat, and they let us swim...(think of TinkerBell in Peter Pan if you want to know what it looks like) I wish we would have brought goggles or a mask... that would have been over the top!

P.S. you don't need to swim or get out of your boat....to enjoy the effects.

P.S.S we brought change of clothes for long ride back to ship.
How well were you able to see the effects, were they very bright? Did they have any boats for 3 people? I am taking my mother on her first cruise and she really wants to do this but is night blind. If I can put her between my BF and I, she wouldn't have to paddle/steer and could come along. Thanks, Carla
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Passenger

Night blind .... then it depends on clear sky and full moon.
We had a good night. But if it was cloudy it would be pitch black.

The effect is half as bright as cell phone in a movie theater. Just little dots running down your arm if you pick up some water.... and swirling all around your paddle as you make each stroke in the bay. Very interesting. But if you swim, your entire body lites-up and if you open your eyes underwater lights are swirling everywhere and you see your arms glowing as you pull them through the water in front of your face....quite a show!

Boat was 2 people, you had to work together to steer.
If you really know how to steer,... person sitting in the front doesn't have to do anything, but its a lot of work for one person to push 300 pounds over a mile down and a mile back, in the dark in tight spaces. If the person sitting in-front of you is big they block your view as you try to steer. Considering the view is blocked 90% by darkness on some turns it is quite a fun time. You can hear everyone in your group so its a blast finding your way through the winding stream...some of which is by hearing more then seeing until you bump into somone (all in good fun)

You'd have to take two boats, be my guess.

I'd call and check.... they might have 3 person boat, seemed like 10 tour companies at location when we got there.

We did see a motor boat bring some people in a comfortable dry boat (they didn't have swim wear on like all of us). Our guides got very upset...said moter oil and gas, kills the life in the bay. The bay seemed land-locked and not a very strong flow from the tides to flush out any pollution from boat traffic.
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Yeoman

Thanks for the info Markstudy

I don't think either of us would be able to do all the paddling with her in the boat. She can not see anything after dark unless is glows but the luminescence effect for her would be 10 times what it is to us

I don't think its worth hurting the bay to charter a boat out there. I guess we will just attend the new years eve party on the boat instead. Thanks again, Carla
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by adias.angel
Thanks for the info Markstudy

I don't think its worth hurting the bay to charter a boat out there. Carla
Glad to be of some help.

I'm sorry to hear you're not going.

But I have to addmit that this trip is a advanced activity, and very dark...so I don't see any easy way to get there.
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Beginner

Markstudy,

Did you do the Bio bay tour recently? I went back in Oct '06 and we were allowed to swim in the bay. Then I went back recently in May '07 and it was now illegal to swim in the bay because of the many tours that go in and out, therefore depleting the luminescence of the bay.

The reason I'm asking is because I booked the Carnival Miracle cruise 08/30 and I planned to take my friend (who has never been). San Juan is a port of call, so we're going to rent a car and drive to Fajardo to do the tour again. It would be awesome if they lifted the ban on swimming.

-brikee
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikee
Markstudy,

Did you do the Bio bay tour recently? I went back in Oct '06 and we were allowed to swim in the bay. Then I went back recently in May '07 and it was now illegal to swim -brikee

I was there Jan 07