Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival Conquest passengers robbed in Jamaica

Did anyone see the news this evening? 17 passengers from the Conquest were robbed while on the banana plantation excursion in Jamaica. The father was interviewed and they had a gun pointed at his 10yr olds head. They took their passports, money, jewelry, id and credit cards. This is why you should bring copies of your passport and drivers license with you and keep them in the room safe. I will also copy the credit/debit cards along with numbers of how to call in case of theft. How scary this is.
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival Conquest passengers robbed in Jamaica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokadah
Did anyone see the news this evening? 17 passengers from the Conquest were robbed while on the banana plantation excursion in Jamaica. The father was interviewed and they had a gun pointed at his 10yr olds head. They took their passports, money, jewelry, id and credit cards. This is why you should bring copies of your passport and drivers license with you and keep them in the room safe. I will also copy the credit/debit cards along with numbers of how to call in case of theft. How scary this is.
Was it a ship excursion? The police in Jamaica will find these robbers in short order. The powers that be in Jamaica are not going to let a few thugs threaten their golden egg.

I never take passports or jewelry off the ship. I take 1 credit card, drivers license and my sail and sign.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Passenger

I'm trying to find out if it was a Carnival shore excursion. I can't find anything on the Carnival website, I would think that they would issue some kind if statement. These cruise ships bring a lot of revenue to these ports, I would think keeping the passengers safe would be a priority.
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I'm trying to find out if it was a Carnival shore excursion. I can't find anything on the Carnival website, I would think that they would issue some kind if statement. These cruise ships bring a lot of revenue to these ports, I would think keeping the passengers safe would be a priority.
I did a search on yahoo news and found a small article about it. (Carnival has a way of making bad news disappear when they want to.)

The article said that it was a ship sponsor excursion and the authorities caught one of the robbers and retrieved most of the stolen property. Carnival provided counselors for the affected passengers.

Jamaica better get it together. A lot of people do not like Jamaica and do not feel safe. If the authorities can't get their people in check, there are a whole host of islands looking to replace Jamaica as a favorite cruiseship stop. St. Croix, Antigua, St. Lucia, Dominica and all of the central American/Mexican ports, are all looking to increase their participation in the cruise industries. St. Croix lost their standing a few years back b/c they could not control their criminals.

Carnival is not going to have their ship excursions attacked. Last time this happened in Limon, Costa Rico, Carnival immediately cancelled all stops to the port city until the authorities could convince Carnival that their passengers are going to be safe and well protected.

I don't know what these stupid thugs were thinking. Their own people will take them out b/c they are messing with everyone's bread and butter.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Hard to believe it was a ship sponsored excursion. How sad! And...how scarey! I was on the Liberty when the passengers were robbed and that 70 year old guy killed the mugger! It was hush hush -- and havn't heard a word since. Thank GOD that guy was there to protect his fellow passengers! I never did like Jamaica - and wish they would cancel that port, but I guess it could happen at all ports!
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

It happened on the Conquest this week. Most of the stuff was found later in the trash.

I disagree about cancelling the port. If that was the case, then we would not have ports like New York, and Miami. Think about it!!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:15 AM
First Mate

I hope that in ports where things like this have happened, the country/city would have a police officer or two at the excursion locations like the plantation, zoos, etc, not just at the straw markets and shopping areas. I'm glad to hear no one was physically injured; however, especially for that 10 year old and his family, the psychological trauma will always be there.
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

I HATE JAMAICA.. I was there this week and felt like I was going to be robbed in broad daylight. We left all our valuables on board and only had about $100 anyway.
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:59 AM
First Mate

I been to Jamaica twice. I did not feel safe there. I was harassed from the minute I cleared customs to the minute I left. Everyone, I mean everyone, tried to sell me drugs. The limo driver, some guy in the bathroom, the maid, the life guard, the security guard, even the lady at the bakery tried to sell me hash brownies.

I would never take my child there. No surprise to me at all what happened.

Brian

Sensation
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Admiral

The fact that the cruise port at Ocho Rios has it's own shopping area, fenced in from the natives tells you a large story. I stopped getting off the ship in Jamaica a long time ago. It's a beautiful island, but simply not worth the hassle you get from the locals. I used to enjoy the "Fern Gully" tour, but that tour too got robbed!

Ken
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:44 AM
First Mate

I think cancelling the stop for a while would get their attention. I picked Sandals to go to in Montego Bay, and it's the ship excursion. Hopefully we won't be hassled.

I hear a lot of people loving Jamaica, but more people that hate it.
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
It happened on the Conquest this week. Most of the stuff was found later in the trash.

I disagree about cancelling the port. If that was the case, then we would not have ports like New York, and Miami. Think about it!!
Hey!! Hey!!!! I resemble that!!

Us New Yorkers only rob individuals who venture out in the middle of the night alone and drunk. We would never dream of robbing an entire group tour. That is so not done!!!!!

Based on the comments on this thread, Jamaica is out of control and needs to reign itself in. I was in Ochos Rios in 2003 on a cruise and walked around a bit. That was the only island I have ever visited thus far that had that air of danger. Everyone is trying to hustle cruise passengers.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Passenger

We went to Montego Bay and it was horrible. This was a cou0le of years ago and I did not feel safe either. Some told us that the other side of the island was much nicer but it does not sound like it. I would not mind going back to the carribean but if Jamaica was part of the itinerary, I'd stay on board.
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:24 PM
First Mate

It's interesting that the thieves used a gun, because gun ownership in Jamaica is completely illegal. Normally most murders there are committed with a machete.

I felt safe when I lived there, but it was 35 years ago and we lived in Kingston. We drove all over the island (to scuba dive) and never had a problem...
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I did not mean to insult NY or Miami, I just can't understand why people would not get off the ship, and explore this beautiful island. It is true that you feel a sense of danger, but you can also feel that in many American cities.

I would hate for anyone to get hurt, but I would also hate for someone to miss the good parts of the island, because they were so scared.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:42 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
I did not mean to insult NY o
When was the last time you went to NY? Mid town Manhattan tourist areas have to be about the safest areas I can think of to vacation. I visit a relative once a month that requires me taking the train in and the subway to Brooklyn. Tourists everywhere. The only thing that scares me is that someone will notice my ipod is only a 4 GB model.

Brian

Sensation
Old June 19th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Admiral

it's very sad, now, that you can't even go to your local shopping mall without wondering if some freak is gong to pull our a gun and start shooting at random people. When on vacation, the same thing applies.

However, I agree that if a destination has instances of crime against tourists, cruiselines and vacation package companies should stop going to these destinations. If criminals are attacking groups, not just individuals, they are way too aggressive.

Of course, I'm sure there's at least one person on every cruise ship that, given the opportunity, would steal from another passenger or possibly harm them. It's just a small microcosm of the general population. I would never let my guard down on a ship as I never let my guard down in a local mall.

It's sad that you really can't trust people you don't know (and even sometimes those you do!) but it's important to know about these travel incidents so the rest of us can be informed.
Old June 19th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Passenger

I am not sure whether taking a taxi to Margaritaville is even safe now.
Old June 19th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Admiral

This type of thing can happen anywhere. We had a gang of thugs beat the CR** out of a security guard at the MGM. The same group of thugs busted up a picknic and killed one person.

That is why I LEGALLY carry my G17 on my right hip where ever I go.

Cannot LEGALLY carry outside the USA, but that is what pepper spay is for.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 19th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I would have said that Jamaica was a relatively safe port until 2005. We had visited Jamaica on four previous occasions and in 2005 we saw a completely different scene in the port area and farther outside.

I no longer had the "comfortable" feeling that I previously had, especially in the port area. I have been in a number of unsafe places and this was an area that made me very uncomfortable. I could care less if someone tries to sell me "ganja" but it's when I feel they are going to rob me or do something worse is when I get "uncomfortable".

I do think that the cruise lines need to shut down Ocho Rios for awhile until they get their act together. This would get their attention.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 19th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Beginner

I've been to Jamaica 3 seperate times on land vacations, and each time I stayed at a small resort west of Ocho Rios. Twice I have been to Ocho Rios on cruise ships and the experiences where as different as night and day. The ships arriving into the port attract the worse in the native Jamaicans. The three land vacations were fabulous, my wife and I toured the countryside with a cook from the hotel and were treated to one of the nicest days ever, walking through Falmouth and hitch hiking into the mountains, it was great, and we never felt uncomfortable. But the two times that I've been there on ships have neith been anything more than a hassle dealing with venders and drug pushers.
Old June 19th, 2007, 05:14 PM
First Mate

danacline:
You said you were surprised that they used a gun, because in Jamica it is illegal. Well, robbing people is against the law also, and they still did it.

I forgive you Luanne for saying that about NY. I live in NY about 15 or 20 minutes from Manhattan and I feel very safe. Even to go into Manhattan I feel safe. I feel there is crime everywhere, maybe in more places than others, but there is crime everywhere.

Tweetybird
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Admiral

I have been to Jamiaca three times as a cruise destination; I can say that in my opinion it has progressively gotten worse. The last time we were a group of 4 and still having three men with me I was still nervous about the natives as they were beyond pushy. We walked from the port down to the Hard Rock and a couple of shops and back to Margaritaville and I felt it was the longest walk of my life. Nor do I feel safe with the cab drivers. I do believe I will have to watch and see if security is increased before I plan to go to Ochio Rios again. It is a shame, as it is a beautiful country and I have met some of the nicest, most colorful people in the past.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
I would have said that Jamaica was a relatively safe port until 2005. We had visited Jamaica on four previous occasions and in 2005 we saw a completely different scene in the port area and farther outside.

I no longer had the "comfortable" feeling that I previously had, especially in the port area. I have been in a number of unsafe places and this was an area that made me very uncomfortable. I could care less if someone tries to sell me "ganja" but it's when I feel they are going to rob me or do something worse is when I get "uncomfortable".

I do think that the cruise lines need to shut down Ocho Rios for awhile until they get their act together. This would get their attention.
I agree Mike, shut it down and get their attention to clean it up! :evil:
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Admiral

what is the speculation as to why it has gotten worse?

do you think the locals have gotten more destitute (more desperate) from the storms that have hit their island the past couple of years

is the crime driven by their economy or is it due to drugs or something else?
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Beginner

Being one of the 17 robbed and machete and gun point I wanted to offer my story through the eyes of my father and my two daughter grandfather

June 20, 2007

Subject: Grandfather’s Perspective (Jamaica)

This is a particularly sad day for me. As, I realize that, already this morning the Carnival Cruise Line ship “The Conquest? has docked in Jamaica. Other grandfathers have families disembarking there, without a true understanding of how violent and dangerous, that place has become. They have all been repeatedly warned by the ship’s “Audio-Video? system, to take only “ship sponsored? shore excursions; that they are “Insured? and “Safe?. They are not “SAFE?, and you should eye that word “INSURED? with great skepticism.

Just one week ago, June 13, my two young granddaughters, daughter, and wife were among the guests aboard that ship. They had elected to take a “ship sponsored? but, by no means free, tour of a Banana Plantation. They were part of a group of 17 ship’s guests, which had purchased tickets from the cruise line, to take the first tour of that day. The group was delivered by bus to the entrance of the plantation, and there abandon by their tour guide, and bus driver (they stayed with the bus). There, the group was turned over to a very old plantation employee, driving an old John Deere Tractor and pulling a trolley to tour the plantation.

As a news story I will defer to: “The Jamaica Observer? and the “Jamaica Gleaner? which printed accounts of the incident, along with some Television coverage, in Galveston, Houston and Dallas. I am referring to: “The June 13 Armed Robbery of 17 guests of the Conquest during a Ship Sponsored shore excursion, to a Banana Plantation, in Jamaica?.

Somewhere near 11:00 AM, during the tour, there emerged from the trees two “Drug Crazed? Thugs, both with guns, one also had a machete. They ordered to old man to stop. Then they began expressing their opinion of “foreigners? using the “F? word in every threat. They demanded everything, and were saying, people who hold out, would be killed. Then at one point they said that would kill everybody. They took it all: money, jewelry, identifications, credit cards, cameras. Then they ordered everyone to stand. They all thought this was in order to “Execute? the entire group. The children were crying and begging for their lives, parents and grandparents were completely helpless to come to the aid of their children, they were all suffering the greatest trauma of their lives. The children had guns shoved into their face, their lives threatened, and robbed of everything, just like everybody else. And, by armed and “Vulgar? gunmen, who had already expressed their bitter dislike for “Foreigners?. The statement that, they would “all be killed? was very easy to believe.

The two Jamaican newspapers mentioned above, both reported the two Armed Thugs were encountered, and they still wanted to fight. They reported that one was killed, and the other one escaped. Given the very small amount of valuables returned by the police, it must be that: “The Escapee? has just about all the valuables, and all the cash and credit cards. Not even one “crumpled up? Dollar Bill was returned. I’ll leave that to your speculation.

My girls were on an “all girls? cruise, so neither our son-in-law, nor I, was there. They did advise us by phone, that same afternoon, of the horrible incident, and the predicament that they were in, and they were so far away. They were still days away from returning to Port in Galveston. When I try to comprehend the horror that happened to my family - I can’t. My mind makes it to Fear, Anger, Hate, Revenge – then shuts down, overloaded I guess.

To the extent that these thugs could not carry on their vicious trade, without the vulnerable guest, I think the cruise lines are acting as “enablers?. Think about it carefully before you allow any cruise line to carry your family to Jamaica, it is a violent and lawless place.

There is plenty information on line about Jamaica. I don’t think there is any such thing as a “Safe? shore excursion there.
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Passenger

First of all let me express my condolences to you, your family and the other families that were traumatized by this brutal attack. I cannot even fathom standing by while my child was screaming for their life.

What I do find interesting is the lack of information about this in the press. I live in Northern California and there was a snipet about this on the 5pm news and that was the first and last I heard about it. Nothing in any other news broadcast on any other channel. I searched online to find out more information. Seems as though someone does not want this information publicized. I posted it in the carnival cruise line message board as well as the carribean message board. I have not read any responses from Carnival which is unacceptable.

I had read that supposedly Carnival was cancelling any excursions to the banana plantation. If this is true, my opinion is that this is not enough. ALL stops in Jamaica should be cancelled. The fact that none of the money was returned does not surprise me. This is a country where obviously there is a lot of corruption. How big is Jamaica? I don't imagine there are too many places where the jewelry can be fenced. It all sounds a little sketchy to me.

If Carnival does not do anything, as consumers we can send a message loud and clear - cancel your excursions in Jamaica and stay on the ship. This will get someone's attention.

Again, I hope all of the 17 passengers and their families are able to recover from this atrocity.
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Wow. I am so sorry for this unpleasant experience and am very very thankful that no one got hurt.

So the property wasn't returned as originally reported. Hmmmmmmm I wonder who got most of it, the thief or the police.

O.K. that is a wrap for me and jamaica. I think I will give jamaica a chance to get its act together b4 i visit again

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Beginner

Quote:
First of all let me express my condolences to you, your family and the other families that were traumatized by this brutal attack. I cannot even fathom standing by while my child was screaming for their life.

What I do find interesting is the lack of information about this in the press. I live in Northern California and there was a snipet about this on the 5pm news and that was the first and last I heard about it. Nothing in any other news broadcast on any other channel. I searched online to find out more information. Seems as though someone does not want this information publicized. I posted it in the carnival cruise line message board as well as the carribean message board. I have not read any responses from Carnival which is unacceptable.

I had read that supposedly Carnival was cancelling any excursions to the banana plantation. If this is true, my opinion is that this is not enough. ALL stops in Jamaica should be cancelled. The fact that none of the money was returned does not surprise me. This is a country where obviously there is a lot of corruption. How big is Jamaica? I don't imagine there are too many places where the jewelry can be fenced. It all sounds a little sketchy to me.

If Carnival does not do anything, as consumers we can send a message loud and clear - cancel your excursions in Jamaica and stay on the ship. This will get someone's attention.

Again, I hope all of the 17 passengers and their families are able to recover from this atrocity.

Well I can honestly say if all cruise line stopped going to the port of Jamaica it would make us happy. It would send a message and maybe they would clean up the island and make it safer someday to travel there.
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Wow. I am so sorry for this unpleasant experience and am very very thankful that no one got hurt.

So the property wasn't returned as originally reported. Hmmmmmmm I wonder who got most of it, the thief or the police.

O.K. that is a wrap for me and jamaica. I think I will give jamaica a chance to get its act together b4 i visit again
You are correct the majority of the property has not been returned. And of the 3 cameras that were returned the memory cards were gone from them and no on can telll us who has them.