Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2007, 07:25 AM
First Mate

Default carry-on size tip for ladies (hair conditioner)

For those of us determined to fly to our cruise port with carry-on luggage only, it's difficult to find hair conditioner in a 3 oz container. Seems all the travel size ailes at Walgreens, etc have shampoo but no conditioner. At least that's been my experience while I look for goodies for our 1-qt ziploc bags. Ladies, if you color your hair at home, save the conditioner that usually comes with your hair color. It's 1.8 oz (l'oreal) and just use your normal conditioner (or buy a separate deep conditioner) after your coloring treatment for one or two times. That's what I'm doing.

I cruise 6 weeks from tomorrow (fly out 6 weeks from today) and the last thing I have to find is aloe vera gel in 3 0z or less. I will be wearing 70 spf sunscreen (in 3 oz containers) so I don't think I"ll get burned, but aloe vera is great for soothing skin that's been in the sun, whether or not it's burned.
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:21 AM
First Mate

IS THAT LAW STILL IN EFFECT FOR THE AIRLINES 3 OZ. CONT.? I THOUGHT THAT THEY LIFTED THE BAN. CAN YOU BRING A BOTTLE OF WATER ONBOARD OR STILL NOT YET?

I AM SO CONFUSED. I HAD BETTER CHECK WITH THE AIRLINES.
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:29 AM
First Mate

Walmart also sells great travel size bottles that you can fill with your hair care products or lotion, aloe etc. I also pack the hotel sample sizes of products that way I can throw them away when empty.

Tweetybird, still no bottle water unless you buy it after you clear security. I don't know about you but paying $3 bucks for water bugs me.

Anyone out there know if I can put those small airlines size liquor bottles in my ziploc baggie?????
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor (3 days of towing back to port)

Carnival Dream

Have a great cruise all!! 8)
Old June 16th, 2007, 02:21 PM
First Mate

according to american airlines website today, restrictions for carry on liquids and gels is still in effect. Here's the website:

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...Regulation.jsp

As an update, today I went to another store and all they had was travel size conditioner, no shampoo. They were smaller than the condition that comes with my hair color so I'll still bring those instead.
Old June 16th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Passenger

Here's the TSA site:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

That 3-oz/ONE Ziploc bag rule will be in effect for some time....TSA Tells us to "get used to it".

They only mention Duty Free liquor...not sure about the mini's unless you've purchased them at Duty Free and are bringing them back?? I know you can't drink them on the airplane!

AVON has advertised their products in "travel safe" sizes including shampoos and conditioners. I am sure things will start to come in handy 3 oz. sizes everywhere very soon! But you can buy (or save) 3 oz container to fill up with your products. But you can't roll a toothpaste tube down to 3 oz size.

Water: No filled water/liquid bottles through security more than 3 oz CONTAINER. That means not 3 oz of water in an 8 oz container...Bring a refillable empty water bottle or empty bottle and fill it up at the drinking fountain?? OK, So it is not the best taste but it beats $3.50 water! The Flight Attendants will fill up your empty water bottle for you with their bottled water.
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Honeybear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylyoungklein
Water: ... Bring a refillable empty water bottle or empty bottle and fill it up at the drinking fountain?? OK, So it is not the best taste but it beats $3.50 water! The Flight Attendants will fill up your empty water bottle for you with their bottled water.
Due to some of my medication I drink a LOT of water. This is one of the best tips (for me) that I have ever seen! Thank you for sharing it.
the SENSATION

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
Old June 18th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: carry-on size tip for ladies (hair conditioner)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellet1959
For those of us determined to fly to our cruise port with carry-on luggage only, it's difficult to find hair conditioner in a 3 oz container. Seems all the travel size ailes at Walgreens, etc have shampoo but no conditioner. At least that's been my experience while I look for goodies for our 1-qt ziploc bags. Ladies, if you color your hair at home, save the conditioner that usually comes with your hair color. It's 1.8 oz (l'oreal) and just use your normal conditioner (or buy a separate deep conditioner) after your coloring treatment for one or two times. That's what I'm doing.

I cruise 6 weeks from tomorrow (fly out 6 weeks from today) and the last thing I have to find is aloe vera gel in 3 0z or less. I will be wearing 70 spf sunscreen (in 3 oz containers) so I don't think I"ll get burned, but aloe vera is great for soothing skin that's been in the sun, whether or not it's burned.
Hi, I when normally buy my shampoo & conditioner I look for the bottles that come with samples attached to them (herbal essence normally does this). Or I know Target usually has different kinds of both shampoo and conditioner.
Good luck and have a great cruise!
Old June 18th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Admiral

I agree, great tip about water! When you are trying to travel with only carry-ons, all these things are so important. I hope when I get to the security gate that they won't take things and throw them away. I'm all set with my 1-oz ziploc bag filled with 3 or or smaller containers.

ALSO, I went to Bed Bath & Beyond Saturday looking for new oven mitts and I found they have an entire wall devoted to travel and trial sizes. Finally got the aloe vera!!!! So I strongly recommend BBB for all your travel size cosmetics needs!
Old June 18th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
I agree, great tip about water! When you are trying to travel with only carry-ons, all these things are so important. I hope when I get to the security gate that they won't take things and throw them away. I'm all set with my 1-oz ziploc bag filled with 3 or or smaller containers.

ALSO, I went to Bed Bath & Beyond Saturday looking for new oven mitts and I found they have an entire wall devoted to travel and trial sizes. Finally got the aloe vera!!!! So I strongly recommend BBB for all your travel size cosmetics needs!
I spent an entire month to no avail before my last cruise looking for the trial size of the aloe vera gel!!!! It made me crazy not to be able to find it. When I got back home I found that target had finally got some in stock. I purchased two of them just in case.

As far as a good shampoo in trial size, try Bath and Body Works. They are now running their semi-annual sale and have loads of their shampoos and conditioners in 2 or 3 oz bottles for $2 each. They have 2 oz lotions for $1 and $2 each. Ditto for shower gel. I have these travel sized bottles of just about everything Bath and Body Works carries. It is nice to bring just enough so that you don't have to lug the bottle back home.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:26 PM
First Mate

Are the restrictions for 3 oz. shampoo and conditioner only if you are carrying them on the plane with you? What if I got a regular size bottle of shampoo or conditioner, and put them inside my luggage, would they open up my luggage and confiscate them?
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:30 PM
First Mate

3oz bottle (1qt bag) restrictions are for your carry on bags. You can pack full size bottles in your checked luggage.
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor (3 days of towing back to port)

Carnival Dream

Have a great cruise all!! 8)
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:54 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird
Are the restrictions for 3 oz. shampoo and conditioner only if you are carrying them on the plane with you? What if I got a regular size bottle of shampoo or conditioner, and put them inside my luggage, would they open up my luggage and confiscate them?
No, they won't confiscate them in your checked luggage. I put all my liquids in my checked luggage. I try to not carry much on with me. Only the essentials, book, MP3, cell phone, money, credit cards, that's about it.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:06 PM
First Mate

Thanks for your responses, that is what I thought, but I was not sure. Last year I put them in my luggage and nothing happened, but I thought since the restrictions with the 3 oz., I thought the laws changed.

Tweetybird
Old June 21st, 2007, 01:28 AM
First Mate

Keep in mind, the ship will have shampoo/condition and shower gel in dispensers in the bathroom. (At least they did on the Ecstasy when we went in January!)

Rhapsody of the Seas - long ago, in a galaxy far away!
Ecstasy - Jan. 2007
Conquest - Sept. 2007 cruisemates 4Bs
Ecstasy - Jan. 2008
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:52 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisschool
Keep in mind, the ship will have shampoo/condition and shower gel in dispensers in the bathroom. (At least they did on the Ecstasy when we went in January!)
Yeah..and it was pretty good shampoo. I never brought out the bottle we brought along to use. But I do not have color-treated hair or otherwise need any thing special for my hair...seems it was an all-in-one shampoo & conditioner and next to it a body wash dispenser....I sailed Ecstasy in May.

Note: Just remember when flying: Big Bottle, Big Bag(checked)--Little (3oz) Bottle, Little Bag(carry on) .
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:03 PM
Admiral

jsut when I thought I was all set with travel size stuff, I decided to stop blow drying my hair straight and letting it just dry naturally and be wavy for the summer - as the summer humidity causes it to get moist and it waves up anyway - so I had to go find travel size curl enhancer. couldn't find one but I got a 2 oz pump bottle that I'll just fill with from a large container at home, it should last for the 6 days I'll be gone
This also means not having to bring the hair dryer along!
Old July 1st, 2007, 02:45 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
jsut when I thought I was all set with travel size stuff, I decided to stop blow drying my hair straight and letting it just dry naturally and be wavy for the summer - as the summer humidity causes it to get moist and it waves up anyway - so I had to go find travel size curl enhancer. couldn't find one but I got a 2 oz pump bottle that I'll just fill with from a large container at home, it should last for the 6 days I'll be gone
This also means not having to bring the hair dryer along!
All of the Carnival ships I have been on have had a hair dryer in each cabin. It is already plugged in and is in the top drawer of the vanity. These are a little lower wattage than I am used to but still very strong. If you happen to get one that does not work, I am sure the cabin steward would swap it out for you.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old July 1st, 2007, 05:55 PM
Captain

I just read through this post and toward the end someone did mention the dispenser in the shower. It's been my experience that there has been an amenity basket in the bath with some sample size products as well on each Carnival cruise I've taken. They can be a great help. And, if you forget something they do have a sundries area in one of the ships shops.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old July 2nd, 2007, 03:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carry on travel sizes

You are right about the basket of samples on the Carnival ships. I had almost forgotten about it myself. It usually has some shampoo, conditioner, antacids, razors, toothpaste and some kind of energy drink mix as well as some other items.

Most of the ships do have the shampoo and body soap dispensers in the showers. However, the last time we were on the Holiday (Aug 2006) they had removed these from the showers during the time that FEMA commissioned the ship for hurricane victims and had not replaced them. Anyone who has been on the Holiday recently might give us more updated info regarding these items. The Sensation was also commissioned by FEMA for hurricane victim housing and may or may not still have these items in the shower. I have not sailed on the Sensation since Katrina.