Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Passenger

Default please help some teachers!

Help please! I am trying to plan a cruise for a group of teachers; we're all first-timers and are going during fall break. I have 2 big questions (at least, big for us!) Any advice will be appreciated!
1) There were going to be 6 and now we're down to 5 of us. We were going to get 3 inside rooms, 2 of us in each (we don't plan to be in our rooms much.. just to sleep.) Now we have an odd number; can we fit 3 of us into one inside room, so we'd have 3 in one and 2 in the other? What would be best?
2) We're preparing to get passports on Wednesday; I spoke to a TA on the phone tonight who said we don't need passports, just birth certificate and drivers license. I don't really MIND getting a passport, but if we can save the $100 expense, we can afford to spend more on our rooms or excursions (remember: teachers' salary) I would just die, though, if we got to the ship and couldn't get on without a passport and it was my fault! Or if we got to Cozumel and couldn't get off the boat...

Thanks in advance for your help; I've enjoyed reading all of the message boards; I've been taking notes!
Jane
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Passenger

You can get an inside room that sleeps 3. They have two single beds and one folds down from the ceiling, like a bunk bed.
With travel restrictions changing all the time, I'd get the passports. If they are required you may run into a time restraint if you don't get them. When we went to the Western Carribean, including Cozumel a couple of years ago we were told we had to have them. Better safe then sorry. Have fun, you'll love cruising
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Beginner

First, let's hear it for the teachers!!!!! Here is what I know. In September, I am going on my 6th cruise and it happens to be my honeymoon. As far as passports, my TA also said don't bother since I will be changing my name and would have to apply for a change within the December 31st deadline. The only reason you would HAVE TO HAVE a passport before then is if there were an emergancy and you needed to FLY back. As long as you cruise out and cruise in, a birth certificate and photo id work. As far as three in a room, you really only sleep, shower, and change in the room. Three is no big deal. One of you may have to sleep in the pull down bunk but it isn't that bad. I only have experience with the Princess 3rd person room, but it was ok and I understand that Carnival 3rd person rooms are actually better. Overall, my best advice is to don't sweat the little things! As a teacher you understand flexiblity and to get the most out of your cruise, that is the key! Happy Sailing!

Tricia
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:16 PM
First Mate

Good point about needing to FLY back. It happens more than you think. It's a really good idea to have the passport just in case. Also, The more people on the the ship that have passports, the faster the ship clears customs.

Three adults can fit in a single room, but remember the rooms are small and the bathroom tiny. It can be a bit cramped for 3 people trying to get ready on the formal nights. If you can work through that then go for it.

Have a great cruise!
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Teachers are important, however, they make considerable more than a civil servant (admin support jobs really have sucky pay).

I would get a balcony cabin because you may think you won't be in the cabin much, but you will be in it more than you think. I was always pooped after a port stop and would crash in the cabin and decompress for a good our or so before moving...a balcony cabin was ideal for that because I could flop on the chair and just rest my poor feet.....If you want to go on the cheap, then go with an inside cabin, but I am for balcony cabins all the way all the time....escept when an oceanview is the only alternative, it will do...
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Captain

Default Teachers

I think it is great for your group to go on this cruise. My daughter is also a teacher and we have invited her and her family as well as my two sons and their families to join us in our second family cruise next April.

We have sailed on Carnival 9 times so far and have had interior, ocean view, balcony and a room with three beds. We have booked 5 cabins for April with King/twin bed and 1 pull down as there will be 3 in each cabin.

You probably are not going to spend much time in the cabin. The only time we do is when it is only DH and I and then we book a balcony if at all possible. The carnival ships have these three bed cabins near the aft of the ship, so book as early as possible so you can request the cabins at the beginning of this group, so you won't be on the very aft of the ship.

As far as getting dressed in a small cabin, take turns with the in-room shower. One of you could use the in-room shower and the other two can don your robes and grab a shower bag and head to the showers in the gym/sauna area. These showers are much larger than the ones in the cabin (but private). Once you have showered, you can return to the cabin to dress. Just allow time to stagger your time at the mirrors. By using the other showers, the bathroom will not be too steamed up for some of you to do makeup in there and hair at the vanity.

Have fun and enjoy - but be careful.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Yay for teachers! (I'm a daycare teacher).
Good choice to plan a cruise for a group of you, I'm sure you will have fun.
Fitting 3 grown women in an inside cabin will be a squeeze, but it is do-able. Usually little kids fit better in those pull down from the ceiling beds, but if one of you is athletic - go for it!
You're right, you really don't spend much time in your cabin, except that when all of you have to get ready for dinner (especially formal night) at the same time, it could get hairy. Take turns! The others can always chill out by the pool, bar, or anywhere on the ship.
Have fun ladies!

donna