Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jack124

after 3 cruises to begging land and reading the first hand experiences of the family and others, i have put jamaica on my list of never again places to go. hope that poor family can get over that horrifying experience and that sometime the criminal gets what he deserves
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I have such mixed emotions about this. I was on that cruise, and spoke to several of the victims, so I know what a terrible time they had, but I also Love Jamaica, and especially the people, and history.

When I was a teen, I witnessed a murder of a police officer in down town Atlanta. For months I would not go down that street, because it kept coming back up in my mind, until one day my boss told me to look out our office window, which over looked the scene of the murder. He pointed out that it was now quiet. Many nice people walking around, and many laughing and talking. He said that I could not let something terrible change the way I went about my life. If I did, then the bad people won. I think this terrible crime in Jamaica is very much the same.

I did a little research about crime in the most common ports of call, and it is all the same, but just not as in the public eye. What would happen if we all refused to go to the ports that had crime. That would leave us cruising out in the open ocean. Oh wait a minute there is crime out there as well.

The excursion where the robbery took place, should have been a normal day for everyone. What happened should not have, but it did. If everyone refuses to go now, you will have missed out on some great excursions, and seeing some of the most beautiful scenery.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Passenger

Default Jamaica

I talked to a Friend who returned from the Same cruise, he said the Jamaican Government wants more Docking fees from Carnival and they wont give them any so the Government looks the other way now when these thugs accost the Passengers and he said they had to have Armed Guards on His Tour, so This is a Safety Concern for those of you going to Jamaica so be Extremely Careful about the Tours you Take dont take Private ones! The Police have been told to Look the Other way, I dont know why the US Government hasnt put out a travel Advisory! I wish I could carry My weapon on these cruises! I only go to the Shops that have Security, well they may not be that good now! The cruise lines do need to take Jamaica Off the Ports Of Call Because of this Situation, they have enough clout! Just be extremely cautious, dont take too much Cash, Credit Cards, Jewelry and do Take Copies of your documents or Passports! I went last Year and the Shop People were extremely rude, I dont know why, we havent done anything to them! Just Because they dont like Americans I Guess!